A new de-enabling thread

Debra

The crowned one said:
This deck is unreadable without drugs, or rock operas playing. This deck is the only bad thing to ever come out of Scotland! Well maybe the Bay-city rollers too. S.A.T.U.R... ;)

Oh rats. Drugs and rock operas. I always liked both...

truelighth

Debra said:
Someone should please de-enable me from the Fergus Hall (007/Tarot of Witches) deck. It's cheap. It's colorful. I like the strange figures and the memory of the King Crimson album cover done by Fergus Hall. It reminds me of the Lars Kristian Holmsen deck, also with strange figures and colors.

The Fergus Hall.. that deck is so KITCH! Yuckie! It is not even in my collection, that says a lot. Would you really dare to buy a deck that even the most die-hard collector is refusing to buy? :D Yes, it may be cheap, but you are better off buying decorated toilet paper for the same money and it will be just as pretty...lol. It is just plain corny. The Holmsen deck is 10 times better.

Le Fanu

Debra said:
Someone should please de-enable me from the Fergus Hall (007/Tarot of Witches) deck. It's cheap. It's colorful. I like the strange figures and the memory of the King Crimson album cover done by Fergus Hall. It reminds me of the Lars Kristian Holmsen deck, also with strange figures and colors.

The kitsch argument won´t work

It´s dated, it has passed its heyday. The only excuse for having this deck in your collection is that you bought it -as I did - circa 1981. Buying it now is just "SO" after the fact.

And everyone will know this from the not-very-1970s cardstock you get if you buy it now, and that you´re really out of step with tarot trends. Heck you should be buying the Quantum or the Transparent (and don´t interpret that as enabling!), anything contemporary.

But this? 2008 is not the time to be buying the Fergus Hall. It´s what we bought in the 70s and early 80s when there were so few decks around and it was either this or the gaudy Pointner.

gregory

Rosanne said:
Give up you lot- stop trying to de-enable- people will come to their own decision as whether to drink or not. Perhaps a buddy system might be better?
I will be Gregory's Buddy :rolleyes: })
I thought you already WERE my buddy :(

And I do spend a lot less than what I done used to !

Decorated toilet paper though - now THAT sounds like a new hobby..... :)

Debra

Ok. I'm going to take out the Holmsen and spend some time looking at it...that might be enough for that style of painting. I'll keep you posted if I find myself itching to click "buy" at the Fergus Hall....thanks, de-enablers!

*goes off to take two aspirin and listen to The Who's "Tommy."

SolSionnach

Rosanne said:
Now I am totally :confused:
If this de-enabling thread can only save a compulsive Tarot spender less than 15% on a months purchases- I am glad this is not step programme like AA.

Give up you lot- stop trying to de-enable- people will come to their own decision as whether to drink or not. Perhaps a buddy system might be better
I have to say that I was happily de-enabled from buying several decks by these intrepid de-enablers - the Comparative being the most recent.

That being said, when I seriously lust for a deck (thinbuddha's Payen TdM, or the Vieville) I stay away from here!

sapienza

Ok, so this is a bit of an unorthodox de-enabling request but I need some help. I've been having a huge clean-out the last week or so. I have boxes of stuff I'm getting rid of and I've culled some of my tarot collection which I'll either give to friends or trade or whatever. There are a couple of decks in my 'get rid of' pile and I keep wanting to take them out dispite the fact that I never use them. Not using them is one thing but I'm hoping for some other good reasons NOT to keep the following decks in my collection (I hope this makes sense).

Arthurian Tarot card and book set by Caitlin and John Matthews
New Century Tarot
Golden tarot of the renaissance (Estensi Tarot)
Comparative Tarot
Fatima Oracle Cards (Lenormand style by Lo Scarabeo)
Soul Cards
Thoth - German Language edition (I have several other Thoth decks, I speak no German but it seemed like a good idea at the time)

Thanks in advance for any help :) Oh, and if there is any great reason why I shouldn't part with these (ie. they are OOP or something) please PM me ;)

Debra

oh boy oh boy oh boy...a HUGE challenge!

I've got lots to say. But I don't wanna be piggy about it.

While you wait for de-enabling, why not take a careful look through that Golden Tarot of the Renaissance.

How about that exploding head? And the fellow staring longingly at his testicles, which aren't in their usual place?

ick ick ick

gregory

WELL - the German Thoth. You don't speak German. I do. I was fluent 45 years ago. I have lost all that. I am trying to get it back.

That deck is trying to tell you it wants to help me.....

*well it was worth a shot....*

thorhammer

sapienza said:
Arthurian Tarot card and book set by Caitlin and John Matthews
New Century Tarot
Golden tarot of the renaissance (Estensi Tarot)
Comparative Tarot
Fatima Oracle Cards (Lenormand style by Lo Scarabeo)
Soul Cards
Thoth - German Language edition (I have several other Thoth decks, I speak no German but it seemed like a good idea at the time)
You make perfect sense, sweetie :)

Arthurian: doesn't it follow its own wacked-out little system? Do you need to learn another system? BTW, how's that Thoth going? ;)
New Century: Ugh. I have it . . . for the art. The cardstock is crap, the borders huge, the courts incomprehensible, the pips are a whirl of sameness, the Majors are bewildering :bugeyed: Get rid of it.
Estensi: Ack! All that weirded-out gold wallpaper? Distracting . . . keep to purity!!!
Comparative: Why? Why? It's just not right!!! It's meant as a comparative study tool - will you use it as such? If not, then how the hell are you going to make use of it? Coz reading with it would be . . . weird.
Fatima and Soul Cards: Oracles. 'Nuff said.
German Thoth: How many Thoths does one person need? Honestly? (Says the one who owns five, one of which is shrinkwrapped :rolleyes:) Don't go down my path :D

How's that?

BTW, when you open your trading thread, I've got dibs on the Arthurian and Soul Cards :D })

\m/ Kat