View Single Post
The Thirteenth Moon

Thirteen 
The Thirteenth Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surja76
I think the room Hierophant is sitting is Confession Room
I like the idea, Surja, and I'd thought of that, but it's too big for a confessional. Confessionals are tiny and closed off from the outside world. Even the priest isn't suppose to know who he's talking to. There wouldn't be a way that anyone could look in through a window see who was being confessed or overhear what they were saying.

That said, a holy man can hear confession anywhere, and I think the bars there are suppose to make us think "confessional" so maybe this is our holy man's "confession" place? Where he admits his sins to himself and to god?

I love the original picture of this actor playing Cardinal Wolsey as it's strangely apt for the Hierophant. The Cardinal was caught between, yes, the desires of man (King Henry VIII), and the tradition and laws of his Church. On the one side, there was King Henry VIII who wanted to divorce his long-time, very religious, but now barren wife, Queen Catherine. On the other side was the church who refused to annul the marriage (in part because Catherine was niece to Charles V, the Holy Roman Emperor). Wolsey wanted to make his King happy, because he, too was caught between his earthly position as a powerful and worldly King's Chancellor, and his spiritual position as a Cardinal.

Wolsey was tragically unable to go in any direction. He wasn't able to completely break with the Catholic Church, but he wasn't able to martyr himself for the Catholic Church's traditions either. And he wasn't able to decide on his own morals in the matter. Unable to secure the annulment, Wolsey was stripped of all power and position that Henry had given him. When he then tried to work for the Catholic church against the King, he was indicted of treason. I think that crumbled paper "scene" on stage might be where he's learned either that the church won't allow the annulment, or that he's been named a traitor. Which, to a good actor's mind, would indicate traitor not just to the king, but everyone, including himself and his principles.

Wolsey said: "If I had served my God as diligently as I did my king, He would not have given me over in my grey hairs."

While I wouldn't want Wolsey's story to be the one for our Hierophant here, I think it does exemplify the dilemma of the Hierophant. He must be of the world in order to guide people in it, of traditions, and of his own moral and spiritual principles. If those three violently clash, then he's likely to be crushed between them.
Top   #9