Elemental Dignities Study Group Discussion & Index Thread

rwcarter

In this thread, we'll discuss Elemental Dignities in general terms and I'll also index all of the Study Group Threads.

The following rules and associations are the basis for the EDSG. If you use other rules or associations, please list them when participating in the threads.

Elemental Associations

Fire
Emperor
Strength
Wheel of Fortune
Temperance
Tower
Sun
Judgement

Water
High Priestess
Chariot
Hanged Man
Death
Moon

Air
Fool
Magician
Lovers
Justice
Star

Earth
Empress
Hierophant
Hermit
Devil
World

Elemental Dignity Rules
- Fire and Air are friendly and strengthen each other for good or ill
- Water and Earth are friendly and strengthen each other for good or ill
- Fire and Water are unfriendly and weaken each other
- Air and Earth are unfriendly and weaken each other
- Fire and Earth are neutral to each other, but neutral interactions are considered friendly
- Air and Water are neutral to each other, but neutral interactions are considered friendly

Index of Study Group Threads:
EDSG #1 - 4 Swords, Death and 2 Pentacles
EDSG #2 - King Cups, 3 Cups, Queen Swords
EDSG #3 - Ace Swords, Knight Swords, Justice
EDSG #4 - 10 Swords, 6 Wands, Ace Cups
EDSG #5 - 9 Wands, Hermit, Lovers
EDSG #6 - Hierophant, 8 Swords, 7 Cups
EDSG #6 - Hierophant, 8 Swords, 7 Cups (Revisited)
EDSG #7 - 3 Pentacles, 6 Pentacles, King Wands
EDSG #8 - 5 Pentacles, 3 Wands, Chariot

shadowdancer

I have to say, out of all the studies I have seen on AT, this one is the one that is likely to open me up to so many new ways of viewing the cards. I have tried to get my head round these before, but due to the fact it has not been possible to ask questions, clarify things etc, I have found I have backed off.

Thanks for starting this Rodney, and to all of you who are diving in and seeing how it works with these three cards as an example so far.
I am going to re-read this, make notes etc, and when it starts to click I will certainly consider diving in. For now though, I am learning about how the dynamics change in a 3 card layout, depending on what element is where. Once I have it I can move on to the next step and build my understanding and be a more dynamic contributer.

You are all terrific people :)

Davina

jenessa

I have to say, out of all the studies I have seen on AT, this one is the one that is likely to open me up to so many new ways of viewing the cards. I have tried to get my head round these before, but due to the fact it has not been possible to ask questions, clarify things etc, I have found I have backed off.
I agree with you on both counts. Indeed i recall being shut down one time when i tryed to discuss elemental interaction on the using tarot card forum, because I had to make mention of a 2nd. card in order to describe the elemental interaction I was inquiring about .. so alas my post was removed, but then again, that was back in the days when the forum rules did not allow for discussion beyond a single card.

In any event, i'm glad times have changed because as readers we tend to concentrate on interpreting the cards in relation to their placement (ie. the surrounding cards), and using ed's is a good exercise in really thinking about how the cards are effecting one another.

I've never been part of a tarot study group before, but i can appreciate the concept given that i spent 45 minutes last nite and again today just reading over what people have posted re: their takes and thinking about the way others approach reading according to dignity. So yes i've definitely devoted some time to "studying" this thread. Tho this is the last week i have to devote to my tarot studies, given that i have pressing paperwork to concentrate on beginning next week, and which will occupy the vast majority of my time till Spring,, tho i will follow this thread and continue to learn as time permits.

I'm not sure what Rodney's planning re: how this study group will evolve, but then again evolve is the operative word in the sense that such groups tend to take on a life of their own.

REGARDS/jenessa

jenessa

Just want to point-out that this study group affords readers with the opportunity to view three card throws/(triads).

Or rather should I say, given the subject matter this allows us to work with 3 cards, and otherwise to bypass the 2 card restriction re: using tarot card forum.

In addition to which, Rodney has also devised this exercise so that each of the three triads are interpreted according to: career; relationships; finance; home, thus: each draw results in twelve interpretations which he posts @ the beginning of each new thread.

So aside from the intricacies of working with elemental dignities, this study group offers a wealth of basic info. c/o the info. Rodney posts @ the beginning of every discussion, and is well worth the read!

rwcarter

Are folks getting anything out of this study group? More than 30 people said they would participate, yet far fewer than that have actually posted. If you have questions, ask them. If you want to learn how to use EDs, start posting your takes on the cards.

If participation doesn't pick up, I'll take that to mean that folks aren't interested. And I'll use my limited time on other things.

Rodney

rwcarter

Participation hasn't really picked up, but I have gotten a couple of PMs from folks who are really enjoying the exercises and finally beginning to understand EDs. So I'll post one or two more exercises and then make a final decision about the future of this study group at that point. Next exercise will be posted this weekend.

merissa_88

I really love this study group. Unfortunately, I recently discovered it and am playing catch-up. Hope it keeps going and that we eventually cover EDs in layouts like the Celtic Cross where there aren't triads.

Thanks for all the work you are putting into this!

merissa_88

shells

I've only just discovered this as well. I'm very interested in learning more, but I don't know that I have the time or knowledge to participate in the discussions.

rwcarter

The best way to learn is to ask questions and to try your hand at interpreting EDs. :)

JasonCS

I'm new here and I find the layers of the card interesting. What I have a question about is you say that it is a 3 card spread use. i like the Celtic Cross spread. If I were to use the Celtic Cross would it be the same?

Another way to look at it is say I took just the cross part of the spread. It aligns as a 3 card spread going up and down as well as left to right. Would the elemental rules still work?