Lengthening readings

andromedastarseed

I just wanted to say that some Readers read quickly, and sometimes a Reader has nothing in the cards to really feed off for some clients. Some clients don't talk at all so you have to engage in one rather long monologue - this these things also can shorten the length of time of your readings.

Quick Readers also have a benefit in some circumstances. They are often very good when doing Expos and Fairs where there is more than one reader and there are many clients. Short time slots and readers who can read within the short time slots are a benefit at these gigs. They are easy to schedule for (if Readers are in an organized group), and no one is left waiting to get a reading because they are concise, direct and time conscious.

Its the 'quality' of the time that matters when the sitter is with you, not the 'amount' of time.

Keep the quicker reading skill you have and add to it with expanding your skills and your reading quality.

You may want to consider reading at places or events which support your own style.
XOX

That's good advice. I'm currently reading at a book store. They're being very nice by allowing me to use the space for free.

andromedastarseed

In my professional readings, I offer either a 30-minute Celtic Cross spread or a 20-minute, 7-card "environmental development" spread. I had to tighten up on my approach to fit the CC into a half-hour because historically I've spent 45 minutes to an hour to thoroughly explore one. I usually spend a few minutes on preliminary chat on the front end and another few minutes on a summary at the end. In between, beside reading the individual cards as a narrative, I focus on any remarkable features in the spread, like an abundance or absence of any particular energy or influence, and reversals give me an opportunity to expand my interpretive palette as well. I always welcome my sitters to ask questions at any time during the reading, and some take me up on the standing offer. As you develop an "ear" for nuance in a reading, you will find many different avenues of inquiry to travel, and your problem will be "an embarrassment of riches" rather than a bare cupboard.

Thanks for that! Maybe it's practice and experience.

I do ask for questions during the reading. And after I ask if they have more. They always say it's spot on. That's good. But the store has me scheduled for a half hour and I want to fill that time up. I do read reversals. I think they're fun. They tell me when there is a pothole coming up :)

headincloud

You could perhaps start by pulling an overview card, by that I mean the card will be exerting a strong influence over the person and affecting his or her actions. Something to be taking into consideration when interpreting the other cards so for example if the Emperor came up it might indicate this person is in a period of expansion and looking to become more their own person in the world which will be the drive behind the other cards presently. If 4C came up as a major influence it might indicate the person is lost, withdrawn and in a bored state and it's strongly affecting current matters.

You could follow up with a snapshot spread pulling one card for work, one for love life, one for family, friendships, neighbours etc, add whatever categories you see fit and work through them giving a brief summary of how you see each card so for example if 5S came up for neighbours there may be problems or conflict it would be worth taking a closer look at. Another example might be the world coming up under relationship which might imply a soul mate, a solid relationship and success so your time may be better spent else where if that is rock solid. Advise them where you feel your time might be well spent but let them choose then go ahead and lay out a full spread, I use C.Cross but it's up to you. You may have time to cover a few of the snapshot cards in 30 min but you won't cover them all so you'll be against the clock and time will fly.

Another way of extending your readings may be to learn the lovers tarot Jayne Lyle because so many women are keen to get insights into relationships and it doesn't refer exclusively to lovers so you'll be able to look at dynamics in relationships, it will also add to your understanding of the majors as it's a majors only deck.

Reading for people on here will most certainly help you to become fluent, spend some time in 'your readings' forum perhaps but ultimately you'll find your own style.

Grizabella

I think the best solution is to charge per reading, not per hour. (In this case, half hour, but you get what I mean. :) )

Instead of advertising you're charging X amount of money for a 3O-minute reading, just advertise you do (for instance) a Celtic Cross for X amount of money. That way you're allowing a reasonable amount of time to explore that CC without having to fuss around trying to fill time if the reading doesn't take a whole 30 minutes.

nisaba

I guess my question is how do I lengthen my readings? Do I have them ask more questions and cast more spreads, or should I do a giant spread? Or am I putting too much pressure on myself?

Thanks in advance!

Sometimes a twenty card spread will throw a fifteen minute reading, and a two card spread will take forty-five minutes.

Talk around the images. One you have spoken, ask questions about how that energy or interpretation of a card fits into their life. Often it will, but not in the way you thought - and there's room for more discussion of that card.

Ace

you got a lot of good advice here, andromedastarseed. I would only add: slow down. NOT to extend the reading out, but to allow yourself to think about what you are seeing. You may suddenly realize the issue is a block they are having or something they need to consider and you can lay more cards down to look at that. The cards can take you down "side alleys" to places you didn't expect.

