What is the Y on the magician staff

brightcrazystar

5 is generally Geburah which is the sphere of Mars, to the uninitiated a sign of misfortune in general.

What may this have to do with, the answer in in the Tree of Life. Geburah is traditionally associated with the planet Mars, while Hod is Mercury. Hod is attributed to the Water Grade of Practicus, which is suspended at the bottom of the pillar of severity, by the path of Mem.

5 of Disks is Mercury in Taurus... The key is the Bell around the neck of the figure on crutches. The wounded man has a bell on his neck, symbolic of the cup, as the bell is the extension of the cup as the Gustiferous aethyr moved by Air, the Odiferous aethyr, in accordance to Akasha, or spirit, the Soniferous Aethyr, the silence which correlates to Hoor Par Kraat. The pair drawn to the Light, as fire, the Luminiferous Aethyr, through the harsh season of Cold, symbolic of the Earth as the Tangiferous aethyr. This is why the image is those wandering in darkness who come upon the temple. It is the candidate who seeks admission... but is yet fearful to enter the light. Thus he must be taken and bound and blinded... when the time comes. They are in a pentagram of the elements by their Tattwa Aethyric correlations.

And that instruction will come, we see, from the Hierophant, who bears the same shape as the stragglers bell. What he holds nearest to his heart, the secret of his own secret soul will come to externalize, though it will be a great ordeal.

He gives the first step already, and thus is suitable for admission, but at great cost.

The first Decan of Taurus is non-opposing (and thus harmonious, but cautious) of the first Decan of Scorpio, which is the element attributed to the bell. It is why the Element of Water, in the form of the Stolistes with the Cup symbolizing Wetness and Coolness is in the North of the Temple, instead of in the West. It is also the first Officer Stance on the Temple Floor, and generally reserved for Neophytes.

So the Hierophant, the Taurus which Mercury dwells within for its inuspicious season is the officer in the Golden Dawn Hall who is in charge, but HIS power comes from the Imperator, which is (you guessed it) the Mars Chief of the Temple. The Hierophant of the Temple is halted from progress. The cups around the Robed unknown figure form a pentagram, with Spirit, Air, and Water overturned, and Fire and Earth upright still. Thus the will and ability are there, but the aspiration and inspiration is spilled out in the red light of the Neophyte Hall. Deprived of his personal fire, He is overwhelmed with the Saturnal Binah, which shows in his garment, as he walks through the vale of the shadow of Death as shown on the Death Card, for it crowns the pillar of severity. This is why the simularity to the Hermit, who symbolizes the Kerux in the Neophyte Hall, and correlates to Mercury, as the recievier of the light of Geburah, and uses the lamp (of the path of shin) to guide the search for Hermetic Truth.

Thus, the Neophyte, would never be in the hall of the Zelator, which is the symbolic Temple of TRUE INITIATION, which is where the Table in the card would be. Thus, the profane Mercurial aspect in Taurus is unsuitable to be on the Table in the card.

Also, note the proper image for adept work with the Magus card has the "disk" as detailed of being bread and salt, traditional communion in the mystic repast, and the "wand" is in fact a lance. The bread and salt is also a oath fellow pilgrims made to not betray each other far older than the crusades paying dues to mercury as a traveling force, and the lance with a point was symbolic of the healing arts mercury is known for. Another symbol of the lance is the rose, but in this image, the Rose and Lily are symbolizing the admixture of the "red and white tincture" - an alchemical yin yang, if you will.

Teheuti

lucifall said:
Does somebody know what the Y on the staff on the table means?

Click on the link:
http://img573.imageshack.us/img573/3294/yt5lxzjtz2.jpg

In the middle of the staff there is something like an Ypsilon
On the beginnening of the staff there seems to be a mirrored c.
I agree with those who see it as a leaf on the wand (like those appearing on the other wand cards). I was just cleaning up a high resolution clipping of just the wand to use in a new book I have coming out. I simply extended the curve of the leaf and there it was - like all Pixie's other leaves.

The carvings on the side of the table have always seemed like the three elements corresponding with the Mother letters - aleph, shin, mem, that are viewed in combination with the four elements on the table top (=4 directions, etc.). The top of the visible table leg has the letters DIN, which means "judgment" and is an alternate name for the Pillar of Severity. It is black and we cannot see the far table leg, which, by association, would be the pillar of mercy - making the table itself into the High Priestess's temple.

re-pete-a

if that be so Teheuti,
Could you please unravel the pictured sections on the side of the table and the likeness of the drawings to Aleph ,Shin,Mem.

I would appreciate a simple clearing up of the mental haze.

Teheuti

re-pete-a said:
if that be so Teheuti,
Could you please unravel the pictured sections on the side of the table and the likeness of the drawings to Aleph ,Shin,Mem.

I would appreciate a simple clearing up of the mental haze.
Aleph = Air = Bird (right)
Shin = Fire = Flames (center)
Mem = Water = Waves (left)

That's how I see it. Thanks for asking.

lucifall

Teheuti said:
I agree with those who see it as a leaf on the wand (like those appearing on the other wand cards). I was just cleaning up a high resolution clipping of just the wand to use in a new book I have coming out. I simply extended the curve of the leaf and there it was - like all Pixie's other leaves..

I tried the extension of the line...and you are right indeed, then a leave appears.
The "weird" thing is: when you see an Y in it (already for long), it is difficult to change that inner vision in a leave, even when you prove it yourself by extending the line.
In fact i really have "problems" with this leave, as you said, the Y in extension is a leave, brings a new question.
First extend it to see a leave...
An Y in extension is a leave, what could that possible mean?

The 3 symbols on the table as the Three Mother Letters, ALeph, Shin and Mem as you mentioned changed my vision of the solar horse immediate into flames!
This one changed my opinion without some struggle at all.

Thanks Mary!

Luci

brightcrazystar

Teheuti said:

That is close to how I see it:

The bird is not a symbol of air, it is a symbol of the breathe of creation on the waters of life. This is why Scorpio is pictured as a bird.

Air is Waves, because the Ruach which moved across the waters and created the ripples of Creation.

This is the how both, by implying the other, accomplish the unified hexagram, symbolic on the disk of the Golden Dawn initiate, which is the powers of life emerging from the base earth (Dry and Cool) by introduction of Light (Fire as Spirit), Dry Heat (Fire) Wet Heat (Air in the influence of Fire), and Wet Coolness (Water).

This is how The Sun's Fire (Ash ha Shamash) bears forth, and becomes Aur ha Lebhnah, (The Light of the Moon), and why Gimel is the next letter in the Aleph after Beth and why The Air Degree is Yesod, because the moon moves the water, even as the Air.

re-pete-a

Teheuti said:

This simple mind finally
Got it!
With your help and Roppo's enlargement I can see Pixie's attempts at inferring flames.
It's also easy to see the artists attempts at joining the lines to form a leaf ;with the help of that same enlargement.
So, thanks to you too Roppo.

BrightCrazyStar.
You seem to know your stuff.
But for me,
Not having the background understanding of what your inferring I find it extremely hard to decipher all that information that you so willingly want to share.
I do appreciate what your trying to do, but for me enlightenment happens just one simple drop at a time. The rest simply falls away.

Your efforts are appreciated, thanks.

Teheuti

roppo said:
By the way is it really "DIN"? For me it looks like Hebrew letters, like Ayn, He, Mem.
You could be right. I noticed that the DIN is not as obvious in the illustration you showed as it seems to be in the printed cards. It does open up the issue again for me.