Thoth Magus Cards

RChMI

Indeed, Atu The Universe is also astrological attribution on the left and Hebraic letter on the right in my deck. Thoth deck (small) Published and distributed by both USG & AGM.

Lillie

It has often been wondered wether anything can be inferd from these anomalies.

Personally, I think it may just indicate that they were late substitutions for cards that Crowley did not approve, and that Harris did the writing for these later than the others, after she had forgotten which way she did the rest.

This is supported a little by the fact that we know there were a couple of alternates to the magician, both of which were fully drawn and realised, and there is also an alternate moon card, which also looks finished and is certinly way past the 'preliminary sketch' stage.
I have never seen an alternate Universe, but there may be one.

RChMI

Magus-Moon-Universe Inference

With the deck being more upfront with its gnostic sentiment than others (RW in particular,) perhaps the inference could be Sophian rather than Luciferian - Hermes as The Magus liberates Sophia as The Moon within the realm of our world as The Universe (Moon=Pisces=Sophia ala Valentinus' Creation Myth.) It could also be of a significator, like that used by the Catholic Church with the fish images to personify our Piscean Age towards the next Age of Aquarius - Our world as The Universe is in the last "days" of the Age of Pisces as The Moon and is heading into the Aquarian Age personified by a man which is in the image of The Magus.

Lillie

Could be!

It's either some random mistake, or something deeply, symbolgically important and significant!

Will we ever know?

Mine has them all the same.
Which, for me, is nice and tidy, and leaves nothing for me to fret about!

thinbuddha

Mine has them trimmed off.

gregory

Mine has them trimmed off.
Mine - who knows, I have several. I can't be bothered to get them all out again - I spent the last three weeks opening them up one after the other. Now I've put them all away again.

Fulgour

Hi Manda

manda78 said:
I got a new Thoth Deck, and it came with three different versions of the Magus card~ kinda cool I thought, and was wondering if anyone has the deck, and which one you use, or if you use all three??
In a theoretical universe such as the realm of tarot there is
an allowance for nothing being a mistake, same as real life...
now with the 2 "extra" Magus cards you have tangible gifts,
to welcome and interpret just as freely as you may wish to.

We sometimes hear of the Tarot that it's "missing" two cards,
with the idea being that there once were 24 Major Arcana...
If so, the Lunar Nodes provide two important attributions and
these cards might be studied to see if they are meant so. :)

gregory

WOW - that is a seriously interesting thought. And how great to see you again Fulgour. :CL Happy new year !

Strange2

I ran across an image of yet another version of the Thoth Magus cards! See attached scan.

Found this on page 179 of "The Complete New Tarot: Theory - History - Practice", by Onno and Rob Docters van Leeuwen. Per the book, this Magus version was shown as a draft in an article in the journal "Man, Myth and Magic" in 1972.

The image is a bit blurry and in black and white. Definitely seems to be a working draft. It includes the winged feet like in the standard Magus image, with a crocodile headed figure at the base. This Magus has a cup in his lowered right hand and wand in his raised left hand. You can also see a floating sword and feather. In the center is a brain-like circle, on which there is a crystal pyramid from which rises a flower blossom (rose or lotus?).
Can't quite make out what is in the circle that obscures the head of the Magus, but it looks like a lemniscate with a rock in the center?

Attachments

• thoth_magus_4.jpg
    thoth_magus_4.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 96

alphonsine

3 in 1

well
makes perfect sense to me that the greatest magus
of all time
would desire
to be thriced!
i propose as to the selection...