Fairytale Tarot -- The Chariot

Onyx

The Fairytale linked to this card is the Hans Christian Anderson's The Snow Queen. Here is a link to a website that has a fuller version of the tale.
http://www.readbookonline.net/title/107/

*To start out I have to say that this story must have in some way served to inspire C. S. Lewis in his "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe."

* For me there is a sense of disappointment that the real hero of the fairytale is not depicted on the card, Gerda. She shows so many positive traits of the Chariot in what that could have been illustrated on the card.

- She is the one who triumphs through control, dedication and her firm resolve to find and rescue her friend.
- She overcomes the many obstacles and bears the full and dangerous burden of the journey. This is done in many ways that her friend Kai never seems to realize or appreciate.

* The companion book speaks of the Snow Queen as the Charioteer but while it fits the card image I don't see that she represents the archetypal energy. (But this is just my opinion and I would love to see contrary views expressed.)

* The story fits the card very well. I would have almost preferred the image included in the book of Gerda on the reindeer though.

* In the end it looks as if many things happen almost by instinct, chance, luck, or reaction in others but it is Gerda who chooses how she will act in the story.

Onyx.