Faerie Tarot - Fave and Least Fave Card

sunflowr

I just received this deck yesterday, and was asked what my fave and least fave card are. Thought it a good topic to begin a possible study group. :) Who's in?

My fave cards so far: Lovers, Strength, 9 of Cups

(the male in the Lovers card looks more like he could possibly be either gender, which works well for me. I love the serenity of the Strength card, and I LOVE LOVE LOVE the faerie in the 9 of cups. Love the whole design!). :)

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisalee429/2767062873/

Least fave: Empress and Star

(nice cards but I associate owls with wisdom and wisdom with High Priestess. But it doesnt bother me that much and I'm sure I can get used to it. I havent read the LWB all that much yet, so maybe there's an explanation.

As for the Star.. she looks a bit solumn. Again , I don't mind. She looks peaceful. As she should be, in this context. Right? :) Just wish she looked a little happier. I'll just put it in my mind that she is the picture of peace.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lisalee429/2767910632/

I'll tell ya though.. I had quite a hard time finding cards I didnt like. LOL! This deck is amazing! I guess my only other "wishlist" for this deck would be that I wish the Pages looked younger. But thats a minor issue.

Hemera

I´m IN :party:

I really love the Strength. That big cat is just so adorable.. And Chariot looks like it could become one of my faves. The colors are lovely and the seahorses are cute.

Maybe my least fave from the scans I´ve seen so far is Nine of Pents. She looks a bit odd..

http://www.aeclectic.net/tarot/cards/faerie/

But I´ll be back to this thread once I get the deck in my paws.

Hemera

sunflowr said:
I guess my only other "wishlist" for this deck would be that I wish the Pages looked younger.

This is good news to me as I often miss older people in tarot decks.
Maybe because I am not exactly young myself..

Alan Ross

I'm actually very fond of The Star in this deck. I don't have the deck with me at this moment, but The Star was one that stood out for me. I love the way the faery's wings have an aura that rises up and connects with the star overhead. The stardust falling from her hands is also a nice touch. It's like she gathered the stardust with her aura and is sowing it below on our earthly plane.

Her somber expression doesn't really bother me. That's probably because I'm used to a certain amount of gothic gloom from Nathalie Hertz's previous decks, the Fantastical Tarot and the Vampire Tarot. She doesn't really do cheerful that well.

I also love The Chariot, one of the more whimsical cards in the deck. Seahorses pulling a seashell chariot; how cool is that? I'm going to leave it at these two cards until I can get back to the deck and look for other favorites. The tough job will definitely be looking for least favorites.

Alan

sunflowr

Hemera said:
This is good news to me as I often miss older people in tarot decks.
Maybe because I am not exactly young myself..

Me neither! ;)

But I always associated the pages with "youth".

Alan Ross

Now that I'm looking through the deck, I'm with Hemera on the Strength card. That cat is adorable. And I love the way the fairy is cuddled up and napping with him. The Hermit is another favorite. He looks so wise and at peace. I also love the Moon and the Sun, even if the moon does look a little more female ;).

Least favorite: I don't really care much for The Empress. The owls don't really bother me, although they do seem a bit misplaced. What bothers me is that this Empress looks so severe and dark. She would be more at home in Nathalie's Vampire Tarot. However, she is the perfect consort for The Emperor, who is equally severe and dark.

Alan

sunflowr

Alan Ross said:
Least favorite: I don't really care much for The Empress. The owls don't really bother me, although they do seem a bit misplaced. What bothers me is that this Empress looks so severe and dark. She would be more at home in Nathalie's Vampire Tarot. However, she is the perfect consort for The Emperor, who is equally severe and dark.

Alan

Exactly. When I saw the next card (Emperor), I felt better about her, seeing how she fits so well with him.

Hemera

I think a severe and dark Empress is interesting and adds credibility and depth to a deck with lots of cute faeries everywhere else.. This kind of an Empress is a bit unexpected but as the Great Goddess she has many sides. This card just shows the Hecate-side of her, sort of..
I agree that this might have been a nice High Priestess card,too. But it does not bother me too see her as the Empress either especially if -as you said- her consort is similarly dark and serious.
(oh, I can´t wait to get the deck. I was sold out at amazon.uk last week, so I had to order it from the amazon in US.which means it will take a bit longet to arrive..)

Alan Ross

Originally Posted by Hemera

oh, I can´t wait to get the deck. I was sold out at amazon.uk last week, so I had to order it from the amazon in US.which means it will take a bit longet to arrive
Do you have a source for viewing the cards? If not, I could send you scans as needed.

I think a severe and dark Empress is interesting and adds credibility and depth to a deck with lots of cute faeries everywhere else.. This kind of an Empress is a bit unexpected but as the Great Goddess she has many sides. This card just shows the Hecate-side of her, sort of..
The darker gothic touches in some of the cards certainly help prevent the deck from becoming too cloyingly sweet. Justice also looks darker than usual and there are several gothic looking characters in the minors. The Seven of Wands, the Ten of Cups, and the Eight of Swords are good examples.

I also have Linda Ravenscroft's Mystic Faerie Tarot. The artwork is stunning, but there is a certain sweet sameness to every card. I think Nathalie's deck has more character.

Alan

Hemera

Alan Ross said:
Do you have a source for viewing the cards? If not, I could send you scans as needed.

The darker gothic touches in some of the cards certainly help prevent the deck from becoming too cloyingly sweet. Justice also looks darker than usual and there are several gothic looking characters in the minors. The Seven of Wands, the Ten of Cups, and the Eight of Swords are good examples.

I also have Linda Ravenscroft's Mystic Faerie Tarot. The artwork is stunning, but there is a certain sweet sameness to every card. I think Nathalie's deck has more character.

Alan

Thank you Alan for your kind offer of sending some scans:love: I´ll keep it in mind.

I totally agree with you about the Linda Ravenscroft deck. I have it and I like it very much. But I find it impossible to read with exactly because of the sweet sameness you mentioned.