double twist on the astrological year spread

lunalafey

It has been an idea lurking in the back of my mind, but I could never quite seem to figure out how to mix the two different ways of reading the astrological year spread-
One way being by; houses and the areas of life they represent. for the year.
The other being; each card represents each month.

posted earlier in catti's thread{astrology and tarot merger } started a few weeks back
at the time- we where empty handed- but yesterday while looking through charts and thinking on the new year coming, it came to me-

it works like this-
first you must know what the rising sign on the person that the reading is for.....and what sign the sun is currently in....
prepare your cards-
the positions are 1-12...starting 1st/hs ARIES---
OK- let's say.....we are doing a reading for Miss T...she's a Leo rising and today's date is Oct 31....
the Sun is in Scorpio- so you start putting cards down at the Scorpio position-#8....work your way around.....
Starting with position #9....this is the coming month for Miss T, starting on the day when the Sun moves into Saggitarius...follow along month by month, by the signs (not calandar months).
So now there is a play by play of each months influences......
NOW- for the year as a whole....focusing an the 'areas' in life, the parts of life designated by the houses--
since Miss T is a Leo rising.....we go to the card in position #5, this card expresses the influences upon Miss T and things related to the 1st house...for the whole year......follow that around......

so those how are thinking of doing a year spread- please consider this for I would like to see how it works with more than one example....

DeLani

Umm, OK, maybe I'm confused, so let me ask...
So, you take the person's chart and lay out the cards starting at their rising sign? Or their sun sign? If you are doing the spread on their birthday, wouldn't you start with their rising sign? Sorry if I'm being dense...

lunalafey

LOL- I often make sense to only myself-
but I'm glad you ask these questions here- because I can get into the specifics....

So, you take the person's chart and lay out the cards starting at their rising sign?
Or their sun sign?
If you are doing the spread on their birthday, wouldn't you start with their rising sign?

you start with the Sign that the Sun is in as we speak or at the time of the reading........I don't see the connection you are making with the birthday and rising (3rd Q).....but these are good questions for when the reading is done ON a birthday- there may be another way to do it using thier sun & rising signs and placing the cards differently.

normally the reading is done with 12 cards and the #1 position starts with Aries/1st house.....as in astrology with out a natal....

this year spread can be done at any time of the year.....
imagine the astrological wheel- #1 Aries {Solar position} is on the left....this position remains to the left. When a natal is done, the rising sign falls in this leftside position- in the spread- it does not....
the sun-sign positions remain the same as an astrological wheel....
The first card does not go into the #1 (aries) position....the first card goes in the sign position that the Sun is currently in....
So if a reading was done last week, the Sun is in sag, so you would start the cards at the sag position (solar position #9)
If the reading in done next week- then you would put the first card in the Capricorn position (#10)......lay out all 12 cards....
now start with the seconed card you put down....this is the first card for the coming year- (say we did that capi sun reading) you would read the card that is in the Aquarius position- this is for the days while the Sun is in Aquarius.....make your way around the wheel each card for each sign- ending with the first card you put down in the capricorn position......so that is the month by month forcast....each card expressing the 30 days that the Sun is in that sign......NOW.......
for the rising sign part.......looking at the cards as you have them layed out- they don't get moved around- they keep thier positions......say the person this reading is for, has a Cancer rising.....(4th card from the left- 8th card you put down, cuz you started with #9)..... the card that is in the Cancer position no-longer reflects the days in june/july....but expresses the influences upon 1st house associations......

if that does not straighten it out for you- let me know.....

lunalafey

SAMPLE~ here's mine:

to make things easy to see- here is my astro spread for the next 12 solar months- starting on December 22, 2003-
the Sun was in Sagittarius, the STAR was my first card
I'm a Virgo rising

solar month................My house.....card
mar/apr-Aries.............8th Hs........5 of Pentacles
apr/may-Taurus..........9th/Hs.......Queen of Swords rx
may/jun-Gemini..........10th Hs......3 of Wands
jun/jul-Cancer.............11th Hs.....XIII~ DEATH rx
jul/aug-Leo.................12th Hs......4 of Wands
aug/sep-Virgo...............1st Hs......2 of Cups rx
sep/oct-Libra................2nd Hs.......6 of Wands
oct/nov-Scorpio.............3rd Hs.....V~ HIEROPHANT
nov/dec-Sagittarius......4th Hs.....XVII~ STAR rx
dec/jan-Capricorn.........5th Hs.....IX~ HERMIT rx
jan/feb-Aquarius...........6th Hs......Queen of Wands
feb/mar-Picses..............7th Hs.......7 of Cups rx

This is the card I start my reading with. This card represents the time period from Dec. 21 to Jan 20....
When it comes to houses, I start my reading with the 2 of Cups, this card influences the 1st house associations....

