Pixie's Dress

roppo

goldenweb said:
Does anyone know who owns the copyright of this photo? Stuart Kaplan perhaps? It's very widespread on the Internet. Logically, it's the property of the photographer - does anyone know who that is?

I believe the photo was supplied by Pixie to The Lamp (1904)and The Craftsman(1912) respectively. Photographer is unknown. There should be no copyright issue if you take it from the above magazines directly.

Pen

Thanks Roppo.

Pen

Edited to add that I found it: Pamela's photograph in The Craftsman.

I read through the Fair Usage conditions too...:bugeyed:

Cerulean

I think some owners of the green and gold Originals would be especially delighted

I love the colors.

And its such a lovely tribute.

Pen

I tried out all the suggestions on this thread for the colour of her dress, although having examined the photo in pixilated...! form I think it may be a blouse. If it is a dress though, it has a sort of fluffy peplum below the belt rather than the silky fabric.

Anyway, I finally decided on green, because I felt that the tablecloth should be red, and green worked best with that. I've been reading Kaplan 111 (which only arrived today), and a friend or aquaintance does write of Pixie wearing green in the wonderful bio that alone makes the book worth buying.

It's been lovely spending time with Pamela via her photograph - I feel as though I know her a little better now.

Pen

Teheuti

goldenweb said:
I tried out all the suggestions on this thread for the colour of her dress (although having examined the photo in pixilated...! form I think it's a blouse) and finally decided on green, because I felt that the tablecloth should be red, and green worked best with that.
Can you post the version that you liked best. I assume you colored them via a computer program?

Pen

Mary, I've posted the image as an entry for the Tarot Lovers' Calendar - there's a link 2 posts up. I thought that posting it in the history forum might be pushing my luck a little...:)

And yes, I coloured the image digitally, but except for the blouse itself, I did it by hand with a brush, to be as close to the way they used to hand-colour photos in those days. (Even the cards!)

Pen

Teheuti

Thanks - wonderful job!

Major Tom

You did a really excellent job with the photo Pen. :)

Pen

:) Mary, Tom, Cerulean, thanks for the kind words.

I loved doing it. There are tiny details that you only see when working with the photo so enlarged that the pixels become visible. The problem is knowing when to stop - perfection is elusive, perhaps impossible.

Pen