Pros and Cons Thread #3 - Enabling and De-Enabling

Nemia

I have the Mini Orbifold and I love it. When I first saw it I thought it would be boring or hard to read with but to the contrary, it is easy, powerful and I got clear answers! It brings you to a meditative state, you enter inside yourself and you develop an intuitive understanding of the numbers. It has to do with numerology but it is not strict as a lesson learned by heart (there is no LWB). And the colours! So vibrant and beautiful!

That sounds so wonderful. I think I'll get the mini, then I can use it with other decks. Thank you!

faylie

I need to be enabled or de-enabled for Kitty Kahane Tarot and Journey Into Egypt Tarot, please. : )

Kitty Kahane's Justice has severed heads on her dress.

Journey into Egypt has a card, Neferure, a naked lass with a cat on her lap. No one in their right mind lets a cat sit on them naked, the claws I tell you! But she does have gorgeous hair, I might forgive her for that.

willowy

Tyldwick tarot

Just wondered what were people's thoughts on this deck ?I'm very tempted,but it is more than I usually spend on a deck and I would of liked it to include a booklet (the website says it doesn't),but the artwork is very different..

Ivy Rhiannon

Can I be enabled and de-enabled on the Wizards Tarot and The Thelma Tarot?

Which should I get?

FLizarraga

Just wondered what were people's thoughts on this deck ?I'm very tempted,but it is more than I usually spend on a deck and I would of liked it to include a booklet (the website says it doesn't),but the artwork is very different..

Le Fanu made a great review of this deck on his blog:

https://mycuriouscabinet.wordpress.com/2014/05/11/the-tyldwick-tarot-is-there-anybody-there/

I hope I was allowed to post this!???

I seem to be doomed lately to play devil's advocate or "Mary, Mary, quite contrary," but I'll try to stay in the middle here.

Pros: Pricy, yes, but worth every penny. The tuck box, the cardstock, the gilded edges are top notch. Le Fanu's review is basically on the money: it's an exquisite deck, and even the lack of a LWB can be a pro, since it affords you total freedom. Exquisitely atmospheric and expressive, even with its blatant lack of human presence. Nobody's home, but a lot of times you feel as if someone just left the frame, the ripples of their presence still palpable. Divinely melancholy.

Cons: Pricy, whatever its virtues. No LWB. Nobody's home --it's one empty room after another. There's a pervasive sadness that can work for or against it, depending on how it affects you. Absolutely devoid of humor --unless a blood-red statue of Seneca in a Roman bath as the Hermit is your idea of a joke. Too depressing for words.

Le Fanu

Yes - Pros -everything I said. The ghostliness, the heaviness of intangible presences. In a world of smiley, cartoonish, dimpled, endearing tarot archetypes, of court cards really trying , these empty salons are bliss.

The only con for me - slightly murky at times on a few cards. Also, I could happily have the cards bigger too but for most people they're probably the most shuffleable size.

willowy

Thanks everyone.I think I'm going to get it.
Flizarraga,One of the things that so attracted me to it was the idea of just empty rooms,kind of like a haunted house,or mysterious old mansion,I like strange and subdued so I should get on with it.
Michellehihi,thanks for sharing,Le fanu,your blog is great :)
Sorry Ivy Rhiannon,I don't have either of those but there on my wishlist too.

AnemoneRosie

Tarot of Trees

I own a copy. It's a smaller deck, most would consider it mini (it's about 4 in). Very beautiful art. It's done with watercolor I think!

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Given my small hands a smaller deck might be nice!

I have it, and I love it! The colors are absolutely gorgeous, and I love the small size of the cards. The images are simplified, spot-on renderings of the RWS tradition. It is a fabulous deck to use if you are not in the mood to look at a bunch of people. :)

I'm often not in the mood for people, it's true. I think that that's one reason why I like TdM so much; less likelihood of there being people.

I've had my copy about a month now. I do love its size and the colors are so much more eye catching in person. It's great for people who don't need human characters in the decks they read with. It took me a bit to open up since I'm more comfortable with decks featuring scenes and people but it's a lovely tool for intuitive readings. The only downside is the corners on mine are peeling and I've had to take a black marker to fill in the peeled areas as the borders are luckily black. I had emailed the artist about it but she never got back to me.

I'm glad that the colours are more eye-catching in person. I've been looking at it online and, while I like it, it seemed a bit ... dull sort of? Like, the personality is there but it's more in the shapes and the drawing rather than the colour. Nice to know that that's my monitor :)

I definitely don't need people in my decks, no. I've been trying to get away from them.
I'm sorry that your corners are peeling! I hope that that doesn't happen to me...

I ended up ordering this deck - I finish my first year of school tomorrow and I really needed a boost. I figure that it'll take 2-3 weeks to get to my location. I'm excited :)

rylla

Tarot of Trees

I'm glad that the colours are more eye-catching in person.

I second that the colors are eye catching. I like colorful decks (and can't stand color faded looking cards) but I have no complain about the colors or print of the cards. It's a sweet deck, friendly, quite ingeniously thought out - and colorful! Hope you'll like it!