To give an example: a women (Back in my psychic fair days) was having marital issues. I read what I could but ended up with the conclusion that yes, there were issues. She said, oh, well, and asked another question but suddenly I saw it: (I was using the Robin Wood and looking at 4 of swords) and I asked the CARDS, why was she so cold? I laid out another card and answered my own question, she had been molested as a child. She knew about it but never made the connection between that and what was going on now. She sat back and burst into tears. So it was by stopping and SEEING that there was a problem and then asking the CARDS WHY was there a problem that we were able to go down a side alley and illuminate the REAL problem.

So when you realize what the problem is the client has, travel down the side alley to what the solution is. It will take more time and give you better answers.

Good luck

Barb

feminine_mystique

you got a lot of good advice here, andromedastarseed. I would only add: slow down. NOT to extend the reading out, but to allow yourself to think about what you are seeing. You may suddenly realize the issue is a block they are having or something they need to consider and you can lay more cards down to look at that. The cards can take you down "side alleys" to places you didn't expect.

To give an example: a women (Back in my psychic fair days) was having marital issues. I read what I could but ended up with the conclusion that yes, there were issues. She said, oh, well, and asked another question but suddenly I saw it: (I was using the Robin Wood and looking at 4 of swords) and I asked the CARDS, why was she so cold? I laid out another card and answered my own question, she had been molested as a child. She knew about it but never made the connection between that and what was going on now. She sat back and burst into tears. So it was by stopping and SEEING that there was a problem and then asking the CARDS WHY was there a problem that we were able to go down a side alley and illuminate the REAL problem.

So when you realize what the problem is the client has, travel down the side alley to what the solution is. It will take more time and give you better answers.

Good luck

Barb
Hey Barb out of curiosity how did you know that information with the cards. I would see child abuse as possibly 6 of cups rx and possibly 8 of swords as well, correct me if I'm wrong and how do you bring that up in a conversation with someone when it's such a delicate topic?

Ace

Actually it was wheel of fortune rx--in the Robin Wood deck, a picture of a sad women would then be on top. As for how I broached it, now I would say, yes, that is hard to do, but at the time I just said, "Were you molested as a child?" and she said (all in a rush) "YesbutIamoveritnow." Just as rushed as that. I smiled at her and said well, I think that is what is pushing you away from your husband, and as I said, she sat back to think about it and cracked like an egg. I told her to talk to her husband about it and it would make things better. She recovered quickly and was very happy with the reading.

If she had said, no, I would have apologized and moved on in the reading.

I don't know if it would be that easy to say ALL the time, but at the time, it was just the right thing to say. It was the avenue that needed to go down to deal with the coldness--the need to withdrawal, I think--that I was seeing in the cards.

Barb

SunChariot

I've started to practice reading for clients (currently I'm not charging as I want the experience), but I'm noticing I'm having a hard time filling a 30 minute reading slot. I'm usually done within 15 minutes, 20 if I'm lucky and the client is chatty.

I guess my question is how do I lengthen my readings? Do I have them ask more questions and cast more spreads, or should I do a giant spread? Or am I putting too much pressure on myself?

Thanks in advance!

I'd say go with what comes naturally for you. If you are done in 15 minutes then do 15 minute readings, you can then fit in twice as many.

I think some people are longer because that is what is natural to them. Some others probably find it hard to fill 15 minutes. I say be yourself and don't try to be someone else. :grin:

My readings tend to be long. I know I don't read in person, but I see mine e-mail readings tend to be longer than other people's. I don't try to do anything to be that way. It's just what's natural to me. It's in the way I think and see things. Long-winded person naturallu.

But I say in Tarot just be your best you and don't compare yourself to others. 15 minutes of valuable info is not better than 15 minutes of valuable info PLUS 15 minutes of filler. As long as it's just a timing thing.

On the other hand if you feel the readings lack substance or are not as useful as they could be, that is something else to work on. But otherwise no problem.

Alternatively, as long as you are just reading for practice now...you could tell the querents so and ASK them if they have any suggestions of other things they would like to see or hear about from you. They are the people best able to judge your readings. Your querents. Or you could just ask your cards what else you could add into your readings. The cards can very much tell you how to be the best reader you can be.

Babs

Shade

If I have some time left at the end I just pick some topic that arose during the first reading and add a three to four card strategy spread onto it.