Gender Swapped Decks?

MadeiraDarling

I have (and love) the Manga Tarot http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/manga-minetti/ and what I really love about it is how they've swapped the gender of all the archetypes in the deck which is a lovely reminder that all these archetypes are gender neutral, are there other decks that do the same thing?

page of ghosts

I don't think the creator swapped all the majors, but I remember that there is a female Hermit, Magician and Fool(s) in Tarot of the Silicon Dawn. Haven't worked much with this deck so I don't remember if there are more, but it's very likely.

Trogon

I have (and love) the Manga Tarot http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/manga-minetti/ and what I really love about it is how they've swapped the gender of all the archetypes in the deck which is a lovely reminder that all these archetypes are gender neutral, are there other decks that do the same thing?

I don't know about other decks ... but that Manga Tarot is awesome! I expect it would be a big hit if I took it to our local anime club ...

harvest

I haven't personally used a deck that has had gender swapping attributes. But I feel like perhaps the reason they swapped the genders was because of the zodiac traits that the court cards have (were the court cards swapped?). As for the major arcana, I am not sure.

Siavahda

I would DEEPLY love more gender-swapped decks, but I don't know of many... There's several decks that have gender-swapped at least a few of the Major Arcana - the Tarot Mucha has a female Fool and Hermit, I think, and the Steampunk Tarot has several female knights...

Oh, there's the Dream Enchantress tarot! All the traditionally male figures in that one are women wearing masks - the Emperor, the Kings, etc. But the traditionally female figures are still women.

Le Fanu

Love me the Navigators Tarot of the Mystic SEA. Gender is just something out there and weirdly superfluous, except for the Courts. I love reading with this deck, suspending those traditional masculine / feminine polarities.

nisaba

The Science Tarot has all-male Queens. And females on surprising cards. :)

Not only does it have *that* going for it, but it forces you to learn stuff - by enchanting you and making you *willing* to learn. :bugeyed:

Lain_82

The tarot Mucha is not fully gender swapped, but it has a female Devil, Magician and Hermit if I remember correctly, and in my opinion it's a lovely deck.

Carojulie

The Vanessa tarot is all women, even the kings. The Gorgon's tarot os mostly women, and some characters are androgynous. But they are not gender swapped.
The Sakki sakki tarot is not gender swapped but I love how some characters are deeply masculine, some deeply feminine, some ambiguous and some androgynous. Nice panel of gender expression ! But no gender swapping really.

Siavahda

You might be interested in the Numinous Tarot by Noel Heimpel - it's due to have a Kickstarter some time this summer, I think, and it's BIG on messing with the male/female archetypes, with masculine and feminine roles switched around and plenty of androgynous/genderqueer characters. Personally I can't wait to get my hands on it!