Religion and Tarot

WhiteBirchWoman

I'm a Celtic Reconstructionist. Tarot readings don't fit into that, really. I use tarot as a means of developing my intuitive powers and as a divinatory magic quite separate from any religious belief.

Danica_Nyx

HeavensVault said:
I don't feel Tarot cards are in any way evil, and I don't think they are bad either.
i completely agree. In truth they're not. I use them for so many different reasons from meditating with to doing readings for an outcome and understanding.

I am Wiccan and found Wicca around the same time I did Tarot. I use tarot as a wiccan tool to help me connect with the Goddess

I am Lucky since my Mother made sure i had a choice in what religion I wanted to go and is very supportive.

-Danica

Promise

I am Wiccan, and I utilize the Tarot as a part of my faith, as well as a furtherance of it. I feel that it allows me to connect more deeply to the energies around me, as well as helps me to in balance with the earth.

My interest in Tarot came first, but I believe I was a practicing Wiccan before I actually received my first Tarot deck. I wouldn't swear to that; drugs killed my memory.

Starling

HeavensVault said:
I think I read somewhere that divination of any type was against God's principles because you are suppose to use your mind (by itself) and not rely on any oracle's.

Actually, from what I've read in the Bible, I believe that what you are not supposed to do is call up the spirits of the dead and demand answers from them. As far as I can tell "casting lots" was accepted practice.

Now I'm not an expert on the subject of the Bible, and the last time I read it clear through was over 20 years ago, but that is what I believe it actually says. King Saul went to someone who called up the spirits of the dead to get answers to what was going to happen and got punished for it. I think what was unacceptable wasn't that he wanted divination. I think what was unacceptable was how he went about getting it.

Indigo Rose

Starling said:
Actually, from what I've read in the Bible, I believe that what you are not supposed to do is call up the spirits of the dead and demand answers from them. As far as I can tell "casting lots" was accepted practice.

Now I'm not an expert on the subject of the Bible, and the last time I read it clear through was over 20 years ago, but that is what I believe it actually says. King Saul went to someone who called up the spirits of the dead to get answers to what was going to happen and got punished for it. I think what was unacceptable wasn't that he wanted divination. I think what was unacceptable was how he went about getting it.

*Added...This is not directed at you, Starling....but a commentary on the subject: the use of the Bible to judge people for Tarot, Mediumship, and other Unorthodox practices.

Many Christians use the Bible and scriptures out of context. The Bible is a journey, of which the Old Testament is a record. One can't simply pluck a verse out of it and slap it down as a judgment and ultimate truth. Not saying, in my igorance I haven't done that...I have. Too many Christians are indoctrinated into that line of thinking. It is a practice that cripples Christians, and prevents non-Christians from ever understanding the BEAUTY of the message of Christ. To understand, the Bible must be read...analyzed...and synthesized; not used like a fast-food menu to make me right and you wrong. :rolleyes:

Christians are NOT under the Law. The Law can't save; it only condemns. It was given to illustrate our inability to live through works and judgment; it was given to prove GOD's LOVE. Those who were under it carried an impossible burden. One which Jesus Christ removed; for them...and for all humanity. In Jesus Christ the Law was fulfilled; and thus the Christian believes that Salvation comes through... LOVE...not LAW!! :love:

StellarMyst

I am Catholic. Tarot is a way for me to gain insight on many things. I like to help people, and Tarot Reading allows me to do just that. I am accepting of the beliefs of others, because I don't think it's right to black-ball someone just because their beliefs are not yours! ;) I think being narrow-minded in that way is about like telling someone they are *not right in whatever way* just because their name is different from yours, or because they aren't wearing your favourite designer clothes...etc.

If we are open to the different beliefs of others, we will know a new way to help them when they need a friend.

lilangel09

I am from a Buddhist background, but as I grew older I started to get more atheist because I lost faith in humanity and I shunned the mainstream. One of my pet peeves are close-minded people, but I can be pretty stubborn on certain subjects myself. I like to think I'm pretty open-minded.

I used to believe that there was nothing out there. Nowadays, I think there is something...the universe maybe, but I don't think it's G-d. I believe that the universe was created and took on a life of its own.

The only hell I believe in nowadays are the ones running on this earth. The ones that we create ourselves and torture ourselves with. The ones that are created by mankind or really bad spirits. Person against person. If there is a G-d, I believe that he only has love for mankind, there is no wrath.

My concept of afterlife isn't all that hopeful, but I believe that we are just repeatedly reborn. We can either choose to stay as spirits and perhaps stay with our families, or we can be reborn again. If you choose to stay as a spirit, there's another system run by higher/old spirits that can recognize/appoint you as a spirit guide. We just strive to make the best of each life, rather than there being some kind of all-encompassing heaven.

I look at Tarot cards as guidance when you really get in a jam, but usually it takes a lot to convince me to serious take action (like knowing what words I thought.) I look at Tarot cards as not only a psychological tool that aides in introspection, but also in the more spiritual sense, that someone is looking out for you out there (something I want to believe, don't know if it's really true). Not to mention I love the art. I like helping people, but it scared me the first time that someone relied so much on what I said. I also use them to predict things.

Surprisingly, my friends are very open-minded about the whole thing, but I think you have to be to understand crazy ol' me :D. No soul has ever told me that it was evil. I've been met with silent skepticism "Are those Tarot cards?," but no one has plain told me that it was the "the tool of the devil." (Probably because I didn't go telling the whole school.) My Catholic SO told me that the church was against divination, but he didn't say himself that they were evil. He's officially a Catholic but has made his own views. Strangely, by talking about the way he approached this, I've realized more about why he was so against them :).

I believe that anyone in a religion is meant to synthesize and create their own view, not parrot. In a way, religion is meant to be a guide, a starting point from which we create our own views. Perhaps, this is only my ideal of a religion. Unfortunately, religions can also be too strict and try to control/oppress instead of guide. Some people just don't grow from the beliefs they began with. They choose to stick to the LWB to be safe, so to speak.

I don't know why people censor G-d, but in my ignorance, I did it in case I might offend someone.