Looking for a "Candlemas/Imbolc" Spread

Aerten

I'm of no particular religious denomination, but I was wondering if anyone had some ideas for a "This Time of Year-ish" (Imbolc or Candlemas, as some call it) spread (or just one for approaching the end of winter). Traditionally, it looks like it is a time for new beginnings, so something under the catagory might be appropriate. I suppose that's kind of vague, so I'm not sure if I expect any responses. If you have any ideas, please share them or PM me, it would be very much appreciated!!

Darla

Hello Aerten,

An Imbolc spread is a good idea, I've never yearned so much for spring to come as this year. I just came up with something thinking about your question. Maybe it could look like this.

1) Reflection of the past months. What was important?
2) Where am I now?
3) What needs to be released?
4) What is important in the upcoming months?
5) How can I turn my plans into reality?

Aerten

Imbolc spread

Thanks! Simple but effective (hard to find in tarot spreads nowadays). I'll try it tonite. I'm still open to anyone else's ideas, though :)

faunabay

There's a book called "Tarot for all Seasons" which has spreads for all Pagan holidays. I have the book and love using it.....
when I remember to. LOL

I don't have it with me right now, but can post the Imbolc spread later if you'd like. ????

Darla

I was thinking that maybe it would be better to use two or three cards in position one for more detailed information. Perhaps also in position four.

Faunabay, I would like to see the spread you mentioned too! I have been interested in this book for a while.

Kiama

I don't know if this helps at all, because I'm approaching this from a different angle: this spread is designed to tell you about Imbolc, what you feel about it, and how it affects your life right now.

The cards are formed in the shape of a candle, its base, and light.

It doesn't show up very well one here though! Cards 1, 2, 4 and 6 are diagonal so put together they create a kind-of circle. Cards 8 and 9 are sideways, so they create the base of the candle. And cards 3, 5, and 7 are the candle itself and are usually longer than what can be shown here!

Cards 8, 9- The basis for Imbolc, what it is based on.
Cards 7, 5, 3- The focus of Imbolc for you.
Cards 1, 2, 4, 6- The effects of Imbolc/the Spring on your life.

I do a reading about each festival as they come around, simply asking the question 'What is {insert festival}'. This spread is one of those. :D

Blessings,

Kiama

faunabay

OK, here's the Imbolc/Candlemas spread from "Tarot for all Seasons". It's called Brid's Wheel. :)

1: Strength. This card shows where you are strong. If you don't like this card, it may be because it describes a painful life experience that has made you strong -- or will make you strong if you face the issue.

2: Heart's Desire. Your deepest desire. What do you really want? This card may surprise you. Do you dare to speak of your secret desire?

3: Healer. What needs to be healed if you are to be strong? Note whether or not there is a relationship between position one (strength) and this card. Does this card describe a situation or give you advice about a situation?

4: Creative Inspiration. When healing energy is released, creative inspiration is the result. What are you inspired to do? What creative activity fires you up?

5: Making Plans. Based on the creative information of posiition four, what plans can you now make? Look for the relationships between cards three, four, and five: Healing energy produces a creative spark that needs planning to become real.

6: New Growth. What is the promise of spring that lies just beneath the snow? By knowing where you are strong and focusing on your heart's desire, healing releases a creative fire that offers new beginnings. What is your promise of spring?

Aerten

Whoa! Thanks, all. *writes them all down* I wasn't expecting so many prompt responses :)

Clementine_webb

An interpretation of Darla's Spread - (Christmas tree spread)

Hi Darla,

I hope you don't take offense at this, but when I looked at your spread you did not include a layout, so because of the 1-2-3-4-5 pattern the shape that popped into my mind was that of a christmas tree as follows.

This is what you wrote:

Hello Aerten,

An Imbolc spread is a good idea, I've never yearned so much for spring to come as this year. I just came up with something thinking about your question. Maybe it could look like this.

1) Reflection of the past months. What was important?
2) Where am I now?
3) What needs to be released?
4) What is important in the upcoming months?
5) How can I turn my plans into reality?

So, here is my interpretation

..............1/1A.............

what was important (with 1A in a cross, this is the "star")
where am I now? (what is negative, what is positive)
what needs to be released (where it came from, present, and where its headed/advice)
what is important in the upcoming months? (spring, summer, autumn, winter)
how can i turn my plans into reality?
(where to start, what to avoid, what is not apparent, where to find help, sound advice)

I guess you could also add a stem to the tree, possibly an overall outcome for the year, or lessons to be learned card -- something like that.

Thanks Darla, for the great idea -- I hope you don't mind my revisions.

Viki