View Single Post
Le Mat

Richard 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnosticTarotCards View Post
LRichard:

The author of Revelations was John of Patmos.. not the same author as the one who compiled the Gospel of John. FYI. Also there is a hot debate on weather the Johannine Prologue is somewhat parallel to the Barbeloite or Sethian Pronoia Monologue that is at the end of the Nag Hammadi Codex - Secret book of John. They are very much perpetuating the same ideas.

Glad to hear your knowledge of bibliolotry! Not to be rude about the John comment, its a common mistake. Elaine Pagels new book Revelations was the one that fixed it for me..

Tim.
Thanks for confirming my response to Breakbeat_Mystic on 2/12/2013. I also question whether the beginning of the Gospel was written by the same person (or persons) who wrote the bulk of the book. There does indeed seem to be agreement between the ideas expressed at the beginning of the Gospel and the Gnostic mythology of the Apocryphon of John (not to be confused with the Apocalypse of John (or Revelation), although most of the book expresses fairly conventional Pauline type theology. It is a radical departure from the Synoptic Gospels, which keep the theologizing to a minimum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRichard View Post
Yes, the Gospel of John sucks you in with neoplatonic sounding jargon at the beginning, before degenerating into what many consider to be the most anti Jewish of the four gospels. It is also the most compatible with Pauline theology, which makes it a favorite of fundamentalists and evangelicals. The author of John's gospel is a very clever fellow.

BTW, the Greek used in John's Apocalypse is quite different from that of the Gospel. It is much more grammatically irregular, and the vocabulary is dramatically larger. I seriously doubt that the Gospel and the Apocalypse (Revelation, not Revelations) were written by the same dude.
ETA. Also there was extensive editing done to the Gospel. The famous story of the woman caught in adultery (John 8: 1-11) was not part of the original manuscript.

Top   #30