Essential Oils and Tarot

kx5

I've recently been considering, due to the lovely smell of essential oils, to anoint the cloth I do my readings on and wrap my Tarot Deck with with a few drops of essential oil (via a stainless method of course). Do you believe that essential oils have notable magical properties, which may be useful and promote a specific quality in my cards? Or is it just a matter of which essential oil smells better, in my opinion? Any recommendations?

Mind you, I currently can only obtain Rose, Jasmin, Ylang Ylang, Sandalwood, Chamomile, Lavender and Eucalyptus oil. So preferrably, any suggestions will be about a selection between these.

Thank you in advance for your answers.

RiverRunsDeep

Hi there, kx5!

I am a massage therapist, and I use essential oils daily for my clients. I believe
aromatherapy has a very powerful effect on our mental and emotional state,
and could be very beneficial in your use of tarot.

Rose and Jasmine: both of these are often used in "aphrodisia" blends, thought
to enhance feelings, emotions, and a sense of romance. Could be effective for
readings about relationships.

Ylang Ylang: enhances the mind-body connection and brings us back into balance.

Sandalwood: associated with prayerfulness and meditation

Chamomile and Lavender: both of these are sleep-inducing and promote deep
relaxation. I think of chamomile as having more physical effects, and lavender
as having more mental/emotional effects. These could be great if you do dreamwork with your deck, or become deeply meditative while reading.

Eucalyptus: I only use this oil for physical ailments, like allergies and respiratory
infections. Not sure how it could be used for tarot purposes.

Of course, all of these are just ideas and suggestions. The bottom line is, you
should choose the oil which has the most appeal to you. Our sense of smell
is the most powerful trigger we have for memory. So each time you smell the
oil, that sensory "trigger" will allow you to fall more easily into a tarot-reading
state of mind.

Hope I have helped a bit. :)

EvMaeve

I love to dab essential oils on my tarot cloths! I just use scents that I love to make my decks feel personal and a little more pampered than they already are. Cinnamon, ginger & cedar are my current top 3. RiverRunsDeep's suggestions sound really good for tailoring scents to particular areas of focus.

kx5

Hmmm, Ylang Ylang and Sandalwood sound good, but yes, I'll have to sample them and relate them to my deck myself.

Indeed! I have to admit, I'm afraid if I attempt direct contact of drops of oil with my cloth they may stain it (because unfortunately, it's not very easy to find perfect quality essential oils, and even if you do, they are oils at the end of the day...), so I have thought of the following method:

I intend to use a pot or a bowl. Fill it with water, put the drops of the essential oil in, soak the cloth in the bowl, and then, logically, there should be no stains. What do you think of this plan?

Calcifer

I make a divination blend out of sage, rose, and touch of white camphor... almost a traditional "Moon Oil". Everyone who's smelled it, loved it and it is Very conducive to divination :)

Michael

Tanga

Hmmm, Ylang Ylang and Sandalwood sound good, but yes, I'll have to sample them and relate them to my deck myself.

Indeed! I have to admit, I'm afraid if I attempt direct contact of drops of oil with my cloth they may stain it (because unfortunately, it's not very easy to find perfect quality essential oils, and even if you do, they are oils at the end of the day...), so I have thought of the following method:

I intend to use a pot or a bowl. Fill it with water, put the drops of the essential oil in, soak the cloth in the bowl, and then, logically, there should be no stains. What do you think of this plan?

Hi kx5.

Yes - I think the "soaking in infused water" could work to produce less staining. You could add a little alcohol to help fractionate the oil - i.e. "break the oil up into smaller particles" as it will of course float on the water (choose your alcohol carefully - over the years I found the one I liked the smell of best was "Parrot" brand rum - I think... The scent was sweet and flowery.).

Like RiverRunsDeep I have massage training and Aromatherapy background - and agree with her oil summary and conclusions. Choose the ones which you most like.

Do be aware if you're doing face-to-face readings - some people may be sensitive/allergic to the scents. And different people have varied reactions to them too. One of my friends gets anxious in the presence of Lavender (completely contrary to it's accepted/documented use.).

Personally, I love scents, but would not mark a particular cloth with one, because what I like to smell - differs according to my mood/state of mind. So in my case - it's far better to put the required scent into an oil burner or spray bottle for any particular time.
I'm also quite sensitive to scents.

