Shadow Cards?

Knight of Hearts

Is it at the bottom? At what point in a reading should I find it and what does it mean? This interests me lately but I know precious little of it, obviously. I'd love to hear all about it. Thanks! :)

thorhammer

Hi, KoH :)

I don't always use the Shadow card - only when I feel that I should. It is the bottom card on the deck when I've finished shuffling. I shuffle hand-to-hand, and when I stop, I deal the cards for the spread from the top of the deck. The Shadow card is an additional clue to an underlying force or opposing energy or obstacle that is important to the energy of the reading.

I find it to be very powerful and really like to integrate the message of this card with the rest of my reading.

Good luck with it!

\m/ Kat

canid

Hi, I was interested also. Never heard of it. Here's one thing I found - Mary Greer refers to it as the Hidden Factor Card or the Teacher Card. Her book, "Tarot for Your Self" discusses the subject. It is based on the work of Angeles Arrien on Tarot Lifetime Cards.

Maggiemay

I had never heard of it. I'll look into it from now on. Thanks

byrgypsy

WOW... I have used that card for yrs. I just never knew it was called the shadow card.

MysticalMoose

I like to use the Shadow or Base card as well. I shuffle as Kat does, hand to hand & deal from the top. Sometimes I will look at the bottom card when I've laid out the spread or sometiimes I will leave it until the end of the reading, it depends how I feel at the time, but I find it very useful. It always adds an extra dimension to the reading a sort of, something else to consider card, or even a reason/explanation for something pointed out in the main spread. :)

MM :love:

Knight of Hearts

I've been reading for over a year, feel I'm getting pretty good at it, and I think the extra dimension will be awesome. I also tried reversals early on, then went back to all upright until I could really get to know the cards. Probably going to give those a spin again too. These posts are so informative. Thanks everyone for your time! :heart:

Aladdin

'Shadow card'

For several years i've used the bottom card of the pack and cast it to the right for indication of an added dimension to 'near future'. in my simple spreads which are always splammed out in line, never cut or piled up or cards taken off the top for convenience.... Everyone works to their own ways, good thing too !