Still Having Werewolf Dreams...

SarahMaeDee

So, I have been having werewolf dreams quite often. These dreams involve me turning into a werewolf. I mean, at first these dreams were harmless, and in them I was doing things like running through an airport as a wolf. However, my dreams slowly became more violent, and now almost every time I have a werewolf dream, I brutally slaughter (and usually consume) a human being. I know these dreams shouldn't be a big deal, but they are. They're scary. But the worst part is is that for a few moments after I wake up, I actually want to do the things I did in my dreams. I don't know what's happening to me, but these nightmare are disturbing my sleep!
Also, I have talked to my therapist about this. All she said was that since I am going through a stressful time in my life right now, nightmares are normal. The thing is, I haven't had dreams like this since I was about 13 years old, and I am now 16. Anyway, if anyone has any ideas as to what these dreams could mean, I would love some help. Thanks! :)

LaurelBelle

Could it be that you feel at the mercy of your raging teenage anger hormones? This started at puberty. Have you been so stressed out that you've been snippy with people and then regret your harsh words, or you consider lashing out at them and don't but still feel regret?

Milfoil

There seems to be an inordinate amount of focus on werewolves, vampires, angels etc in the media these days. American TV in particular seems to be brimming with supernatural, semi-human creatures with super-human powers, strength and instincts.

If this were my dream it would suggest a subconscious need to be different, have power or control and yet, at the same time feeling a lack of control, as though my body and emotions don't (or no longer) respond to my inner concept of balance.

16 is a very tumultuous time, raging hormones, changing bodies and changing thought patterns. The transition from child to adult can feel like everything we ever knew is now out of control and we are at the mercy of these new thoughts and feelings. Anger, sadness, sexual urges, the need to find a mate, bodies growing and increased appetites all contribute to a way of being which is akin to the werewolf model - the instinctive and uncontrolled, wild animal in us being given freedom.

Is home life very controlled and ordered? Do you find yourself getting intensely angry or worked up over seemingly small requests? Do you feel trapped and misunderstood?

The history of wolves and humans is very close. We have lived side by side since man first started chasing the wolf off his kill. Domestic dogs all come from the same gene pool - the Wolf. The flip side of Wolf behaviour is that of defender, loyal companion and strong family bonds. What would happen if the Wolf aspect of yourself in a werewolf dream were to stand beside you and evoke these qualities rather than being an uncontrollable aspect of you? This could form a guided meditation where you relax deeply and visualise meeting the Wolf.

Padma

while you have already received very good guidance from Milfoil and Laurel_belle, might I just suggest to you that wolves are not predominantly violent creatures... they are frequently very shy, and remain within the structured protection of pack and forest. They are very strong animal spirit companions to have, and I cannot believe that your wolf would be evil and cruel.

Wolf as companion suggests pack law and pack wisdom; family, and protecting the family; ability to track down what is needed to nurture the self; ability to survive in harsh conditions.

The fact that yours is raging in your dreams suggests to me that you may be repressing the nurturing, family tendencies in yourself, and that you need to let the "pack" aspect of self come to the forefront...perhaps spending quality time with your family members and a few beloved friends will help correct the balance. :)

As a teen, one can often feel split from the family and the parental unit, so maybe the division is hurting or scaring you. Perhaps your friends and natural tendencies are creating this rift; time to heal it a little, without becoming dependent again, like a little child. Try visualising your parents and family as friends, not relatives...I know it helped me a lot to do so, as a teen.

Good luck, and don't let thoughts of evil sway you. As Milfoil suggested, some time quietly spent meditating with your wolf companion may well restore the balance. You will see it is not a violent monster, after all, but a gentle, protective creature who wishes you nothing but the best :)