pips

finaflight

could someone tell me. What r pips

thank you

Bad_Calvin

I am not sure of the answer but I think it is the minor arcana cards, with just a number and symbol. Like a deck of playing cards would be pip cards.

Lain_82

You've just made me realize that I don't know what pips are either!!!!!

:surprise:

Bad_Calvin

It would be nice to get an explanation of it, but like I said. I think it is like a card with a symbol or mark on it.
for example playing cards just have pip's on it, no artwork, just a number pip, or a symbol pip.

tarot cards with pips would be cards that have a 3() 3 of pentacles. substitute the word pip for (mark, or spot, or symboled)...

I will wait for confirmation, but that is what it appears to be by the way it is being used.

Moonbow

Pips are the numbered cards Ace to Ten in the Minors. Although most people now relate pips to being in non-scenic decks such as the Marseilles.

goddesscarlie

here is the wikipedia entry for pips:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pips

It does say that pips can have a 'representative image', so I guess illustrated scenes could be included. Of course, wikipedia can be edited by anyone, so you can't take what it says as gospel, but it is usually pretty acurate. But, often when I see people talking about 'pips' they are talking about non illustrated cards from 1-10, like a normal pack of playing cards.

firecatpickles

Here are three pips from my favorite deck, the Constantini Minchiate 1980 from Solleone Publishers.

In example one, there is "representative art." In example two, there is very little representative art. And example three is sans representative art.

K:spade:K

Attachments

• 6 di Spade.JPG
    6 di Spade.JPG
    33.6 KB · Views: 151
  • 4 di Denari.JPG
    4 di Denari.JPG
    29.4 KB · Views: 147
  • 10 di Coppe.JPG
    10 di Coppe.JPG
    31.1 KB · Views: 145

goddesscarlie

aha! Thanks kilts_knave :)

kwaw

Etymology of 'Pip'

Well we might think it is related to a pip as in the pips of a fruit, pip being a shortened form of pippin. However, as relating to the emblems or spots on playing cards, dice, dominos or numbers of moves in backgammon the etymological dictionary relates it to the old English pepen, possibly an alternative form of piken, from which the English words peep and peek are derived. The same derivation relates to its military use in the British Army as in the stars on a uniform to indicate rank, and as a term in botany to indicate a single blossom in a cluster. To peep is among other things a transitive verb meaning to cause to emerge or become visible, a first glimpse or appearance, eg, the peep of dawn, the moon peeped through the clouds.

How does this relate to cards? Well it is probably rooted in the idea of something hidden becoming revealed, as in the first turn of the cards, or the showing of one's hand.

A very appropriate term also perhaps, in a sense meaning revelation, for something used for divination. Of the fortune teller who uses them to take a peep [transitory glimpse] into one's future.

Kwaw

Lee

kilts_knave said:
Here are three pips from my favorite deck, the Constantini Minchiate 1980 from Solleone Publishers.
Nice deck!

-- Lee