Help? Just obtained Victorian Occult Antique item??

Wee_Gypsy

Help? I have an Occult antique from the late 1800s....
(the dealer said 1880-1900)
Here are the pictures of it, below---

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58386293@N03/6653178057/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58386293@N03/6653145499/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58386293@N03/6653138211/in/photostream
http://www.flickr.com/photos/58386293@N03/6653121469/in/photostream

I had recenly come across this item from an antiques vendor an just had to get it (it was a pure accident! but a good one :D)
It is a metals book case (kind of arts and crafts how it is made) to house a magickal grimiore (I am assuming) with a penticle the 2 Pillars on either side of the Penticle in the middle, with an art nueveo type design around it.
I have just begun my studies of High magick (I am a n00b) and this is why I am asking for other peoples thoughts ;)

As I have been reading the history of the Golden Dawn and other Magickal groups, as well as studying the Occult----I see lots of handmade Tailsmans, Banners (with the light and life cross and the 6 pointed star on them), hand painted tree of life diagrams, lotus wands and other magickal tools which of course were are all requirements to hand make magickal tools (and still are)
but I have never seen a box to house a grimiore or magickal texts either in modern or recents books (ex) the Circero's ''Secrets of a Golden Dawn Temple'')--where they show you how to contstruct the magickal tools

OR even in historical resources, like the Witch Museam in Bostcastle (which I have been to) or The Yeats exhibit in The Library of Ireland they have online....ect

For all of you here on AT whom are more familiar with the Occult, do you have any idea about this box, would they have made a case to house a magickal book, perhaps for ceramony with in a temple or magickal group...It is just so fascinating to think about, and since the item had no written provonance...it got me wondering

Thanks
Wee_Gypsy

Always Wondering

It's beautiful.

I was struck that the pentagram is tilted, as if to point out the two letter like symbols. They could be the sun and the moon, though I don't often see a half sun symbol, and the moon seems to be waning instead of waxing. Or visa versa, now that I think about it. Maybe they are two moons?

On it's side, they look like letters, but I don't recognize them as Hebrew. That doesn't say much though, I haven't seen a whole lot of Hebrew.

Interesting. I hope you get some answers. This fourm is tucked away a little out of sight, so don't get discouraged if they are slow in coming.

AW

Bhavana

I know nothing about it, but it is beautiful! If you can't get any info here, you could try looking online for collectors of antique/vintage occult items...

Wee_Gypsy

It's beautiful.

I was struck that the pentagram is tilted, as if to point out the two letter like symbols. They could be the sun and the moon, though I don't often see a half sun symbol, and the moon seems to be waning instead of waxing. Or visa versa, now that I think about it. Maybe they are two moons?

On it's side, they look like letters, but I don't recognize them as Hebrew. That doesn't say much though, I haven't seen a whole lot of Hebrew.

Interesting. I hope you get some answers. This fourm is tucked away a little out of sight, so don't get discouraged if they are slow in coming.

AW

It looks like D U in english-I only started learning the herbrew alphabet and attributes, but people would sometimes go by magickal names,ect....so it may be hard to pin a name on anyhow

I am pleased with it regardless (why I had to have it) :)

I just thought I would post it up here on AT in case someones knew more about it and could shed some light on it, it would be interesting.

Either way I love it though, I guess thats whats most important :)

Wee_Gypsy

I know nothing about it, but it is beautiful! If you can't get any info here, you could try looking online for collectors of antique/vintage occult items...

May do that-
But, thats how I was when I saw it---its pretty! I am going to buy it :D
eventhough I dont know much about it in the way history behind it, who owned it ect

roppo

I've never seen such book-cases in the occult ceremonies. The real GD papers are prosaic notebooks with the labels "These papers are private and have been lent to me ... " on the front covers, and nothing similar to the ancient vellum Necronomicon types :D

The book case is obviously a product of skilled craftman. Such work should bear the small marks showing the company, placename, date, material etc. Please try to find them.

Wee_Gypsy

I've never seen such book-cases in the occult ceremonies. The real GD papers are prosaic notebooks with the labels "These papers are private and have been lent to me ... " on the front covers, and nothing similar to the ancient vellum Necronomicon types :D

The book case is obviously a product of skilled craftman. Such work should bear the small marks showing the company, placename, date, material etc. Please try to find them.

There isnt a makers mark, Occult practices were illegal in the UK until 1950 (which the box is clearly older than that) - so It doesnt suprise me....its not like you could send it off to crafter in Birmingham or London....and say um could you make me an Occult, or Witchcraft type book case.
No makers mark :(--unfortunitly there is just the initials
Thanks though :)