Reverse cards: to use or not to use

tarotenthusiastako

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. Although I had given readings accurately in the past I feel that I am missing a lot of keywords and combination not learning the reverse card meanings. What's your take on this?

Starbeam

I personally think that everything can be told by the upright positions. However, I usually consider reversed cards to mean the same as if they were upright, but that they hold greater importance. On rare occasions, I feel that a reversed card DOES need to be read as traditional reversed cards are read, though.

rwcarter

Reversed meanings can be used with upright images. I don't use reversed cards, but apply reversed meanings to upright cards all the time. Some combo of positional meanings, intuition, the question and other cards in the reading will let me know that I need to apply a reversed meaning when the card is upright.

HTH,
Rodney

tarotenthusiastako

Hmmmmnn...quite interesting there Rodney as I myself do the same thing when reading this cards I adopt the meaning intuitevely and that a certain combination of cards usually give me the idea to give the reverse meaning.

Bloudwedd

There are many opinions about should I should I not read reversed cards. Equally many different ways of reading reversed cards... The only advice I could give is to try it on for a while. Decide what reversed cards means to you and read with it fir some times!

starrystarrynight

I think using the entire scope of a card's meaning (traditionally upright through reversed)--no matter how you arrive at considering it--gives you a fuller, richer reading. Personally, the best in-person readings I've gotten over the years have been given by readers who consider the whole gamut of upright-and-reversed "meanings."

Amanda

Yes, I think using reversed cards will enrich you on some unthought of meanings. Having a card hit you upside down will affect your take differently than just considering upright and reversed meanings while the card is strictly upright.

I am probably biased though because I started my tarot journey out with reversals and didn't go over to reading uprights only until much later. Now I typically read upright, and occassionally go back to my old faithful RWS deck to read reversals. But I think I learned a lot from having used reversals.

poivre

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. What's your take on this?

I feel it just depends on how confident you are with reading. After a while...
we all find our own truths to reading the cards...our way.

Sometimes for the reversed cards, I'll have the client pull another card from the deck.
I explain that the energy of the reversed card is block and another card will give
more info...and I find this works for me.

Find your way and enjoy...it's your choice of how you read.
:)

Narwhallove

Hello everyone,

I'm just wondering if not using a reverse cards I am missing a lot from my reading as having a reverse cards gives more additional meaning on the cards. Although I had given readings accurately in the past I feel that I am missing a lot of keywords and combination not learning the reverse card meanings. What's your take on this?

I started reading reversals, and then started wondering if I should, especially when reading for myself. I gave my brother a reading today and he shuffled my new deck of cards in such a way that there were no reversals. I didn't know this till we started reading!

It was strange! Maybe my natural inclination is to fret over reversals since they complicate matters, but on the other hand, no reversals meant less direction in how to read the card. Positive? Blocked? External or internal? Makes me think that reversals allow you to read upright cards fairly straightforwardly and alert you to the more nuanced matters with the reversed ones. So I think I'll carry on reading with reversals!

tarotenthusiastako

my only difficulty in reading reversals is I get so used to reading upright that if I have to start reading reversals I need to memorize again the keywords for the reversals that would take getting used to specially with the new info like that. how do uou deal with that?