Ludy Lescot Symbols: Freemasonry

Hemera

Now this is a subject I know *very* little about so I´m just going to list things that I think have something to do with Freemasorny. Please feel free to add something I´m overlooking out of ignorance etc..

Some of the symbols that seem interesting from this point of view are:

-Skulls and crossbones ( there´s a different thread for these already)

-the Pentagram has been used by Freemasons. (I recently saw a Freemason Lodge book in a Museum in Austria with a Pentagram on cover)

-compass (and coin with the eye and pyramid) in Knight of Pentacles

-All seeing eye within a pyramid: Nine and Ten of Pentacles treasure chest and gravestone.
All of the Pentacle cards (or Coins?) shows a pyramid with an eye in the center as their symbol and many (most) of the cards show a coin with this symbol. The Ace of Pentacles is the most obvious one.

-the strange symbols in many of the Chalices?

Hemera

I just found this in Spacegoat´s review about this deck.

"Five of Pentacles – the Masonic pyramid with the all-seeing eye appears on the stained glass church window behind the homeless couple. This appears to be a reference to the Illuminati’s attempts to impose a New World Order, and a veri-chipped human race. "

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/ludy-lescot/review.shtml

Hemera

I just found the all-seeing eye also in the purple carpet in front of the Queen of Cups. This symbol really seems to be everywhere in this deck. Does anyone know more about its meaning?

RunningWild

I just found the all-seeing eye also in the purple carpet in front of the Queen of Cups. This symbol really seems to be everywhere in this deck. Does anyone know more about its meaning?

wikipedia.org has an entry for it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All-seeing_eye

I wonder if, in the case of the Queen of Cups/chalices, it's referring to her psychic nature? Although it may have greater overall implications in the deck.

MaineGirl117

I cannot find the compass mentioned in the Knight of Pentacles. Could you please tell me where it could be found?

gregory

I think she means the Page ?

Though then I can't see the coin...

MaineGirl117

Ah, yes.. the metal protractor? The coin is right in front of the dagger on the table.

This same instrument can be seen then in the 7/swords and 3/pent as well.

gregory

Ah, yes.. the metal protractor? The coin is right in front of the dagger on the table.

This same instrument can be seen then in the 7/swords and 3/pent as well.

Yes, the metal compass - but the symbols ON the coin ? I shall have to look harder :D

MaineGirl117

Yes, the metal compass - but the symbols ON the coin ? I shall have to look harder :D

:D looks like a triangle with a circle in the middle.

Winterchild

Rose

The rose is another symbol I found... it features in the Page of Pentacles along with the compass, the skull, the dagger and the coin engraved with the all seeing eye.

It is a traditional tudor type rose with the 5 petals. there are lots of legends about the rose... some of them are here in this article by some Masons. I like the idea of giving the rose to the apprentice and it symbolising the period of learning and growth.

http://www.themasonictrowel.com/articles/symbolism/general_files/symbolism_rose.htm