Thoth purchasing question.

Edge

Hello everyone, I have had a fascination with the Thoth deck since I first saw it on this site. I've gotten the impression that this is a popular deck but beyond that I simply MUST have one. Am purchasing the deck tonight on Amazon and they are recommending the Book of Thoth along with my purchase. Good idea to get the book or is their a better one for a newbie to start with? Any feedback/advice is very welcome.

Thanks!

wolfmaiden58

if you get any book at all - get Duquette's 'Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot' - it cuts through the really heavy stuff, and personally speaking, I've found it an essential resource for the foundations of the deck i.e. GD, Qabbalah, and the mystical origins AC ascribes to it.........(BTW....all of AC's writings are available on-line too, for free).

IMHO it's not a 'play' deck, it's serious stuff.....and you can really get bogged down in the background reading alone, before even attempting to read with it!!

There are several decks on the market - I suggest you do a search in the Thoth section of this forum, to see which one you might prefer (along with ISBN numbers, so you can compare with amazon's scanty descriptions, in some cases).......lots of feedback there, and I found it invaluable when considering purchasing my deck.

Good Thothing!!
**Hugs**
wolfie

Umbrae

wolfmaiden58 said:
if you get any book at all - get Duquette's 'Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot' ...
IMHO it's not a 'play' deck, it's serious stuff.....and you can really get bogged down in the background reading alone, before even attempting to read with it!!
Gotta second this one.

Duquette will give you some further instruction - follow it...

Edge

wolfmaiden58 said:
if you get any book at all - get Duquette's 'Understanding AC's Thoth Tarot' - it cuts through the really heavy stuff, and personally speaking, I've found it an essential resource for the foundations of the deck i.e. GD, Qabbalah, and the mystical origins AC ascribes to it.........(BTW....all of AC's writings are available on-line too, for free).

There are several decks on the market - I suggest you do a search in the Thoth section of this forum, to see which one you might prefer (along with ISBN numbers, so you can compare with amazon's scanty descriptions, in some cases).......lots of feedback there, and I found it invaluable when considering purchasing my deck.

Good Thothing!!
**Hugs**
wolfie

Thanks for all the suggestions. This is the deck I am looking at on Amazon, got the link from this website. http://www.aeclectic.net/cgi/buyframe.cgi?type=deck&id=4261 Definately plan to get the book you recommend too, thanks again.

wolfmaiden58

LOL!....good one!....same one as I got (but from Chapters here.....free shipping!...but it still took 3 days to come across town......must've took tranna transit.....).

Do be aware though:
1) this is the LARGE Thoth.....so you have to shuffle 'vertically'!! (but it's worth it for the beautiful artwork.....and you could always 'trim' it......)

2) The pack contains the Hex card (unicursal hexagram of AC), multicoloured though......opinions on this card vary.....

3) The pack contains only 1 Magus......I think you only get 3 Maguses (Magi??) in the small decks........

4) It's not a 'greenie'

Edge

Thanks wolfmaiden, and fyreflye I checked that link out and I must say those cards are stunning! I am sensing that purchasing either deck will definitely be worth it! Thanks for all the tips. I will be placing an order tomorrow.

Edge

A quick update, I just ordered both the the deck and Duquette's book! Can't wait, they should be here by Tues of next week!!

I am sure I'll have many more questions and comments. This is going to be an interesting journey. Thanks again all.