The turning point (or when to go professional)

MareSaturni

Hi!

I have always wondered..when did the professional tarot readers decided they could be/wanted to be professional readers. I mean, it takes a lot of confidence to decide you can not only read for others, but also to charge for it.

So i'm asking all people who feel like sharing this kind of info...how was you professional start? When did you decide you were going to be a professional tarot reader, how was it in the beginning, how much you charged (don't have to answer that if you don't want), which decks you used...any piece of your story is welcome!

To the mods: i'm posting it here because i'm not a subscriber, and cannot see the professional forum. Sorry :(

Thanks for reading,

~Marina

pamiam

I went pro when I felt that I knew the basic Rider-Waite deck well, had a good understanding and feel for other decks and some oracle decks, and had enough readings with people who really, truly got something out of my readings. I felt that when I started seeing that I acutally helped people and could be counted on to give good sound insights into their queries, it was time to go pro. It took me a while to actually go and get certified. It also was a leap of faith for me to actually ask for money for my services, as I feel it's angelic work. But there came a time when I realized that I have other talents and abilities which I require payment for my time - why not the tarot? So that's my story.

MareSaturni

Thank you for sharing your story Pamiam!

pamiam said:
It took me a while to actually go and get certified. It also was a leap of faith for me to actually ask for money for my services, as I feel it's angelic work. But there came a time when I realized that I have other talents and abilities which I require payment for my time - why not the tarot? So that's my story.

Yeah, that's one of the problems i guess...i just know some people will refuse to pay, since i've been reading so far for free. But don't we dedicate a lot of time learning tarot, and a lot of money buying books, decks, etc.?

I don't know, however, when should i consider my abilities worth of any money. What if i'm not a reader worth paying, or still not good enough to become a PRO. Nobody is going to tell me 'it's the right time', so i decided to ask other tarot readers about it...

~Marina

berrieh

I won't say too much here, as I do feel this conversation is potentially more appropriate in Professional Thread, and I wish to respect the forum in case.

However:

I read for free.

I read for money.

They are not mutually exclusive. So, you can charge sometimes and not always. It's no big worry. I make a decent amount every month reading, but I do 90% of my readings for free. If you give to the Universe, it gives to you, in my experience. Most of my money comes from reading for donation. People often give more than what I'd set as a price. Then again, some people give less. But it's like the 6 of Coins---they give what they can and feel is appropriate, and in a way, that is perfect.

.traveller.

Here's a thought, how about when people start offering you money?

I never wanted to go pro. I read because I wanted to.

However, people kept trying to give me money and I would refuse.

It was awkward.

I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes the universe will tell you when you are good enough or ready.

Just an opinion.

MareSaturni

berrieh said:
I won't say too much here, as I do feel this conversation is more appropriate in Professional Thread, and I wish to respect the forum.

Yes, i'm aware of this, but unfortunately i do not have access to the Professional forum right now. I'm saving money to pay for a subscription (paying in dollars is kinda expensive to me), but for now, i have to post my doubts here. I do not wish to disrespect any rules either.

.traveller. said:
I guess what I am trying to say is that sometimes the universe will tell you when you are good enough or ready.

That's really interesting. I usually hear stories of people doing reading because they need money...but your sotry is really great. I believe then the universe might have it's way of sending us signs...

Thanks for answering :)

~Marina

berrieh

Yes, i'm aware of this, but unfortunately i do not have access to the Professional forum right now. I'm saving money to pay for a subscription (paying in dollars is kinda expensive to me), but for now, i have to post my doubts here. I do not wish to disrespect any rules either.

Oh, I'm sorry if it seemed harsh to you. Didn't mean anything by it. I've edited it above, as I feel I was a bit too brief. I just wanted to explain why I was giving such a short answer, but I did want to give somewhat of an answer, as I felt it a good question on a non-professional level, to a degree. ;) Just a slippery slope and wanted to be careful to remind myself not to cross the line on it.

I will also say that personally, I think .traveller. has excellent advice.

lark

You are ready to be a professional reader when you fully understand the awesome responsibility you take on when you read for another face to face.
What comes out of your mouth can do as much harm as good...and that must always be uppermost in your mind....
Money, ego, fame, table set up, deck choices, the clothes you wear, the venue you read at, all play second fiddle to the most important thing...and that most important thing is your client.
When you are there for the client and you can accept the weight of that responsibility with joy, wonder, enthusiasm, good humor, tolerance, compassion, in a non judgemental way...and yes with awe...then you are ready to be a professional reader.
And then you will not just be a good reader, but you will be a great reader...good luck in your journey. :)

starchild

hi, i started out reading for free to practice on friends and friends of friends, who all ended up bringing friends of friends and family of friends, phew,
then i started to get gifts, candles and incense ect, (i was even brought milk by one lady)
when it got to the point i was having daily readings for peaple i didnt know i started to ask for a volentry amount of money. and i did that for a few years, some peaple gave a lot, some very little but its like has been said, 6 of coin situation realy, peaple gave what they could. and i never realy questioned the amount. i just felt so good that i was able to be of some help to peaple and i loved reading tarot

but then the tarot became more my work and i was putting of other things in my life to do readings so i started to think about charging a set amount. i made the dicision when i had a very rich lady come to me for a reading. the reading was very good, (and i dont mean that in an egoestic way). fine details that were important to her came up ect. anyway when she drove of in her mercades i stood in my room and realised she hadnt left me nothing for my efforts. i went into my living room and both my kids were there waiting for me to make dinner and i thought, urm somethings not right here.

i started charging 20 euros, not a lot for the area i live in spain as most readings are 50 to 100 euros. but i wanted a small set price, after all i knew it wasnt about the amount of money. over the last few years ive increased my fees twice and now charge 30 euros.

this month i am closing down my buisness (i have a shop) its a painfull process and i am going all out to be a full time tarot reader, am i scared? yep totally. these last 5 years ive been doing around 3 readings a day (due to the fact i work in the shop all morning and evening so i only get from one till 5 to do readings and eat), and befour that when and who i could. but if i had days where no one came or due to whatever i had no readings it was no problem. but now i know it would be a problem as i am the only breadwinner and have two children to feed. the tarot will be the only income in our home. and yet although the whole world and his dog think im mad to do this i know its the right thing to do.
i have a full dairy, sometimes months ahead (ok so thats not so hard when i have only been able to do three readings a day) but i know so far i have been luckly and only by word of mouth i have a good clientel, i also have peaple who come from afar for readings (holland, switzerland, france, germany) just for a reading so i feel that as my readings are spreading its my time to go the whole hog. although i am scared, realy scared. but hey if suddenly no one comes for readings i can always go and get another job.
im lucky i have a small room at home set aside i can do my readings in and im also lucky that i havent lost my sence of what its all about, i know its about the contact and not the money. of course if i didnt get paid for it though i would not go full time, i just wouldnt be able to.

i just hope it all goes well for me, im looking forward to putting on my tax returns, TAROT READER. lol

Baroli

lark said:
You are ready to be a professional reader when you fully understand the awesome responsibility you take on when you read for another face to face.
What comes out of your mouth can do as much harm as good...and that must always be uppermost in your mind....
Money, ego, fame, table set up, deck choices, the clothes you wear, the venue you read at, all play second fiddle to the most important thing...and that most important thing is your client.
When you are there for the client and you can accept the weight of that responsibility with joy, wonder, enthusiasm, good humor, tolerance, compassion, in a non judgemental way...and yes with awe...then you are ready to be a professional reader.
And then you will not just be a good reader, but you will be a great reader...good luck in your journey. :)

Exactly.