Thoth-ed...

Scion

I love the image of a book lurking... })

It is exactly the kind of book to lurk, but in an ironic, loveable mode of lurking.

Abrac

Suster's book is available at Amazon. There's one new one left and several used ones.

Just read the review at Taropedia. It quotes the author:

"New Age is merely softened down and tarted up Christianity; an outmoded religion once adhered to by primitive mammalian primates based upon ludicrous notions of sin and guilt. Under Christianity, perfectly natural desires were called 'sinful'. Under New Age, you still have to be guilty as sin for the same, for the words and phrases are 'unspiritual' - whatever that may mean - or 'not virtuous'. Whatever words are used, people still end up feeling guilty over perfectly natural and honourable feelings like love, hate, lust, anger et al."

Sounds like my kinda book. :laugh:

Scion

I have to confess, Abrac. I put that quote up there... It's one of my faves. :thumbsup:

HearthCricket

Scion said:
If you're just dipping your toe in to Thothland. I'd heartily recommend Lon DuQuette's Understanding Aleister Crowley's Thoth Tarot, which really opens the door to the symbolism etc for beginners.

Thanks for mentioning this. I just ordered it from Amazon and look forward to some perusal time! I was looking at those little blurbs you can peek at, on certain Amazonian books, and it spoke to me, so it is on its way! :)

fyreflye

Scion said:
Absolutely! I'm very curious/excited to get my paws on this Snuffin book. There are so few good Thoth books and I love hearing new takes on these cards.

Mark McElroy has a curiously noncommittal review of it on The Tarot Channel: http://tinyurl.com/2qaewq

Emily

I've got the Snuffin book on pre-order too - I hadn't read that review fyreflye but I'd still have ordered the book.

I find that sometimes books can over analyse and you end up forgetting half of what you've read. I like books that cut through the waffle. :)

The first time I read the Thoth, I understood none of it but I thought it was down to earth and didn't waffle on, second time I understood a little more. I still think its a book that has to be read quite a few times before it gives up its secrets.

WalesWoman

Someone was cleaning out their tarot closet about a week ago and I happened along just in time to pick up a greenie Thoth. (The price was right... the Thoth and a Lenormand for one of my boxes)

It's in the mail and I can't wait to discover the World of Thoth. DuQuette is on my wish list, but until I actually click Checkout, I'll be muddling through the PDF version of BoT. I may even print it out, because I can't see myself scrolling to find what I want to.

There are tons of good pdf books on this site.

http://www.ritualmagick.org/tiki-list_file...de=filename_asc

WalesWoman

gregory said:
deleted on second thoughts...........
oh dang, now I really want to know what your first thoughts were.

ficha

I have a question.. I know there are two different large thoth..
but I heard that us games large thoth does not have green tinge anymore..
Then are these two indistinguishable? Or is still the color of swiss large deck better?

Scion

Supposedly the large Us Games and the Blue Box AG Mueller are identical, but I've always found that the Blue Box has richer, more subtle color and sturdier stock. Would others agree?