10 of Pentacles vs 10 of Cups - What's the difference in a relationship?

obsidian_queen

What's the difference between these two cards?? I always think "family" when I see them both, but what does each card mean if it were describing a relationship? Does the 10 of pentacles imply more permanence? Does the 10 of cups imply more emotional fulfillment but not necessarily staying power? In this vein, a 10 of cups couple could be dirt poor in a one bedroom apartment but blissfully in love? So is this a case of love don't pay the bills? Can't finances also be in order with this card? Could the 10 of pentacles couple be more focused on saving to buy the house and other material things? Can't this couple also be affectionate? Or are they BORING?

le fey

I tend to see the difference as being one of focus, even though they both seem to point to the same general state of being (stable, longterm, happy family/personal life).

With the cups, the focus is on the feelings that the situation inspires. With pentacles, it has more to do with the concrete details that inspire the feelings.

poivre

10 Pentacles - secure in your values
10 Cups- secure with your feelings

ros
:)

obsidian_queen

Sooo...

The 10 of pentacles couple would more likely have gotten together because they share the same value system and background? Like an arranged marriage? The 10 of cups couple would be more likely to marry for love?

bryghtrose

ros said:
10 Pentacles - secure in your values
10 Cups- secure with your feelings

ros

I like that, ros. It's simple to remember and it makes sense.

Additionally, I see the 10 Pentacles as being rich in descendants, having a lineage, lots of extended family. 10 Cups is much more a nuclear family kind of card.

poivre

10 Pentacles may have same money agendas or have the same
values as in religion and everyday situations. Strong family
relationships and family support.

10 Cups feel love for
each other and works the rest of situations out with
time. Their love, I feel is more emotional than the
10 Pentacles. Their pot of gold, they know is at the
end of the rainbow. Their love for each other "could" feel
like soul mates.

Both cards are very secure.

Just ideas!
ros

Niti

Both offer security and fulfillment, but as others have said, the focus is different.

If we are speaking about families in relation to the cards, I would say that the Ten of Pentacles represents a family that is comfortable (or more than comfortable) financially, and in most other matters. Things are good, but imo fairly stale. The 10 of Pentacles family is ruled by order and discipline...they sit down to dinner and keep everything clean even when there are no guests over...whereas the 10 of Cups family is bursting with love and companionship and generally (in my mind's eye) much less rigid. Their idea of comfort is to be together and have a good time, not to fit themselves into societal boxes of what comfort should be.

Does that make sense? Both families have reached fulfillment; the difference is what makes them fulfilled.

In a relationship, well, it depends on the position the card is drawn in. I wouldn't draw anything bad from either of these cards, but in the "present" position, the 10 of Pentacles to me would probably represent a mature couple who are thinking about and planning for the future...whereas I might see the 10 of Pentacles as more of an "enjoying the moment" card in a relationship. That's not to say there is no future. - Just that the distant future is not much discussed or thought about by the couple.

Both are positive, see? They just see different things in each other or the state of the relationship.

konayuki

I'm going to agree with most people here. I think that these can be confusing because they're both good cards in relation to family (etc.) life. But I feel that the 10 of Pents represents a family foundation in regards to values and material, perhaps an "old money" or "traditional" sort of feeling. The 10 of Cups I think is more emotional, being extremely happy and content, even if there is instability with family members and material things, they feel passionately towards each other.

So, 10 Pents: stable, happy, long-standing
10 Cups: passion, happy, maybe unstable with some of life but stable in love

Grizabella

I think Pentacles mean more financial/material stability and security while Cups indicate emotional security and stability more. Of the two, I think the latter is probably more desirable, at least for me.

As for values, I think values cover more than just material considerations, so maybe Pentacles would indicate material values but not values across the board.

Maelin

I've always seen the 10 of pentacles family - or couple - as seeing themselves part of a long line - they are descended from yesterday, and they are building for tomorrow, and for forever. The 10 of cups family or couple is focussed on today. There joy is more immediate, it doesn't ask about yesterday, and it doesn't worry about tomorrow.