Top Ten essential tarot titles

Le Fanu

Huson's Mystical Origins arrived today and - after a quick flick through - I can see that it is fascinating. It has history, divinatory info, the meditative/ guidance side of tarot without being twaddly, it has very clear-cut explanations of the various branches of tarot, plus spreads. Everything in fact that one could possibly need. I took it out with me to lunch and had a read of it in the restaurant and it is definitely the kind of book I shall just read effortlessly and it will keep me gripped.

A great recommendation...

Greg Stanton

So glad you like it. I read it straight through at first, but usually have a copy on my nightstand. It's an excellent book to browse as well.

sapienza

Excellent, so pleased you are happy with it. Enjoy :)

Sophos

Ola' Le Fanu, i would like to ask, please, how are you finding the Huson's book, assuming that you kept reading it. I also would like to know if it helps understanding the Marseilles Tarot, to work with these type of decks. Obrigada :)

SweetIsTheTruth

For Thoth decks:

A. Book of Thoth by Crowley, although I would NEVER recommend this to a newbie. My tarot library would be incomplete without this book.
B. Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by DuQuette, and I would recommend this to a newbie. (The fact I literally STOLE this one off of Amazon at $1.99 is just icing on the cake!)

For relationship related readings:

C. The Illustrated Book of Tarot by Jane Lyle. This is the book included with the Thunder Bay Marseille set. It's a cheap book which falls apart quickly and uses the RW for illustration, but is useful nonetheless. I still have the book even though many pages have long since loosened from the binding. And who would turn down the Marseille deck included in this set?

D. The Lover's Tarot by Jane Lyle. This book is included with the Lover's Tarot Deck, which sucks as a deck, but I like the book. And I do mean the deck itself is dreadfully UGLY. Toss the cards in your compost pile, but definitely keep the book!

For Marseilles Decks:

E. Personality, Divination and the Tarot, by Carl Sargent. I LOVE this book! You can completely ignore the first 58 pages, which describe the evolution of psychological theories. The rest of the book is a goldmine as far as the Marseille, in my opinion. His descriptions of the psychology behind the symbols on the cards make the cards come to life, and most particularly with respect to the Courts. This book includes meanings for reversals. Did I mention how much I LOVE this book? Like the Book of Thoth, my tarot library would not be complete without this book.

F. Collins Gem Tarot by Rowena Stuart. Small, easy to carry, with direct, to the point meanings for both upright and reversed cards in the Marseille.

Qabalah related:

G. Tarot and the Tree of Life by Isabel Kliegman
H. Chicken Qabalah by DuQuette - not really tarot related but useful for those who relate Qabalah to tarot, particularly due to DuQuette's ability to make Qabalah easily understood.

Spreads:

I. Illustrated Tarot Spreads by Pielmeier & Schirner. Very simple and easy to use book of tarot spreads in NUMEROUS areas. One spread per page, with diagrams and descriptions for each position in each spread. There is no extraneous or unnecessary information here and this book is EXACTLY what it purports to be.

Greg Stanton

SweetIsTheTruth said:
For Marseilles Decks:

F. Collins Gem Tarot by Rowena Stuart. Small, easy to carry, with direct, to the point meanings for both upright and reversed cards in the Marseille.
Not really a book on the Marseilles, just illustrated with it. All of the actual information is taken from, and is about, the RWS deck.

Bernice

Mystical Origins of the Tarot - by Paul Huson

I now have "Mystical Origins of the Tarot - by Paul Huson".

Still reading the first quarter of it. I'm very pleased with it so far, primarily because it gives a historical foundation for the cards which are quite free of the Papus/Wirth/Rider-Waite/GD etc. esoteric developements. I haven't got to the part where they are covered yet.

As with all 'history' books, future researches & discoveries may serve to change/correct the work done here. But it's a well researched book which gives references, and is readable to boot!

Excellent!

Bee :)

Le Fanu

Bernice said:
Excellent!
I know! isn't it. After recommendations here, I also bought and read it and really think that this is the true essential tarot read...

nicky

78 Degrees by Rachel Pollack
Mystical Origins of the Tarot by Paul Huson
Tarot Symbolism by Robert O'Neill
A Magical Course in Tarot by Michele Morgan
The Tarot Revealed by Eden Grey
The Complete Tarot Reader - Teresa Michelsen
Book of Thoth by Crowley
Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot by DuQuette
Tarot Decoded by Elizabeth Hazel
Tarot for Yourself by Mary Greer
The Thursday Night Tarot by Lotterhand

Bridget

It's interesting to me how many have found Rachel Pollack's books to be a struggle, because 78 Degrees is the book that pushed me to study Tarot seriously, and I've reread it a few times. I also enjoyed Forest of Souls when it came out, but I haven't been able to get into it for a second read.

I haven't finished Tarot Wisdom, mostly because I don't feel the need to rush through it. It's worth taking time over. She does repeat some stories and techniques from her earlier books, but I think it's great to have it in one volume with all the new content. I'd put this book in my top ten.

I'd also include:

21 Ways to Read a Tarot Card - Mary K. Greer
Tarot Reversals - MKG
Understanding the Tarot Court - MKG & Tom Little (sensing a pattern here?)
Qabalistic Tarot - Robert Wang - tons of info about Qabalah and the Golden Dawn tradition, illustrated with the RWS, Thoth, TdM, and Golden Dawn Tarot. I'm exploring other Tarot avenues right now, but I'm sure I'll return to this book for reference.

I have more books in my Tarot library, but I'm not sure any of the others are must-haves. But after reading this thread, I will definitely put Mystical Origins of the Tarot and Meditations on the Tarot on my book wish list. :)