New Tarot Card Movie

fairyhedgehog

Re: A single action that destroyed a culture

arkgoth said:

Apologies to anyone who would hate me after this.....
I hope my comment about not watching the film hasn't made you feel hated. I have nothing against horror movies, they just don't appeal to me. I prefer comedy. I'm not sure what that says about me ...

Maybe if there is a book of the film ...

arkgoth

Not at all :) Its just that one cannot endeavour to make a movie without some form of criticism. As you know, in a large community like the Tarot, we have so many people with different beliefs and values that I would not be able to cater for everybody, just to those who see the light in the same fashion as I do.

Of course, I would be pissing off a lot of people who are against the path of the pagan. They would probably think we are satanic or something. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Jewel

faunabay said:
eeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Human Skin???? (shudder)
Without knowing the whole storyline - IMO this makes tarot out to be the typical "horror" image that we (here on the forum - or at least me!!) try to keep away from.

My thoughts exactly ... I cannot get excited about something that may make the tarot seem perverse.

Arkgoth, I wrote the above sentence previous to reading your posts. I am glad you here to see the comments. I suppose my concerns stem from various angles. Not long ago we had the sniper shooter leaving a tarot card which fuled the anti-tarot bandwagon a bit, and I suppose the idea of a horror movie that might promote the "tarot as evil" mentality is just something that does bother me a bit.

Being that you are famliar with the tarot, your movie probably reflects that, and those of us that understand the tarot may understand your point. But those who know nothing about tarot will probably not get passed "the tarot as evil" and some may even blame the tarot for the character's actions. I know this sounds over-reactive, but I just wanted to share my thoughts. I live in the Bible Belt so a little paranoia about these things is inbeded in me ;)

raeanne

Hi all,

Well, since I live in a town where people picketed the first Harry Potter movie because “it obviously is a plot to lure innocent children into the mouth of Satan”, I don’t think this movie would be well received here. The information about this movie is still a bit sketchy. I can’t really make much of a statement at this point. I am a bit concerned that it might give people more reasons to distrust tarot and to discriminate against people who read tarot cards.

arkgoth

To my knowledge, Harry Potter has never been well received. I think trying to make a movie well received is something one shouldn't aim for. Firstly, anything that is successful and touch the hearts of many is received by many as satanic...why? because whenever the church finds a reason for people to take more interest than the church itself, it suddenly becomes very defensive. The church has been famous over history for this, dawning from a religious power to a political power.

Fear is the first step to a very unsuccessful life. Fear is the only element that puts an obstacle to what should have been done from the heart. If it comes from the heart, fear is always the first emotion in everything...can i do this? i doubt it...not everybody can do this...why me?

Ending my statement, think about it carefully and tell me what you think...

love you all

Khatruman

Well said, and glad you are here

Many of my colleagues and their reservations about this echo my own. I will just try here to contribute as another voice.

First of all, it is wonderful that you are here and listening to the voices of several very intelligent tarot followers. It seems you are here to listen, so it would help to hear many voices.

I understand that you are portraying the abuse of tarot cards with this film and using special effects and horror to attract a large audience. I don't think this does anything to advance the cause of tarot or the misunderstanding of it, but, of course, that is not your goal. Your goal is to make a horror movie, a popular genre that attracts large, and primarily young, audiences. I am a teacher and, in addition to teaching at a regular public high school, I also teach an adult high school at night, with great freedom in my curriculum. One of my courses I designed is in the study of multicultural folk literature. In it, within the last two years, I have worked in a unit on the tarot. I already have a difficult time with devil worship misconceptions and "it will tell the future" misunderstandings. Should your film become popular, I have no doubt that further misunderstanding will result.

I see your argument, and in fact I have seen it used by many rappers in defense of the violence and misogyny in their raps: they are pointing up the negativity to help bring about change. I really don't see young students of mine buying it and saying, "Wow, that's horrible! I think things need to change!" More likely they shout out the rap as an anthem.

In any case, I do not plan on seeing the movie if the subject is as you say. I know any form of media cannot "make" people think a certain way, but if the only way something is presented is in a negative light, then, well, that's most likely how folks will see it. And if you expect to make the point within the context of the movie that this boy is naughty,, ..bad bad for doing this... there is still the contingent who will not see the movie, but think themselves experts knowing about the movie. As was mentioned, the DC sniper already helped further a bad name for the tarot. I can't help seeing that a movie about a boy who grafts the tarot to his skin and uses it as an instrument of evil, supernatural power doing anything but enforcing puritanical witch hunts.

Peace!

Khatruman

arkgoth said:
Fear is the first step to a very unsuccessful life. Fear is the only element that puts an obstacle to what should have been done from the heart. If it comes from the heart, fear is always the first emotion in everything...can i do this? i doubt it...not everybody can do this...why me?

Ending my statement, think about it carefully and tell me what you think...

love you all

You know, I have to laugh every time I see that slogan, "No Fear". Fear, itself, is a good thing. It was given to us as a survival device, so that our body reacts more quickly than we have time to process a situation with our minds, thus avoiding something that might be harmful or perhaps fatal. I remember when my son was two years old and playing on the playground. I was glad that he had some sense of fear. He learned to climb the ladder of the regular slide, or go up the jungle gym, but he was very aware of danger and chose his steps thoughtfully. I saw other toddlers plow about with their only saving grace being a parent who is able to catch the fearless child before he or she crashed into a serious injury. Fear is good and necessary. It is when you let fear overwhelm you that a problem may occur.

Fear also helps your body generate things like adrenaline in order to give you heightened strength and awareness to deal with the dangerous or challenging situation. You take your fear, acknowledge it, and, with the increased adrenaline, use brain power and knowledge to decide the right course of action.

The church likes power and needs faith in order to survive. It is insecurity which causes it to misuse its power by not allowing its followers to think for themselves.

Peace!

arkgoth

I will post a message tomorrow. Leaving the office now. I think your comments are AMAZING and I need to get more people to come in to take a look at it! Keep posting more guys, I am happy to know I am dealing with intelligent people :)

cricket

I honestly would go see it, just to be able to fend of the already nasty people in this area. (there's a whole thread on this here http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9072 ) Of course, when it comes out and if it comes to this area, my family and I are going to be in a world of trouble because of it, but that's neither here nor there.

What first crossed my mind when reading through this thread is the fact that there are an awful lot of young impressionable people out there who actually believe this stuff. They go out and try to do things that are portrayed in these movies. It's stupid, but it happens.

Not only that, but what happens to the few of us who have finally gained some credibility? Word will get around that 'tarot is evil' and it made the boy do all these bad things and whatnot, and before long we're being burned out of house and home. That's honestly not much of an exaggeration in some areas.

I guess all I'm asking is that you be careful what message this sends out, for the sake of all of us. If it can't be avoided, somehow let people know that this is NOT what tarot is for/about. Please.

zorya

i also find it commendable that you have come here for research.
...however...

you can put all you want in about how tarot is really this great thing, but it won't be seen that way, as long as one person does something 'evil' with it.

i don't think that your showing that tarot is good, will convince anyone that doesn't already believe so.

so many believe that satan exists. in their eyes, satan can fool us. he can trick us into believing something evil (like tarot) is really good. your kid that twists the tarot, will be their proof that it is indeed the 'tool of the devil'.

life is hard enough for us. we are either in the closet, or out and putting up with a lot of $hit about our reading the cards. please don't add to it.