Help needed with 9 of Cups reversed

marieb

Hey guys,

I'm new to the forum, so I just want to say hello to everybody!

I've been reading tarot for a year now, but it's been more of a hobby, and now I really want to learn how to read the cards properly.

I did a Celtic Cross spread today asking whether my partner loved me and got the reversed 9 of Cups. What do you guys think? Thanks so much!

gorgeousbutterfly

hmmm is it possible he loves you but thinks you don't love him as much?

marieb

I haven't thought of it that way actually... I do care about him, it's just it takes a long time for me to let my guard down... Thank you very very much!

rwcarter

I did a Celtic Cross spread today asking whether my partner loved me and got the reversed 9 of Cups. What do you guys think? Thanks so much!
Welcome to Aeclectic! What position was the 9 Cups in? That makes quite a difference to potential interpretations.

marieb

Thanks! Good to be here! :)

The 9 of Cups was in the Final Outcome position.

rwcarter

9 Cups is often referred to as the "Wish Card", which would speak more to your desire for an answer than his actual feelings. That could indicate that he loves you "in his way" which is different than how you'd like him to love you.

If it's a longer term relationship that's seen its share of ups and downs, then the reversed 9 could indicate that his emotions have all drained away.

Rodney

marieb

Thank you very much Rodney!

I am aware that his way of loving me is unique, but our situation is a bit complicated... Everything was amazing and dreamy for a month, we really connected, but then I had to move to another town, and we decided we would take a break and talk about our future when summer ends.... So, the outcome will be love then? Thank you again!

Grizabella

With a reversed 9 of Cups, I'm afraid I don't see it as being so optimistic. The upright 9 of Cups would be positive for what you'd like to see, but the reversed would be the opposite, don't you think? All those full cups would drain and be empty if you turn them upside down.

A Celtic Cross is quite a big, complicated spread for answering a yes/no question, so the other cards in the spread will have given you more information. If you want help with the whole spread, you could post the whole thing in the Your Readings forum and we can help you with it more extensively.

marieb

Yeah, I didn't really think it was a good thing either... The whole spread was full of reversed cards! Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question! I posted the entire spread in the 'Your Readings' section: http://www.tarotforum.net/showthread.php?t=179342

Looking forward to everyone's insight!

Thirteen

Not the best question/spread

I see two problems: (1) Tarot doesn't like yes/no questions, and that's what you asked. "Does he love me?" Tarot cards can say yes/no, but so can a coin you flip. With 78 cards and a ten card spread, the Tarot prefers conversations, complex answers, like "He loves you, but not like you think, let me explain...." :) So, your first problem is the question.

(2) The Celtic Cross is not a good spread for this question, because the outcome card is not about what IS (he loves you) but what is likely TO BE if things remain the same. Which means that outcome can be changed if you change what you're doing. So if you really want to know what your partner feels for you, you really need a better question and a better spread. A question like "What does he feel for me?" (not limited to yes/no, and allows for a wider discussion of the topic); also a partnership spread showing what each of you thinks would likely serve you better than the CC.

Understanding all this helps, I think, to understand your 9/Cups rx. The cards are saying that if things continue on as they are, this will be the likely result in regards to his love for you. Right-side-up, the cups are full. Upside-down, everything spills out. As someone else said, your "wish" is blocked (reversed) rather than made true. Which doesn't mean he doesn't love you. What it does mean is that whatever is going on between you is leading to this conclusion. So you might want to find out what you need to do different if you want him to have those feelings for you that you wish him to have. If you want to avoid this "likely to be" that is not yet happening, but could.

Does that make sense?