Nun

Aeon418

* killing them? on second thoughts I am not entirely sure how that would work.. Liberating... hmmm
Killing? That's what Christianity tried to do when it drove a big wedge between Spirituality and Sexuality.

I think transforming and redirecting desire is closer to the mark. Instead of trying to reject or split off parts off yourself, the goal is to bring all aspects of your self to the Great Work. Although some 'guilt' and 'shame' style baggage may need ditching.

Barleywine

Killing? That's what Christianity tried to do when it drove a big wedge between Spirituality and Sexuality.

I think transforming and redirecting desire is closer to the mark. Instead of trying to reject or split off parts off yourself, the goal is to bring all aspects of your self to the Great Work. Although some 'guilt' and 'shame' style baggage may need ditching.

I always thought of it as refining, correlating and ultimately integrating all of the disparate parts in preparation for sublimation. I don't see how an individuality at war with itself can make any kind of progress in spiritual terms.

smw

Perhaps killing was a bit strong.. Though I think it was related to the discussion by Wang of "the transformation involves 'leaving' the desire nature of Netzach and being absorbed into Tipareth... This desire nature is the very essence of the Personality which functions entirely in terms of the satisfaction of its needs and wishes. The very will to live, meaning the desire of the Personality to continue in the sensory condition, is abrogated on the Path of Death." ... The Personality undergoes a wilful 'death' surrendering everything that it believes itself to be."

He goes on to quote Jung 'By descending into the unconscious, the conscious mind puts itself in a perilous condition, for it is apparently extinguishing itself'.

smw

I always thought of it as refining, correlating and ultimately integrating all of the disparate parts in preparation for sublimation.

That sounds like preparing yourself robot like for assimilation :joke: Split off any messy emotions....

Barleywine

That sounds like preparing yourself robot like for assimilation :joke: Split off any messy emotions....

Hmm . . . do emotions have any function above Tiphareth? :)

smw

I don't know.. interesting question. Perhaps human emotions can be a hindrance but at the same time I suspect they could be linked to bridging and connecting ourselves with others. Or anything apart from ourselves. They seem to create intensity and inflame imagination. Maybe crossing the abyss higher up the tree becoming Nemo - no man might suggest a lesser role for the function of emotions, at least for self desires.

Always Wondering

Wang's Qabalistic Tarot covers both spheres and paths. I have recently bought it, though it was pricey. He does discuss the path of Nun as being the transformation of the many desires of (the personality/ego) Netzach, *killing them off I guess to go back up to Tipareth, the reverse of the lightening Flash. He calls it the flaming Sword which I guess is the Angel guarding the way back to Eden.

I honestly don't know why I don't have this book. Thanks smv.

I tend to look at where I am in my personal life in terms of the paths, I'm thinking now that you have mentioned it that a structured approach in addition might be helpful for linking up associations etc.

I have to say that in the last 24 hours the sh*t has really hit the fan, kinda making me wish I had taken a more lofty and detached approach myself. :laugh: But this how I do things, it doesn't make much sense to me unless I am mucking it up on some level. . . But I would like to kill something about now. :|

AW

Aeon418

Do you know anyone who only functions above Tiphareth? We're all microcosms and embody the whole Tree. Although there are differences in perspective. "I have emotions" is different from "I am my emotions."

smw

I honestly don't know why I don't have this book. Thanks smv.

I have to say that in the last 24 hours the sh*t has really hit the fan, kinda making me wish I had taken a more lofty and detached approach myself. :laugh: But this how I do things, it doesn't make much sense to me unless I am mucking it up on some level. . . But I would like to kill something about now. :|

AW

ehhh... Sorry to hear that AW, what awful timing when you were feeling better and healing :(