Best Tarot Books

tarot heart

Hi all,

I am looking for information on what all ATers think is the best tarot book and a must have. Please include your reasons..thanks!

tarot heart

Hemera

All books by Joan Bunning.
They are very practical and down to earth and containg loads of information and ideas. I have been using them for years and I find myself returning back to them all the time.

Bazaf and Theler´s book "Crowley Tarot" is another very good one. It´s for a Thoth based deck, I think, but the book is just as good for RWS based decks.

gregory

ONE ? :bugeyed:

OK - if ONE - I need more info. About TAROT - history, background etc - or about reading ? My suggestion (I can JUST do "one" if I MUST) would be very different, depending which aspect you want to look at....

ETA - this will be a tough thread for you. I can't stand the line Joan Bunning takes in her books.... So that looks like a one all score so far :)

For READING - I would run with Mary Greer's 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card - totally non proscriptive and gives you loads of alternatives. For history - Huson's Mystical Origins of the Tarot.

tarot heart

best books

Ok, maybe I should have been a little more specific but I like the responses so far. Everyone has a different perspective on what they look for in a tarot book.

But, to narrow it down a little, I'm looking for books that not so much thorough as it is INSPIRING, meaning you want to get out the cards immediately and start working the cards.

For me the only book that comes close, that I have found so far, is A Magical Course in Tarot by Michele Morgan.

But please, I'd rather just know what you think the best book is, even if it's out of print.

tarot heart

gregory

Oh - right. In that case I'd stick with 21 Ways - OR - Ricklef's Tarot Tells the Tale - as I certainly wanted to get the cards out and read for Cinderella AT ONCE !

Huson would not make me want to get the cards out to use, and Bunning make me yawn - never mind annoying me terribly. But for one who likes Morgan's book - 21 Ways, I think...

callistoluna

Mary K Greer's Tarot For Yourself or 21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card - both are excellent.

tarot heart

best books

thanks calistolune and gregory

dlgriffin04

A great book for beginners so they can "jump" right in is Tarot Plain and Simple by Anthony Louis....you can get it on amazon for 11.53 It breaks each card down, upright and reversals. This is the book I started out with since I started reading cards two years ago. It also breaks down what each suit is and each number to help you learn each card. I've used this book so much it needs replaced lol.

tarot heart

more books!

very good suggestions indeed....keep 'em comin'

Libra8ca

"Tarot and the Tree of Life" by Isabel Kliegman is a must-have in my opinion. It really does a great job of analyzing the minor arcana cards. It's based on the RWS system. It also gives a brief overview of the Kabbalah and how it applies to the minor aracana. It's easy to read too!!