View Single Post
Resident

Fronterance 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
It's like someone who complains that Spot the Dog doesn't have the same depth as Shakespeare. It's not supposed to!
Let's flesh out the comparison. Spot The Dog (or "See Spot Run?") would be a book that teaches children how to read, correct? So then, when they are good readers, they can attempt to read some Shakespeare. (But, I would recommend "Ye Shall Spotteth The Dog That Didst Runneth" first to bridge the gap) Chicken Qaballah is "A Dilettante’s Guide to What You Do and Do Not Need to Know to Become a Qabalist". He's right about that because he advises in the book to join BOTA. I did and boy am I glad since the book itself was useless as a learning aid.

Regardless and whatever his aim was with the book, my point is that I don't need to be wasting my time with authors that write entertaining drivel. The market is saturated with intro to the Qaballah books, most of which are more revealling than DuQuette's and a heck of a lot more practical. Is that so incredibly wrong to say?

I am not trying to insult the man or anything. If I had endless time and money, I would continue to buy his books for the wit, humor and honesty. But, unfortunately, I have found that the content of his books are practically useless to anyone with a few really good books. Like "Magick of Aleister Crowley," for instance. Nice little handbook, but that's about it. Practically no additional instruction or advice beyond what was already available.
Top   #23