View Single Post
Citizen

Enchanted 
Citizen

The first thing I noticed in this card is those little coloured balls, or spheres, as you called them Sulis. They were interesting but I was really at a loss to figure out what they could represent. So I turned to the LWB, which says they "symbolise the seeds of both past and future". That was really interesting to me to think of these as 'seeds'. If the Tower is seen to represent something which causes you to begin building foundations once again, it is very hopeful and almost comforting to think that you have these seeds, that you can now move on to discard and leave behind or nourish and water in the Star. I'm reminded of a saying which goes something like, in every ending, there is the seeds of a new beginning.

I've been looking into the Tower card in general recently and have been considering it in terms of repressed anger or emotions which have been bottled up and now exploded. The Tower is a card of shake ups, rocked to the core. I began to think of it as what happens when you shake up a bottle of fizzy drink, you then let the pressure off by removing the cap, much like the lid has flipped off this tower... and out it all spills... pop! So in the Tower, is the lid being lifted, pressure released? In this respect, I saw the little balls as all the little things that had built up to that moment... the stack is blown!

The idea of the 'seed' also plays out quite well, with the more phallic interpretations of this card. And it also ties in quite nicely with Mars. In "Pictures of the Heart" there is a quote concerning Mars which I quite like "libido and passion without a brain". I've been turning my attention lately to the Greek myths, so Mars is Ares. In ancient times, he was said to be first associated with fertility, then later war. I also found it funny in a way that Ares consort is said to be Aphrodite... LOL... love and war! And the lightning bolt, a mark of Zeus, who is Ares father. I think that could probably be developed a whole lot further than I have here.

The two people on the card almost look like trapeze artists to me, like they are going to try to grab hold of one another as they fall from the Tower. That made me think of in such 'tower' like times how you try to grab on to what you know, the familiar, safe.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sulis
On the side of the tower is a large cross which looks a little like one of those slits used to fire arrows from but the sign of the cross brings to mind the notion of divine intervention or a sign or revelation sent from God or the Heavens.
I'm glad you said that, as I had in my notes... cross??? Destruction of beliefs??? But I like yours much better!
Quote:
This then is numerically linked to The Chariot (they are both sevens), yet The Tower seems to be the antithesis of The Chariot which is a card about taking control. In The Tower control is taken away and we are in the hands of the gods....
Maybe this is why it's seen as such a scary card, as being out of control is the utmost in scariness for many people.
I really like this also, I had a question mark there too.

Astrologically speaking, the only things that are coming to mind at the moment associated with Mars is firstly energy... Mars gets things done, it is about power of action. And that it is the ruler of the 1st house. Which is kind of interesting in terms of this card being seen as a breakdown of the ego or limiting self beliefs. The 1st house, is your image, what you think you are, how you appear to others, superficialities, the social mask but not your true self. But this is very basic, and I'm sure this is only scatching the surface there as well.
Quote:
I find it significant that in this depiction of The Tower there is no door so I presume that the people who are now falling from it's battlements were in fact prisoners inside.
Did they construct the tower themselves? Is it a prison of their own making which now they are free from?
How funny I hadn't noticed there was no door. If there is no door how did they get in? I agree it must be self built.

For such a simple looking card, there sure is a lot there!
Top   #2