I have been going through and connecting elements between the cards and the signs and such....have not even gotten into reading the month to month reading or even the house influences. Just these sign and element connections with the astrological and cards is interesting enough- once I get that part of the spread together, I will post what I have found.
I will have to do the Hermit soon too...

*edited to adjust colors for better viewing- I hope this is better mg~

Moongold

Lunalafey …. you start with the Sign that the Sun is in as we speak or at the time of the reading

Luna, I am a little confused about what you are trying to do. I am sure there is a clear explanation but I have obviously missed it or complicated it beyond recognition :D

………………………………………………..10………………………………………………………
……………………………….11……………………………9……………………………………
……………………..12………………………………………………….8…………………………….
…………1……………………………………13……………………………….7…………………..
………………………2…………………………………………….6………………………………..
…………………………………3……………………………5……………………………………..
………………………………………………….4……………………………………………………..

The above is my understanding of the astrological spread, which can be used for both signs and houses. Use of this spread with signs could focus on the year ahead or a mixture of past, present an future but with houses would focus on a picture of the life. I guess you would have to be clear with your intentions before you commenced the reading. Also, depending on where the Querent’s birthday is, you would need to be clear about which time period you wanted to read for.

I am curious and eager to understand what you are trying to do :).

Could I ask you also not to write in colour unless it is yellow or gold because I find it almost impossible to read. Many thanks.

Moongold

lunalafey

The idea is to mix both house influences and a month by month play by play into one spread.
I can use this spread for one or the other, but not both together.
This turns a well known spread into a unique "personalized' indepth yearly reading.

depending on where the Querent’s birthday is, you would need to be clear about which time period you wanted to read for.
the only thing about birthday- related to the spread is where the rising sign is.
the time period is established as a year spread.

for you, moongold- let's say you do your reading right at the new year- the sun is in Capricorn. Keeping the common 1-12 positions, 1 being at the 9 o'clock position, put your first card in position #10
this will end up being the last card you read for the month by month....the second card is the one you start with....and this reflects the time while the sun is in AQU....
You have a Capricorn rising....go to the first card you put down, the one in the #10 position, this card expresses 1st house issues...

aries position for a virgo or capricorn rising just does not feel right. the astrospread as used commonly- you read 1st house influences, with a card that falls in an aries position.....fine if you are an aries rising. I can use an aries/1st house position in combination with any "question", but not in a year spread-
I tried twice, to read this spread for the yearly influence by house and by solar month with the same card representing each of the two- it was blahh! I could not seem to merge the two within one whole reading. The positions and cards where(? hard to explain) repetative.
Maybe some already lay cards down in relation to the placement of the sun during the reading- I never have....until now.

DeLani

OK, I think I've got it.
So you start laying out the cards in the sign/house the sun is in currently, going around the wheel till it's complete. You then read each card as an indicator of the months ahead (Aries = March/April, etc.) AND the house issues in the querent? Have I got that right? Wouldn't that mean that everyone has to deal with 1st house issues in March & April? Or am I missing something again? :p sorry for being so dense!

lunalafey

DeLani said:
OK, I think I've got it.
AND the house issues in the querent? Have I got that right? Wouldn't that mean that everyone has to deal with 1st house issues in March & April? Or am I missing something again?

yes- you got the month to month part-
what is your rising sign?.....read that card/sign as your 1st house areas....like I expressed before, i did not like the part where everyone has aries as first house- just not personally specific & fitting.
don't feel bad for not 'getting it'.....it took me years of thinking to put the two ways of using the spread into one- which not that it's out seems silly that it took so long..

Moongold

luna..........

I just can't understand it and dare not post any more for fear of demonstrating profound and absolute ignorance :D.

You mention month by month but have months grouped in signs.

My printer isn't working at the moment so I can't print off the thread and look at it in toto.

What is the overarching principle in simple language? That would help me I think.

Moongold

dadsnook2000

I like it

Lunalafey, I like your spread. I'm trying to get our local Tarot Circle here in New England to take this on as a trial project so we can all get the experience of several readings. I'll be trying it out over the next few days. It looks quite sound and for us astrologers who have used the house spread before, it looks like a natural. Dave.