View Single Post
Citizen

Aeon418 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windhorse
Thanks for that info, mate! I'm interested in the study part of the GD also. I'm happy with my well-worn Haindl and Thoth decks for reading.
I only use the Golden Dawn decks for study myself. They are quite useful when used in conjunction with the Thoth and Rider-Waite decks. Essentially the ideas and symbols in the Golden Dawn deck were the base-line for both Crowley and Waite. From that base-line it's obvious that Crowley expanded and built upon the Golden Dawn structure. He revealed all of the esoteric symbolism, while giving it a Thelemic upgrade at the same time.
Waite, on the other hand, appears to have been more guarded. He appears to have deliberately altered or omited certain symbols in order to hide the esoteric nature of the Golden Dawn deck. That's quite funny really when you think that Waite's deck and it's countless clones are now considered to be the "standard" by which all other Tarot are measured. Quite by accident Waite's deliberate deceptions have been copied again and again and again. It's still a good deck though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Windhorse
I agree with what you said about Hermetic qabbalh too - it is a different system; that's the nature of Hermeticism: the alchemical syncretism of disparate elements to create something bigger, brighter, better.....
Yep!!

Many traditional Hebrew scholars, such as Gershom Scholem, have been quite vitriolic in their attacks on the Hermetic Qabalah, the Golden Dawn, Aleister Crowley and the Tarot. And from their traditional Hebrew Kabbalistic perspective they are both right and justified.
But they fail (or refuse) to realise that the western Hermetic Qabalah is now a seperate system in it's own right that has evolved beyond the straight jacket of Hebrew Kabbalistic orthodoxy. Instead they see it as a perverse distortion or "their" tradition.

Robert Wang sums it up pretty nicely in his introduction to his "The Qabalistic Tarot". Recommended!
Top   #65