Spread-Less?

FutureMoth

Is it possible to do a reading without a preset spread? I have something I want to ask about, and I know what I want to find out. However, I feel a strange feeling that I know what cards to place where. But it's not a spread that I have beforehand.
Has this ever happened to anyone?

GreenMoonBeam

I think yes. (then what do I know as I am a newbie LOL) But, seriously yes.
You are taking the medium of Tarot and putting down the cards to read. So
the manner/choice is yours. If you can read the message, why does it need be
a pre-set spread? Think like you are creating a communication ....do it to your
own choice. As far as I understand there is no copyright or such on spreads.

What I would then like to know is how you find the reading.... unless it is far too
personal.

GB! :)

( running away just in case }) )

SGrossberg

Tarot is less about rules, and more about how your mind/spirit/intuition relate to the cards you draw and place. It is less about prescribed spreads by others, and more about what you are able to discern (even if the spreads are created from the inspiration of the moment). I propose that Tarot is less about what you told to do, and more about what feels right for you.

I agree that, if you are able to receive a message, discern a pattern, or read a theme, then go with what feels right. This is not about what you "should" do, it is about what you choose to do.

This is not to take away from "spreads" as we commonly refer to them. Indeed, I think that you will gain much by having spreads as your normal standby as they give programming, expectation, and focus. Often, however, my normal spreads take on a different configuration as inspiration takes over (and I anticipate others on this forum have the same experience).

Remember, this is about "substance" not the "form" it takes.

Just some thoughts. Enjoy. - Scott

Umbrae

FutureMoth said:
Is it possible to do a reading without a preset spread?

Yes! I know a few pro readers who read this way all the time.

For myself, my spread positions are more like suggestions rather than 'set in stone'.

BrightEye

Yes, I read without spreads most of the time but tend to limit the number of cards. I usually use three, sometimes five, but not more than that. And it helps if you have a specific question.

thinbuddha

I haven't used a positional spread in years. I just grab a few cards (usually more than 4, less than 10) and read them.

Positional spreads never really felt right for me. Once I realized that I didn't have to use them, it was liberating.

wilson

Well I'm just trying to get the hang of taroting but if it's advisable to use intuition in reading cards then surely it's going to be advisable to use intuition in laying cards too? If meanings aren't set in stone then I very much doubt spreads are.

afrosaxon

wilson said:
If meanings aren't set in stone then I very much doubt spreads are.

Spreads aren't set in stone, which is why so many people create their own or even tweak existing ones (do you know how many versions exist of the Celtic Cross? Exactly. :D).

I may experiment with different spreads here on AT when I give my increasingly infrequent readings, but in public (and for self-reading), I tend to do it freestyle: no spread, just toss cards until it feels right to stop, and pay attention to the unconscious/shadow card (at the bottom of the deck).
Franniee and Demon Goddess got me into this method :laugh: and I love it! It's much more natural for me.

I don't have the time or memory space to memorize the plethora of tarot spreads out there. If I have to use a "pre-set" spread, it's one that is fairly simple and sticks in my head: 3-card spreads (past/present/future, situation/advice/outcome), Umbrae's Relationship Spread (many find it difficult for some reason, but I find it quite easy yet deep), a 5-card spread that was recently used by Pippi in a reading she did for me :thumbsup:.

Keep plugging along till you find what works for you, wilson.

T.

Scion

FutureMoth said:
Is it possible to do a reading without a preset spread? I have something I want to ask about, and I know what I want to find out. However, I feel a strange feeling that I know what cards to place where. But it's not a spread that I have beforehand.
Has this ever happened to anyone?
I literally read without spreads all the time. The longer I've read, the less I use preset spreads.

shotthebreeze

I read with 3 cards all the time with no set spread. It gives me the most information, or so I've found.