Beginners look at the Ten Of Swords.

xdiminished

I have only just recently started studying the Tarot, and just purchased my very first deck (the rider) just a few days ago. Taking some advice on learning the cards from another thread, I dedicated a notebook to writing down the in formation about a different card every day, and using that as a daily guide.

Tonight was my very first attempt. You can imagine my dismay at drawing the Ten of Swords as my first daily reading. I was put a little at ease however when I looked up the meaning in J. Bunnings "Learning the Tarot" The description of the days problems being "more melodramatic than real" made the card alot easer to bear.

The reason I'm posting is that while studying the symbolism of the card I noticed that one of the wrinkles on the dead mans shirt VERY closely resembles the greek symbol omega. The last letter. The end. I was wondering if this is just my imagination seeing things that are not there there, or is this a widely recognized symbol in this particular card. I haven't seen it referenced anywhere so far.

If this has been posted before I apologize for the repeat in advance. I did a quick topic search but did not yield any results. Thanks Everyone!

Bernice

xdiminished: The reason I'm posting is that while studying the symbolism of the card I noticed that one of the wrinkles on the dead mans shirt VERY closely resembles the greek symbol omega.
If you mean on the white 'sleeve' at elbow level, I see it too. I also think he is holding his hand in a peculiar postion - rather like a mudra sign.

Bee :)

xdiminished

I noticed the way the hand was positioned as well. LOL it looked like a peace sign to me. Very peculiar considering the circumstances.

Bernice

I got the magnifying glass out :), and looks very like the pope-sign/blessing. Weird!

irisa

"Index and middle finger extended, as though pointing at something. This symbolism is important, because the human Will is considered to be directed by these two fingers."

I had this noted in my journal specifically relating to the Thoth Hierophant who makes a similar hand signal. Can't recall where I originally read it so may or may not help.

irisa :)

Bernice

The Hierophant in RW & Thoth decks was originally, and still is, The Pope.
Perhaps the 10 Swords is related to the Trump card V in the System A.C. devised.

achellia

im new to tarot .and must say this is the first time i have noticed his and position ,i also think it looks like a peace sign which is rather reasuring as ten of swords is supposed to be a bad card

ana luisa

This quote from Wikipedia may help a bit.

Benediction and blessing
The benediction gesture is a raised right hand with the ring and little finger fingers touching the palm, while the middle and index fingers remain raised. Taken from Ancient Roman iconography for speaking (an example is the Augustus of Prima Porta where the emperor Augustus assumes the pose of an orator in addressing his troops), often called the benediction gesture, is used by the Christian clergy to perform blessings with the sign of the cross; however Christians keep the thumb raised - the three raised fingers (index, middle, and thumb) are frequently allegorically interpreted as representing the three Persons of the Holy Trinity. It was shown by representations of Jesus as Christ Pantocrator.

Often, the Ten of Swords means end of suffering, or "peace at last".

NamasteIndia

Tip of the little finger touching the tip of thumb is buddhi mudra in yoga
The little finger as per astrology, nadi, palmistry signifies the planet mercury.

mercury is planet of communication, clarity, speech etc.

Probably the man in ten of swords wants to express something but he is suppressed and gives up indicating the mudra.

Dancing Bear

ana luisa said:
This quote from Wikipedia may help a bit.

Often, the Ten of Swords means end of suffering, or "peace at last".

I found this out also just by accident.. One day i did a reading, and all cards were leading to a favourable outcome then out came the ten of swords.. last card... i thought wha!! why would that card be there?? totally puzzled.. then i realised this is what it must have meant .. as time has gone by it is exactly what it meant..

confusing little number it is at times LOL!