View Single Post
Citizen

Aeon418 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcimer
I am glad someone is taking it seriously enough to actually put some study into it. It is fascinating to see that there is something smoking in there.
Actually when I first saw your idea I dismissed it as nonsense. But then I began to see patterns in the cards that were suggestive of certain aspects of Crowley's magical philosophy and The Book of the Law. I'm still not 100% convinced that this was Crowley's original scheme for the Tarot, but there does seem to be "something" there anyway.

For example the cards that make up the middle pillar are very suggestive of a certain verse from The Book of the Law that relates to the raising of the serpent Kundalini and Sex-Magick.
Quote:
Chapter 2, verse 26.
I am the secret Serpent coiled about to spring : in my coiling there is joy. If I lift up my head, I and my Nuit are one. If I droop down mine head, and shoot forth venom, then is rapture of the earth, and I and the earth are one.
Note the suggestive position of The Devil, The Hanged Man, and Lust. There is a definite symmetry between The Devil and The Hanged Man suggesting a division between these two cards. The winged wand of Osiris in The Devil seems to link up with the inverted Ankh in The Hanged Man perfectly. According to Crowley The Devil represented PAN and the positive affirmation of Joy and Life. The Hanged Man, the card of the dying god, is the polar opposite. He represents self-sacrifice, suffering and death. But there is a sexual and a mystical connection which is important because the next card is Lust. Here the goddess Babalon sits astride the Beast holding aloft the Cup of Abominations/Holy Grail in which see has collected the sacrificial Blood of the Saints.

My earlier reference to the Thelemic trinity being represented in each of the supernals has brought to my mind a quote from Frater Achad's, Liber 31. Achad saw the number 31 as being representative of the 3 in 1 deity as well as the secret key to The Book of the Law.
Quote:
And now I see the mystery of 93 is complete and perfect for Kether is 31 and Chochmah is 31 and Binah is 31 which is 93 the Numeration of Thelema, Aiwaz, The Word of the Neophyte, Agape, etc. And this is the Mystery of the Three Persons in One God of which it is written.

Liber 31 by Frater Achad.
It may be a coincidence, but the the Hebrew letters attributed to the cards in Chesed, the first real Sephira below the Abyss, add to 94. (Tzaddi + Daleth) 9 + 4 = 13. The reverse of the 31 attributed to the supernals by Achad. 13 is also the numeration of the Hebrew word, AChd, Unity. Quite appropriate considering the two cards involved.

Quote:
I've been studying this arrangement for something like 20 years and it never occurred to me that HA could be taken across with The Star. Well, of course it can! Excellent work too with HA meaning "Lo!" I've known for some time what the word can mean, but hadn't linked Lo with the window and the Abyss. Nor to what he may have been hinting at in that piece of prose I'd read so many times. Marvelous!
I thought the reference to The Book of Lies might be stretching it a bit too far. But Crowley is well known for his fondness for word games. And The Book of Lies is one big word game. It might be a link, it might not. But I have to say that it does seem characteristic of the way that Crowley likes to drop hints instead of just giving you the answers.

Quote:
With The Emperor = *Heh*; a window lets in light = LUX (with all that that implies) as well as being the symbol for consciousness, awareness and of course sense perception - none of which is far from The Emperor's functions as paternal authority.
The Emperor = Heh correspondence is one that I have always had problems with. To me it's always seemed like a huge mismatch. Heh is an essentially feminine letter being the dual feminine component in the Tetragrammaton, IHVH. Heh also means the identification of a star. Tzaddi with it's associations with hunting seems a much better match for the masculine Emperor.

As for your suggestion that The Star = Daleth.... well... I'll think about it. I'm reluctant to accept anything so radical though. It would make a real mess of so many other correspondences. I can see what you are getting at with the swap, but Crowley already tells us that The Empress is NOT the Mother. In the Table of Vital Triads in The Book of Thoth he lists The Empress as the Wife and The Star as the Mother.
Top   #7