View Single Post
Citizen

juliecucciawatts 

You can absolutely read this deck straight out if the box without
ever learning the lunar astrology. I've learned a lot about how I should
have presented this material in the 4 years since thus deck has been out.
Giving people a better description of basic lunar knowledge was one of the things I know now I should have done.
But I had no idea that people didn't pay much attention to the moon and it's phases.
Basically with MAAT Tarot you are dealing with the 13 full moons in a year.
The full moon falls in the sign that is opposite of the sun sign.
A moon cycle is 28 and a quarter days long. The moon waxes(gets bigger) for 14 days and then wanes (gets smaller) for 14 days gradually. Each day in the 28 1/4 days shows us a new phase. It flows seamlessly from one sign to the next. During one month it will pass thru all the signs of the zodiac. But will only be full in the sign that is opposite to the sun sign. (at this point it would be easier to draw you a picture which is what I've done in Corrine Kenners MAAT Tarot workbook and the MAAT Tarot Moon Signs book)
MAAT Tarot only deals with 4 of the actual moon phases in a monthly cycle.
The new moon which is always going to be the same as the sun sign and the first and last quarter which falls about 7 days in between.
The symbolism of waxing and waning energy is there if you choose to use it.
I like to use it to show if you are at the beginning end or middle of a situation.
But if you are already reading the cards intuitively that is great...go with that.

Sometimes it helps to lay out the cards in the wheel of the year just so
you can see it for yourself. Don't over complicate it. Don't worry about knowing astrology. You don't need to know everything about astrology to get this. Think of the signs as a backdrop or a scene nothing more.
Think of the minor cards as simply details to help explain the major cards
and the major cards are just like slices of a pie explaining the central card that is the World card or "everything".

Think the world as the center which is like the symbolic whole or a year.
The year is divided into 4 seasons the aces.
The four seasons can be divided in half as well the eight cross quarter days.
Within each season there are 3 lunar cycles if 28 days 12 cycles in a year. But because 28 doesn't divide perfectly into 365 days we sometimes have 13 full moons in a year(covered by the moon card) the moon cycles are divided into smaller details using new, first quarter, full and last quarter to simplify this point. In all you are given every possible moment in a year which can be applied symbolically to any question or human situation.

And this is how MAAT works. Giving the months back to the moon and giving the sun it's cross quarter days it gives a balanced solar and lunar look at a symbolic year.
Hope that helps!
Julie
Top   #10