Pearls of Wisdom - Two of Wands

Rede Seeker

Is this the 'Look Both Ways' card? Check out the man's face - there are at least three, possibly a fourth looking behind him (can't tell from this angle). This Traveller sees in all directions.

Yikes! The sun behind the man reminds me of the water reflections from the Seven of Swords. Or is that a moon? There are two stars in the sky on the right side of it. It may be both sun and moon - one side is yellow, the other (the same side as the stars) is white. In the Seven of Swords, our Traveller was on a journey by night, armed and ready for opposition. The Traveller in the Two of Wands is on a wholly different journey.

A bearded man with mulitple faces stands at a fork in the road. The road looks to be fertile earth lined with flames. The fork has the same sign for each direction, a wooden arrow with the Rune Ehwaz upon it. Each sign post has a serpent twinned around it, facing the man at the fork. There is a lighted torch at each fork. The road behind him trails off to the left, we don't see where it ends. There are torches on either side of that road, too.

The man himself looks like a firey lepruchaun. He has green leggings, belt, cloak and hat, but yellow and red tunic, had band and boots. He carries two pearl-topped wands. One looks to be a walking stick; the other is just as long but is used to carry a bag of his posessions. Both wands have pearls twined around them. These wands have leaves sprouting on them indicating they are still fruitful. There is a yellow ribbon spiralling along their length. The pearl-tops are glowing. There are two similar wands standing at the lower edges of the card.

Green Earth Spirits appear on both sides of the horizon.

There are shelves on the upper corners. The shelf on the left holds a pentacle-coin, one dice cube, two shafts of grain and a double-terminated crystal hung from a cord. The shelf on the right holds a strand of pearls and a brightly-burning candle with a smiling face on it.

There is no Rune on the left wall under the shelf; the rune Laguz appears on the right wall under the shelf. The Runes Thurisaz (reversed) and Raidho are etched into the lentel between the shelves. In all, four Runes are represented here. The Runes on the signposts point the way, the direction is to Trust (Ehwaz). Thurisaz is the Rune of boundaries and protecting those boundaries. In reverse position, the Rune could indicate a release of existing boundaries (indicating new territory?). Raidho is the Rune of the Journey, the Ride, and Rede one receives along the way. Laguz represents water - Life Energy and organic growth (ref. Thorsson, 'Introduction to the Germanic Tradition').

With fire to quicken his steps and water to refresh him along the way, the earth firm beneath his feet and green along the pathway, our Traveller's physical needs are met. What Nature fails to provide, he carries with him in his sack. He is empowered for his journey. All that is left to him here is to choose a path. Either one will do.

I'm having trouble reading the sky. Perhaps he's travelling at an 'in-between' time - neither day nor night. His journey is Magickally inspired or blessed? Perhaps the sky colors represent the air element. The Traveller here is fully arrayed - he has only to choose his direction.

Sulis

Have you noticed the way that the action on the wands cards seems to be facing out at us, the viewer? Maybe this reflects the Wands outward and outgoing slant.

This is a strange card... It took me a while to work out what's wrong with his face and then I realised that he has in fact got more than one face so yes, he's looking both ways, deciding which route would be the best or which route he's brave enough to travel.
Interesting that both pathways have the same sign, making me think that both paths are equal or could end up in the same place... Everyone has their own way of getting there but the ultimate destination could well be the same...

I think that the sky shows both day and night - this is a 2 card and shows duality and balance - I think that the other 2s are similar and they all show the sky split between day and night.

So this then is a natural pause along the path (no action related to The High Priestess). A chance to look both outward as this is a wands card and also a chance to look inward as this is a 2 to decide on the best course of action.

He does look like a leprechaun doesn't he? But then most of the people on the Wands cards have a pixie or leprechaun look about them.

jcwirish

Again, a great card. This isn't about indecision or immobility. This card is about that all important pause you should take before choosing which direction you will go. It's a time to assess where you are both internally and externally.

You are at a crossroads, but you're not stuck. You are taking the necessary time you need to make the very best decision based on where you are right now.

I like how he has more than one face. He's looking right left and forward. He's making his choice, but he's making it thoughtfully. He's not rushing to a rash decision.

emmsma

The first thing I noticed when pulling this card out was how the sky in the background resembles an eye. The sun/moon as its pupil.

I Love the many faced traveler. He sees all. He is aware of all the opportunities/avenues that are open and available to him.

His road, lined in a row of flame, shows his drive and sense of purpose - his passion for the road he is on.

emmsma

The pause at the fork in the road. The snakes that wait there, wrapped around the signposts.

There may be dangers, but with his determination and clarity of sight, he will be able to find his way.

jcwirish

emmsma said:
The first thing I noticed when pulling this card out was how the sky in the background resembles an eye. The sun/moon as its pupil.

I Love the many faced traveler. He sees all. He is aware of all the opportunities/avenues that are open and available to him.

His road, lined in a row of flame, shows his drive and sense of purpose - his passion for the road he is on.

Hey, I didn't notice the sky before. It does resemble and eye. I like that.

I also like the observation that both roads look the same. They both offer challenges, and I would imagine, they both offer many good things. The choice isn't really easy, because there's no clear "right" choice. You have to decide.

I like the dice and the coin at the top on the shelf. They remind us that if we do happen to get stuck, we need to keep moving. "Roll the dice", "flip a coin". Just get moving in a direction again. It's always better to be progressing, then to stop for too long and get stuck. The pause here is necessary, but don't let it turn into immobility.

emmsma

That fits too. I noticed the dice, but then lost its message.

Something like, being willing to take the chance, on the roll of a die.

You've got to make a choice, to move forward.