The Transparent Tarot

Sidhe-Ra

Okay, time for my next deck! my markers arrived today, and I've given myself completely awful cramp in my hands by completing four cards in an afternoon :)

This was one of those ideas that burst into my head in the middle of the night and refused to let me get to sleep! It does exactly what it says on the box- Transparent Tarot. The images are designed to be printed on acetate,(I will laminate them to make them stiff enough to shuffle), and then laid over each other. Of course, you can read them seperately like a normal deck, but images can be combined as you see fit with a reading- probably the limit would be three or four to be dephirable. I'm pretty sure this hasn't been done before, so it's an exciting experiment! (Plus I have copyrighted the idea- not that I don't trust you, but you know...)

The images are felt-tip pointalism on plain paper- below is the work I've done today, and examples of how the images can be combined.

Please let me know what you think!

(On days when I get really fed up of tiny dots, I shall be working on another deck, the Middle earth tarot, which will be nice flowing acrylics on canvas. Hopefully have some art to show you from that soon :))

Blessings,

Em x

Attachments

• Empress.jpg
    Empress.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 1,168
  • Emperor.jpg
    Emperor.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 969
  • sun.jpg
    sun.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 929
  • hermit.jpg
    hermit.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 902

gregory

WOW - brilliant concept. The cards are still downloading (dial-up you know..... :(), but given the Sidhe, they will be lovely !

PS they ARE lovely ! For some reason I expected black and white. More please - and soon. By the way - will you manage to find a commercial printer or will you have to handmake them all ?

Sidhe-Ra

combined images

Below you can see The Emperor and Empress combined, the Emperor, Empress and Sun combined, the Emperor, Empress, Sun and Hermit combined.

As you can see, I'm trying to avoid human figures or personification in the majors, to keep them simple, and to provide a background for the minors, which will be human sillhouettes mostly. :)

Hope you like! i'm quite excited :)

Blessings,

Em xx

Attachments

• combined 3+4small.jpg
    combined 3+4small.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 777
  • combined 3+4+19small.jpg
    combined 3+4+19small.jpg
    100.1 KB · Views: 705
  • combined 3+4+9+19small.jpg
    combined 3+4+9+19small.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 732

Annabelle

Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! What a fantastic concept . . . and beautiful execution!

I would love to buy a copy :D!!

jackdaw*

That's incredible! I'm sure somebody here can correct me if I'm wrong (Jeannette? Morwenna? truelighth?), but I daresay that something like this hasn't been done before. I thought it sounded weird, but the visuals of the combined cards are great!

Sidhe-Ra

gregory said:
WOW - brilliant concept. The cards are still downloading (dial-up you know..... :(), but given the Sidhe, they will be lovely !

Thanks Gregory,Annabelle4, Morwenna and Jackdaw!

They are intentionally quite different from the Sidhe- I wanted to really experiment and stretch myself. Certain cards, such as the Empress and Emperor, which SHOULD pair up, are intentionally designed to fit together. As I go on, I'm sure I'll come across some awkward ones who refuse to get on!

Blessings,

Em xx

Sidhe-Ra

P.S. I'm going to handmake them. I have it all planned out! Transparent boxes, with a large white silk reading cloth. I have them all sourced and ready, and I hope to be finished in a few months :)

Em xx

gregory

Annabelle4 said:
Awesome!!!!!!!!!!! What a fantastic concept . . . and beautiful execution!

I would love to buy a copy !!

So would I. Just in case you only make a couple, she's first and I'm second ! ;)

The only other transparent cards I know of are the VERY naughty ones.... (RWS clone)

Chronata

This is brilliant Em!

A long time ago, I had a similar idea...tarot images on acetate that can be layered...

but mine were cutouts of RWS shapes...meant to be layered on other cards in that deck. http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=15748

Your idea is much much better! More efficiant...and looks beautiful, as well!

well done!

There is a playing card game out there where you are meant to layer multiple cards too...but again, I think...the tarot idea is far more intriguing!

Can't wait to see more!

Sidhe-Ra

Oh, yes? What's the name of the deck? Or is it too naughty for a wide-eyed innocent as myself... ;)