I purchased a 2nd hand deck once that had patchouli-oil suffused into the tarot bag it came in. This means the cards themselves carry the scent too. Sometimes I like it - and sometimes I can't stand it. :) :)

Jasmin and Ylang Ylang I like - but the "cloying" nature of their scents, usually give me a headache. Lavender, I associate with good sleep - not so good if I want to stay awake to read for somebody :joke:

Eucalyptus reminds me of home (I love the scent) - but it's also quite a "sharp" smell, which makes me thirsty over time. I think of it in terms of working on "banishing illness", and general "banishing" - also to do with "journeying of dead souls to the other side" (I used it once in a ritual for a dying newborn - wishing it the best.) - not quite the correct mindset when I'm doing a reading for someone.

Ofcourse - essential oils (as with many herbs), have a load of magical correspondences.
Here, I very briefly quote directly from Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs (he was a solitary modern Witch - highly regarded in modern magical circles.)

Rose: For love and psychic powers. Associated with the element of Water and Venus.

Jasmin: For love and prophetic dreams. Associated with Water and the Moon.

Ylang Ylang: Nothing in his book. Guess he never had access to it. Ylang Ylang physiologically lowers blood pressure. It's also an exotically sensual scent. I might "magically" use it for issues around self-confidence, and the enhancement of feelings of stability - helping with "grounding".

Sandalwood (White): For protection and healing. Associated with Water and the Moon.

Chamomile (German): For banishing and for attracting money. Associated with Water and the Sun.

Lavender: For happiness, peace and longevity. Associated with the element of Air and Mercury.

Eucalyptus: For healing and protection. Associated with Water and the Moon.

Happy oil sampling! :)

jolie_amethyst

I'll be the voice of (partial) dissent here. You couldn't pay me to put essential oils on anything that's going to potentially touch my cards, like tarot bags or cloths. The very point of bags and cloths is to protect the cards from exposure to potentially damaging things.

I'd scent my environment rather than the cloths (and I'd be careful with that if you see clients or have pets--some people are allergic and my understanding is that some oils that are fine for us are potentially toxic to animals). There are those, though, who put incense into drawers where their decks are stored, or sprigs of herbs. This might be a safer way if you're looking to scent the actual cards.

Playing with scent memory to evoke a specific mood is a great idea, but not at the cost of oil on my decks. (The oil in water idea may not prevent spots--essential oils, like all oils, float on water and don't dissolve or mix into it.)

kx5

I have no intention of putting oil on my cards neither do I wish to compromise their well-being for the sake of aesthetics, I totally understand your disagreement. I intend to soak the cloth in a mixture of water and oil, and let it properly dry. As such, the cloth will smell nice when storing my deck and when using it for the readings, giving the illusion of scented cards.

La Hierbera

Do you believe that essential oils have notable magical properties, which may be useful and promote a specific quality in my cards? Or is it just a matter of which essential oil smells better, in my opinion?

If one looks at magical properties, as a directed, intentional shifting of energy, then it is important to note what energy is already in motion with regards to whatever essential oils you may use.

Huge quantities of plant material are needed to produce a teensy bit of essential oil. These plants are grown in massive monocultures, often with pesticides and herbicides, are not tended to by loving hands, and are harvested and processed with either machines, cheap or slave labour. The essential oil industry is responsible for many plants, such as sandalwood, becoming endangered. Hectares upon hectares of land is stripped of its natural ecosystems and animal life to make room for all these plants so that people can receive a tiny bottle of oil.

Now tell me.....do you think the essential oil's magical properties are going to be of a positive nature? It's bad energy from start to finish. Sure, they may smell nice, but at what cost?

Are you able to either harvest yourself, or purchase organic, ethically harvested herbs? You could rub your cloth with fresh plant material, or store it with a dried herb sachet, or soak it in a strong infusion of fragrant herbs. There would also be less chance of an allergic reaction by querents.

Briar Rose

I understand the importance of what HL is aware of.
Blessings to you for thinking so passionately. Unless you give up your vehicle, go off the grid , give up your phone and computer, go 100% green and organic; not buying essential oils or boycotting them is what?

I have been studying essential oils, know little. I have read that EO's have the smallest atoms and molecules, so this all allows them to penetrate into the blood system, and do what they are intended to do, thankfully from mama earth. Isn't that divine healing?

If you want to scent your decks, I found the best way is to open your incense boxes, but keep them inside the box. Put your decks in a wooden storage box, ad they will pick up the scents, or you can get a ceramic infused charm, and put it in there, but keep it away from your decks,
or you can dab a cotton ball with your choice of essential oils, and put it in a votive holder, but make a weave with tape so the scent comes out, leave spaces, and put inside the wooden box. Your decks will pick up on the scent.

There are some lovely old threads from us old timers on here about scenting your decks. Worth a search.

Blessings for loving the earth. So it be.