Is This Legal?

gregory

Darn; I wasn't finished...... })

ETA no they aren't.... carries on downloading :D

moderndayruth

Here is my reply to the mail:
The advertisement of your product is in contradiction with this information you included in your e-mail: “There're only one deck in the program installer. It is one classical deck and the author is dead.”
Your site assures that your product "Uses Unlimited Tarot Decks(packs) ",listed as first among “main fitures”.
“Orphalese”, as we know, has agreements with various artists.
If choice of decks is included in your product – we want to be assured that living and healthy artists who created them are informed of your use of their copyrighted artwork.
If this all is a misunderstanding and yourself you are a Tarot enthusiast who hired an incompetent interpreter to translate the content of your site from Russian into English, I’d suggest next time when you are hiring an interpreter to check thoroughly their level of expertise and responsibility.

To make certain the misunderstandings due to language barrier are avoided, I am including the translation of this text into Russian.

Advertajzing vasej programmi rezko otlicaetsja ot informacii kotoruju vi dostavili putem e-mejla: “Tam nahodjatsja toljko odni Taro karti, klassiceskije, cej avtor umer.”
Vas sajt zaverjaet, cto produkt pozvoljaet “ispoljzovanije neogranicennogo kolicestva raznovidnih kart Taro” , eto cislitsja pervim iz preimuscestv Vasej programmi.
“Orphalese” , nam izvestno, imeet soglashenija s raznimi hudoznikami.
Esli vas produkt soderzit vibor Taro kart, cji avtorskije prava prinadlezat zivim i zdorovim hudoznikam, mi zelaem bitj uverennimi, cto hudozniki informirovani o tom, cto Vi poljzujetesj ih tvorcestvom.
V slucaje, cto eto nedorazumenije i cto Vi sami javljaetesj ljubiteljem Taro, nanjavsim nekompetentnogo perevodcika dlja perevoda sodezzanija Vasego sajta s russkogo na anglijskij, ja porekomendovala bi Vam v sledujuscij raz vnimateljno proveritj urovenj znanija jazika i otvetstvennostj vasego perevodcika.

eta - i posted the translation too, for Russian speaking ATers - maybe i could have said it better in Russian, but at least its a literal translation of the text in English and i think its grammatically correct ;)

gregory

There is a long list of decks which can be downloaded. And the non-VIP ones download just FINE. Trust me; I know this. I shall be alerting their publishers as soon as I have them all downloaded (well, no, in the morning, actually....) At least two are from USG - who can get VERY nasty. This could get exciting.....

And the one deck is the UNIVERSAL WAITE - NOT the RWS as such. It is certainly within copyright.

cirom

moderndayruth said:
eta - i posted the translation too, for Russian speaking ATers - maybe i could have said it better in Russian, but at least its a literal translation of the text in English and i think its grammatically correct ;)

OOHHH replying in Russian, now that is cool. Yeah for AT members:)

moderndayruth

Ok, here is the reply - not signed again:

FIRST, read on the page http://visualtarot.com/en/about
-------------START-----------------------
Some features of program:
• Unlimited Tarot Decks
• Unlimited Tarot Spreads
• Unlimited Cards Interpretations, etc.
-------------END-----------------------

SECOND, on the page http://visualtarot.com/en/features
-------------START-----------------------
# Use Unlimited Tarot Decks(packs). You may use Custom Tarot Decks
(You may scan and use Your own images of cards or add an existing
pack) or download and install additional decks from Download Section
of the website.
# Use 22-Card Tarot Decks or 78-Card Tarot Decks at Your choise. , etc.
-------------END-----------------------

Both mean that the PROGRAM ALLOWS TO USE UNLIMITED TAROT DECKS (e.g.
not registered Orphalese allows only first 3 decks in the list)
In another words, THERE'RE NO LIMITS FOR THE NUMBER OF DECKS IN THE PROGRAM

And I browsed all previous versions of website and there're no phrase
you wrote above.

Yes, the choise of decks is included as option, but anyone can add any
deck to the installed product or create(or draw) one or more own
deck(s) and use 'them' with software.

I can inform that some decks are available for download from the
website (and could be used with software, but not only) and no more,
cos' there're no decks inside the installer as a part of the software.
And I can add (c) text for the decks if needed or Remove the decks
from the website or Move 'them' to alternate server(s).

But I need to know who are You and why do You write me about it all?
What's your interest?

And if possible please provide me with the form (if this exists) of
the request to the authors.

ETA: its quite late (lol rather - early morning) where i am, i am off to get some sleep, i will reply tommorow to the part 'who are you' and 'what's your interest' :rolleyes:

firecatpickles

moderndayruth said:
But I need to know who are You and why do You write me about it all?
What's your interest?

And if possible please provide me with the form (if this exists) of
the request to the authors.

You have already told him what your interest is, that the international tarot community stands in solidarity with its artists.

It is not your job to provide him with anything! This person shows some nerve asking you to provide him with release forms, when it is his responsibility to contact the authors asking them for permission---not the other way around!

Elven

WOW! You got a reply moderndayruth!
Better than I got!
He hasn't sent a thing to me.
I did ask him if he was going to get permission for the use of the decks/cards from the copyright holders and when, as I would not consider his product without it.

I'd say he has received my email alright.
and possibly quite a few more.
I pm'd riccardoLS but have not heard from him yet.

This guy would be better off just offering the software for sale and getting rid of all the decks - though this has a monthly subscription attached to it - which works out to soooo expensive its not funny.

and 'go Gregory'! :laugh:

Cheers
Elven x

moderndayruth

Ok, here is my reply:
For what is relevant to this case and unless that’s not being clear from my previous mails - I am a Tarot enthusiast and you were provided with my name and surname.
By the location of the internet provider I use, you can clearly see my geographical location.
Whether you were asking do I have educational background in the field of international law and whether my work experience includes legal cases of a kind in Russian Federation – the answer to both is yes.
My single interest here is that the pirate copies of copyrighted decks are not distributed for commercial gain.
As per the rest of your question, as far as I am informed, you will be contacted soon by the copyright holders.

gregory

I have just e-mailed Ric and USGames (some of theirs are up there too.) Ric won't be at work of course, and I am NOT e-mailing him at home; this is work related and he deserves his holidays !

ETA also Llewellyn !

moderndayruth

gregory said:
I have just e-mailed Ric and USGames (some of theirs are up there too.) Ric won't be at work of course, and I am NOT e-mailing him at home; this is work related and he deserves his holidays !

You go Greg!
Elven, unfortunately, these guys don't answer polite and non-thretening mails, they are used to getting away with piratery :(
Btw, the info i provided in the last mail he could have found on his own had it crossed his mind to google my name and surname ;)