6 of Pentacles Reversed - Possible Interp?

PentQueen

I recently rec'd this card in the 'how do others see you?' position, and the reader's interp (thanks faerylvr) was that I am seen as generous to a fault. While I'm not overlooking this interp, I've been feeling that there's more to the story, and that I might be the beggar as opposed to the giver. Anyway, it's been a great opportunity to become more aquainted with this card; particularly as we're so often intruiged about how others see us.

Upright, I see this card relating to strength somewhat; pointing to a balanced relationship between two very opposite roles. Where strength is balancing passivity and agression, the six of pentacles is harmonizing the acts of giving and receiving. Everyone knows and accepts their roles, and is even happy to play them: the beggars need, and therefore recieve, and give back via their gratititude. The giver has, so therefore gives, but recieves a sense of well-being from having helped those less fortunate. Everybody gives and recieves in the end. The downside to this card, is that those looking for independance need look elsewhere; neither side can exist without the other, so it's essentially a tied/dependant relationship.

So turn this card upsidedown, and what esle could it mean? Could it be that the dependance is still there, but the power has been abused? That the giver sees weakness in the beggars that he can take advantage of...almost like child labour or prostitution?

I don't want to suggest that my situation is this extreme, but perhaps in this particular placement reversed (how others see you), the 6 of pentacles could suggest that they see me as the beggar (and themselves as the giver); that the beggar is lacking strength and security, and therefore can be easily formed to make dependant on them?

Could the reversed position also point to my rejecting of this 'dependant' role? The spread included the 9 of pentacles reversed (as how I see myself), which makes me think of my own deferred desire toward independance.

Any thoughts? I'm racking my brain with this one! It has been an interesting card to ponder though!

Sophie

I see some kind of codependency in this reversed 6 of Pents. Upright, it is a very equal relationship, as you say - 6 is the number of harmony, and so ressources are shared equally, there is reciprocity. There is also harmony in how one uses one's own personal ressources - not spending all our time in front of the computer, but going out to walk and enjoy nature too, for example.

Reverse that, and you don't have harmony - you have a situation where one is trying to control the other, or is dependent or codependent on the other. Ressources leak out or are not used in a balanced manner.

So - you could be seen as dependent; codependent; controlling through the use of ressources (either giving too much or withholding, in order to obtain a result); or it could be thought that you are not pulling your weight in a relationship, or that you are actually doing too much. This need not be in relation to someone else: perhaps you are thought to give too much of your personal ressources towards something in your life (e.g. studying) and not enough towards something else (e.g. social life).

starrystarrynight

I think this card (Rx) is about an inequality of balance or harmony. Since it is a Pentacle--and therefore, often is about money or real property--it can turn up when someone is losing money from investments he has made, or has to divide up assets due to a divorce or business partnership dissolving--and the division doesn't seem to come out fair or equal.

Somehow, the balance of the upright Six of Pentacles is not there, so it could also signify the lack of charity in a situation (and by extension, selfishness, IMO.) Somebody isn't getting what he may think he deserves...

GoddessArtemis

I haven't read others' responses yet, so sorry if this is redundant. But I see this card reversed as, "needy" or "dependent".

That's what just popped into my head. :)

GA

PentQueen

Fudugazi said:
I see some kind of codependency in this reversed 6 of Pents. You don't have harmony - you have a situation where one is trying to control the other, or is dependent or codependent on the other. Ressources leak out or are not used in a balanced manner.

Yes, I agree...for some reason this is how I'm seeing the card too...just not sure what the specifics are.

Fudugazi said:
ISo - you could be seen as dependent; codependent; controlling through the use of ressources (either giving too much or withholding, in order to obtain a result); or it could be thought that you are not pulling your weight in a relationship, or that you are actually doing too much. This need not be in relation to someone else: perhaps you are thought to give too much of your personal ressources towards something in your life (e.g. studying) and not enough towards something else (e.g. social life).

Hmm...most of this would be correct I think. Started out by giving too much, and now am withholding/not available. I don't see myself or like to like to think of myself as dependant on anyone, but I feel as though others see me in this way, and like to nurture this quality; and then somehow I seem to get sucked into these type of relationships, becuase I don't do anything to stop it once I'm in it. But ultimately, it seems as though they have decided that I don't have enough/know enough, etc. so they will 'take me under their wing' so to speak. But really, I'm content with going along at my own pace, and I'd rather achieve success on my own and on my own terms.

starrystarrynight said:
I think this card (Rx) is about an inequality of balance or harmony. Since it is a Pentacle--and therefore, often is about money or real property--it can turn up when someone is losing money from investments he has made, or has to divide up assets due to a divorce or business partnership dissolving--and the division doesn't seem to come out fair or equal.Somehow, the balance of the upright Six of Pentacles is not there, so it could also signify the lack of charity in a situation (and by extension, selfishness, IMO.) Somebody isn't getting what he may think he deserves...

This is an interesting interp...seems right on the 'money' actually. :) There are really two relationships ending right now. And both men have been fixated on the money for some reason. I'm not into money, I work very hard for my own, and don't have a lot to play around with, but it doesn't concern me; I can have a good time just gazing up at the stars. It's strange to me that I might give off the vibe of needing to be spoiled, becuase I grew up pretty poor, and I don't have a lifestyle that needs to be 'maintained'.

Anyway, your interp seems just right. My long-term relationship is breaking up, and to my surprise, my partner said: "well thankfully, I don't have anyone depending on me anymore". He has been working hard and saving his money for several years, but I didn't see much of it, so this seemed strange to me, that he might have been working so hard to support 'me'. Anyway, it would appear that the loss of the relationship is connected to his work/money for him. This is very strange and sad to me, because if I ever wanted to be spoiled, it was with affection...but he spent so much time working and worrying about finances, that this never happend.

The other man has spent a fortune on gifts and outings (probably to get in my pants), which has been nice, becuase the affection that I've lacked, is somewhat present in these gifts. Anyway, It appears that the more he gives, the more he expects in return, so I've told him that I need time to grieve the ending of my long-term relationship before getting too involved with him; he likely sees a loss of investments with this.

GoddessArtemis said:
I haven't read others' responses yet, so sorry if this is redundant. But I see this card reversed as, "needy" or "dependent".

That's what just popped into my head

I would agree with this. I think this is how others see me, but it's not how I see myself or want to be seen.