Motherpeace

Grizabella

A short time ago, I saw someone asking about the Motherpeace. If I remember right, they were inquiring about a study group. I didn't answer at the time because my Motherpeace wasn't where I could get to it. I ordered a used copy of the mini deck, though, just so I could join into the study we started that hasn't gotten off the ground. It finally arrived on Monday. If the person is still interested, I'm all set and ready to go. :)

I have the book called Motherpeace: A way to the Goddess through Myth, Art and Tarot. I used to have all the books but this one is the most comprehensive. It's falling apart and I've duct taped it all over the cover to keep it together and I hate the rough paper it's printed on, so I'm hoping to get a newer version one of these days. Even with its drawbacks, though, I can still read it and contribute some of the thoughts to augment a study if anyone is up for it. The link to the study group is below. Just click on it.

Study Group

AnemoneRosie

I've been meaning to get it for a while now. They sell it at the shop near where I work on Thursday evenings. The problem is that I'm usually late for work on Thursday evenings. I'll try to get it tomorrow, though.

Grizabella

Great! I've had this deck in both sizes for years and at one time, I had all the books that go with it. I've never really used it very much because there was always another deck or two I could read more easily with.

I've had a couple or three people tell me that this deck is NOT Thoth based, so I'll take their word for it. However, I'm going to leave my original post here so it won't confuse anyone who comes to the study later and then wonders why people are mentioning Thoth in the thread. :) {I've read (here on the forum, I think) that this deck is based on the Thoth deck. That may be why I haven't ever gotten a firm grip on it. I also have the Weick-Gonzalez Native American which is also based on Thoth and I have a pocket Thoth deck but I've never grasped Thoth very much either.} I've been using Tarot for coming close to 20 years, but RWS and clones have always been my choice.

One thing I like about the Motherpeace is that it's a round deck. There's such a big range of meanings using a round deck because each card you draw shows waxing and waning of the energy of the different cards. It's a deck that I have to sit with for a little while when doing a reading. Taking into account that it's Thoth-based, plus the many degrees of the angle the cards fall in and the art work, then figuring out how it all comes together isn't at all a quick read for me, but when I do finally get it figured out, the result is wonderful.

nisaba

Thirty years ago, a friend of mine was doing awesome readings with this deck. She took into account how far-to-either-side each card was turned, and got exquisite detail out of them. I bought a copy more recently out of sheer sentimentality for her, but absolutely cannot use it the way she could. :)

Gwynydd

Thanks for reminding me to study this wonderful deck! I started, then got distracted. But I will start up again šŸ˜Š

Zephyros

From what I can see, the Motherpeace isn't Thoth-based. Where was this written?

Carojulie

Hi Grizabella,

I am in for a Motherpeace study group.

I hope I will manage to attend with some regularity. I have commitment issues in that area, due to lack of time, and also sometimes due to journaling burnout. But I would really like to attend this one.

This deck has been on top of my wishlist for a really long time, and at the same time it intimidated me because it is so deep.
Then last year, a very dear friend of mine offered it to me (the Mini version, in a set with Karen Vogel companion book).My friend did not know that I had wanted this deck for a long time. She offered it to me because it was her favourite deck and because she wanted to spread the love. What a good omen !

Later, on my friend's advice, I purchased an old copy of Vicky Noble "a way to the goddess through myth, art and tarot".
I am glad to have both books, the Vogel one and the Noble one, though the Noble on is deeper I think. You can still easily get the Noble book for only two or three dollars as a second hand book.

This decks has always had a special place in my heart, because of its richness, because it is so true and positive, and because it comes from my dear friend. I crocheted round pouches for her copy and for my copy.
I usually dont read reversals, with exeptions. But with the Motherpeace as with my other round deck (Gorgon's tarot), I do because it makes so much more sense, with all the possible variations on the positions of the cards.

Also, the mini is a good size, it could almost pass for a normal size deck. I usually dont like mini's (too small) but this one I like, because it is not too small. Maybe one day I will get the standard size to see the images with more clarity, but for now, I am very happy with the version I have.

I'll see you all in the study group then !
;)

Grizabella

Thirty years ago, a friend of mine was doing awesome readings with this deck. She took into account how far-to-either-side each card was turned, and got exquisite detail out of them. I bought a copy more recently out of sheer sentimentality for her, but absolutely cannot use it the way she could. :)

I can see where it would give very intimate and deep readings if used by someone who is very "fluent" with this deck. I probably won't ever get there, but I'm going to give it a try. :)

From what I can see, the Motherpeace isn't Thoth-based. Where was this written?

I can't remember where I read this. Maybe here at sometime or other. :)

Hi Grizabella,

I am in for a Motherpeace study group.

I hope I will manage to attend with some regularity. I have commitment issues in that area, due to lack of time, and also sometimes due to journaling burnout. But I would really like to attend this one.

This deck has been on top of my wishlist for a really long time, and at the same time it intimidated me because it is so deep.
Then last year, a very dear friend of mine offered it to me (the Mini version, in a set with Karen Vogel companion book).My friend did not know that I had wanted this deck for a long time. She offered it to me because it was her favourite deck and because she wanted to spread the love. What a good omen !

Later, on my friend's advice, I purchased an old copy of Vicky Noble "a way to the goddess through myth, art and tarot".
I am glad to have both books, the Vogel one and the Noble one, though the Noble on is deeper I think. You can still easily get the Noble book for only two or three dollars as a second hand book.

This decks has always had a special place in my heart, because of its richness, because it is so true and positive, and because it comes from my dear friend. I crocheted round pouches for her copy and for my copy.
I usually dont read reversals, with exeptions. But with the Motherpeace as with my other round deck (Gorgon's tarot), I do because it makes so much more sense, with all the possible variations on the positions of the cards.

Also, the mini is a good size, it could almost pass for a normal size deck. I usually dont like mini's (too small) but this one I like, because it is not too small. Maybe one day I will get the standard size to see the images with more clarity, but for now, I am very happy with the version I have.

I'll see you all in the study group then !
;)

See you there!

Thanks for reminding me to study this wonderful deck! I started, then got distracted. But I will start up again šŸ˜Š

I've done the same thing. I get started and then kind of get caught up in other things and let it go again. Maybe this time I can stick with it for the long run.

prudence

I used this deck for at least ten years, had all of the books, even went to a talk given by Karen Vogel about the deck (she signed my Motherpeace box while I was there), it's not Thoth based. I'm certainly no Thoth scholar but I did use it for a number of years (after my Motherpeace interest declined) they're very different decks and completely different systems.

The MP was created as a subversion of the patriarchal bent that Vogel and Vicki Noble saw in the typical RWS decks, with the Emperor card in the MP literally representing the patriarchy and all of its inherent abuses (as just one example).

I'm really curious as to how this idea came up that the MP is even remotely Thoth based.

Grizabella

I have no idea and I can't remember where I saw it. I spend a lot of time on AT, so I may have seen it here. Maybe a post was made by someone who thought it was Thoth, so I just accepted that. I'm not a "Thoth-y" so I wouldn't have known that not to be true. :)

On the other hand, I might have read it in a book somewhere. If I ever find it
again, I'll try to remember to come and post it here.

ETA I just went back and altered the post I initially made concerning it being a Thoth-based deck buy I left my original post so as not to confuse people who might come along later when they see the mentions of Thoth.