LS Secret Tarot- 4 of Wands

Jypsie

I had a problem with this card today and am eager to hear some more thoughts from you guys about it. A brief description (as I am short on time and energy)-
A redheaded young women dances in the forest, naked from the waist up. She is shedding a robe behind her, and seems to be prancing towards a stream/river where lily pads gently float along, four wands rise up from the water, placed there in formation along the riverbank.
The LWB definition makes me scratch my head with fervor- "unsatisfactory award"
How does this compare with a traditional definition, and what strings does this card pull with your intuition?

mj07

I usually ignore the LWB for this deck, in fact, I don't think I've even read it! which makes me wonder why was the problem you had with the card? did it have solely to do with the LWB?

I really see this one as supporting kind of the standard (RWS?) meaning of the card: a joyful beginning. wands are energy, fours are structure. in the RWS deck I believe it portrays people in celebration leaving a city (structure). This girl is SERIOUSLY leaving something (structure, constraing) behind, in the woods, shedding her clothes, and the four wands stand in a stream or pond, if I remember correctly, so even though they're solid, they're also rooted in nature, so they're not perceived as "trapping"...

those are just a few thoughts, anyway! I got this card the other day in a spread about my life, representing the circumstances of my birth!

contrascarpe

I agree with mj07 - I ignore the LWB for this deck. After all, this is the "Secret" tarot. Not much of a secret if someone is telling me something :)

I see this as a highly intuitive type of deck - one of the reasons I love the LS decks so much.

Dan

Centaur

contrascarpe96 said:
I see this as a highly intuitive type of deck - one of the reasons I love the LS decks so much.

Me too. :)

Mj07, I think it is fascinating that this card was drawn to represent your birth. If we look at the card, the four wands could represent the actual birth-vessel, and the person running forth could represent the newborn child.

Anyway... on another note... what has she been up to in those woods?! Hahaha. I sometimes think that she looks almost like she has been having a 'secret' rendezvous with a lover, and that the card depicts her returning from that rendezvous feeling rejuvenated and full of energy. Oh, and she has forgotten to put her clothes on!!!

I agree with what has been said before re. the card's connection with celebrations. I very much see this card a a joyous card... energy is high, and there is a general positive feeling.

With regards to the LWB, I too cannot see how 'unsatisfactory reward' relates to the image on the card. Oooo... but I do have to disagree with what has been said before, and state that I have read the LWB... not so much the interpretations, BUT the little story of the land of Secrets. Quite a nice little story.

Jypsie

I think in regards to the particular spread I was doing, I didn't totally grasp what the card was trying to relay to me... I can't remember the other cards exactly or i would say more about that.

I like the thought that maybe she is returning from a secret rendezvous. I also visualize her maybe leaving behind her past, running towards the cleansing waters of the stream to wash it away. Or maybe she is performing a solitary ritual to unite herself with nature?

The solitary aspect is what threw me I think... I usually see this card right before a happy gathering of friends and/or family. Regardless, I get an overall happy feeling all over everytime I see the ecstatic naked redhead! teehee... =)

Centaur

Jypsie said:
Or maybe she is performing a solitary ritual to unite herself with nature?

Jypsie, I like that idea. It could be that she is performing some form of energy ritual.

I hope that it is warm where she is though, because she will catch a nasty cold running around in the nude! Muhaha.

Shade

I usually read this card as enjoying what is, and living in the moment. I think the metaphor is the brief moment of youth and sexual maturity. There is an innocence abou the card that cannot last and should be savored lest it is forgotten.

janomalee

I alway thought she was running towards her lover and "flashing" this person. It looks very sexual to me. But that could be just me. :)

Shade

I hadn't thought of there being anyone else in the forest. He or she would probably be very happy to see her. I think that she's on her own and delighting in herself and her... ummm.... ripening.

lunakasha

Shade said:
I usually read this card as enjoying what is, and living in the moment. I think the metaphor is the brief moment of youth and sexual maturity. There is an innocence about the card that cannot last and should be savored lest it is forgotten.

I like your take on the card, Shade.....there is something about her that is very playful and innocent....she is beginning to explore her femininity if not necessarily her sexuality. Maybe as a child she enjoyed running around naked...but now that she is maturing into a woman, she needs to remind herself to cover up???

I do get very positive feelings from this card, as many have already pointed out. It does make me think of happiness, celebration, carefree attitude.....quite the opposite of the LWB definition of: 'unsatisfactory reward' .

Just goes to show that, in many cases, the LWB has very little connection with what the artist is hoping to convey in the artwork....I love this deck and will be letting my intuition guide me through it!

:D Luna