Combinations of cards for drug addiction?

MissCW

Hi everyone, I am a bit rattled today...

I've had 3 of Swords popping up in some of my readings lately (for me) and so I thought I would try what other people do, sleep with the card under my pillow for some insight. I've never tried this before and I thought this was quite brave with it being 3 of Swords!!

I ended up having a very disturbing dream about a good friend of mine and it was all about him being a drug addict. It woke me up at 3.00 am and I had to go and make a drink! I've never known this man to be a drug user ...

Honestly, I am really rattled by this dream it was so vivid. Its staying with me all day and I am thinking of looking into it with a spread. What pattern should I be looking for? I was thinking of 4 of Cups, Devil maybe the Moon?

While I'm at it, can anyone think of a good spread for this to apply to this?

Sorry this is a lot of questions, but for people who have done the card/pillow thing, have your insights proved to be accurate?

floracove

Please be careful reading into other people.

(for some reason just feel to say this first, as this feels awkward to me...strange vibrations. Stay alert at all times, actually flight reactions would be best.)
I'm not sure why, but that's what I pick up from reading your post and replying.

Have you ever dreamed of this person before?

Why do you think these cards
4 of Cups, Devil maybe the Moon
come to mind for you?

edit*
Maybe I'm picking up on your rattling.

coyoteblack

well I have been in AA/NA for almost 5 years
the devil card in most decks applies to addiction
Addiction kind of takes over your life so i am guessing that any spread would show a addiction card in his present if the cards know him as an addict

and getting up in the middle of the night to make a drink is a good sighn..(just kiddng sort of)

tarotreader2007

Don't forget that the 7/c is a very druggy card as well. Just fyi. I would do a spread on it. The trick is, feel the cards. For all I know(or you know) you might get a strong feeling that the chariot in a reading is drug addiction. Tarot is the art of getting your feelings through the cards as well as sometimes using the basic definitions. But the other cards you mentioned could easily be drug addiction as well. Also, any overindulgence card. Temperance might be a warning against that too. Seeing as in American history, the temperance movement was the movement against foreign mind altering substances of the body.

tarotreader2007

**PEACE**

lili

Devil,7 of cups and Moon are a good combination for drug addiction.

cherryberry

tarotreader2007 said:
. Temperance might be a warning against that too. Seeing as in American history, the temperance movement was the movement against foreign mind altering substances of the body.
funny, my first thought was Temperance and Devil :D Temperance has for me very much the feeling of always going to both extremes of a scale, BEFORE finding the right balance, so I guess it really is a personal thing..

Still I think one of the cup cards 'should' be there as well...maybe the 7/cups is the one closest....

Grizabella

Don't forget 9 of Cups----the party card. People tend to see the 9 of cups as all good, but it's got its other side, too.

Devil and 9 of Cups would do it for me. That's if I saw it in a reading and I had asked a question about what might be wrong or something.

I wouldn't worry about that dream. It might not even be him the dream was about. I've read that in a dream, everything in the dream is ourselves in some way. Even if we dream about a house, we're the house and the rooms are parts of ourselves. Maybe you could google parts of the dream and get some insight that way.

And I wouldn't do any reading just trying to find out if someone has an addiction problem. If they do have, it will be quite apparent to most other people by the way it impacts his/her life without trying to find out by reading the cards. :) I'm an alcoholic and I wouldn't presume to call anyone an alcoholic but myself.

Thirteen

I can actually answer this in the affirmative. Devil, absolutely, and Moon and 7 Cups. I can attest to this because I had such cards in a reading once and asked the guy I was reading for: "Did you ever have a drinking or drug problem?"

Sure enough, he'd been an addicted and had been in re-hab. Reformed, but the cards asserted that he was at one of those vulnerable points in his life and needed to be careful that he didn't relapse.

It was, by the way, one of those rare, shockingly clear readings. There was no ambiguity or uncertainty in those three cards. Devil & 7/Cups for drinking problem, Devil & The Moon for drug problem. In the case of this guy, he'd had both.

The Devil is the key here. For example, the 9/cups point--which is a good one--9 Cups is a party card, but by itself, it's likely to mean just getting drunk at that one party. If it was with the Devil, then it might suggest one of those alcholics who (currently) waits for parties or friday-night gatherings to overindulge. He is an alchoholic, but he's a party/weekend alchoholic.

I don't think that Temperance would be a likely indicator. With Temperance, once you get drunk, you say, "Well, that didn't work," and go the other direction. Combined with the Devil, I'd be more inclined to read Temperance as a bartender who mixes up drinks and talks other people to trying his concoctions to see what happens. He's more likely to be the supplier than the addict.

Thirteen

Don't be too literal!

MissCW said:
I ended up having a very disturbing dream about a good friend of mine and it was all about him being a drug addict. It woke me up at 3.00 am and I had to go and make a drink! I've never known this man to be a drug user ...
I'd like to add something here.

Dream, like Tarot cards, don't spell things out in a stright-forward manner. They use symbols. If you've never known this man to be a drug user, than WHY are you taking this dream literally?

That'd be like seeing the 10/Swords and assuing he was *literally* going to get stabbed in the back. You wouldn't do that, would you?

The card is 3/Swords, that's usually about hurtful lies or truths that pierce someone right through the heart. It's about communications. Keep that in mind. So you had a dream about this guy becoming a drug addict. How does that relate? What does drug-addiction *symbolically* say to you? And why this friend?

What IS he into? What is HIS DRUG. Work? Golf? His girlfriend? Perhaps the message is that his particular drug, like a real drug, is about to hurt his heart. If he's addicted to his girlfriend, she might be about to hurt him badly.

I understand taking things literally--and it's always good to be concerned in that direction and see if there is any validity to a literal interpetation. But you also have to think outside the literal box, otherwise you end up warning someone to avoid dark alleys (for fear of them being literally stabbed in the back), rather than to watch out what their friends are saying (because they're verbally stabbing him in the back).

Grizabella

I was thinking about Temperance being associated with the bartender, too, Thirteen.

It's interesting about Devil and 9 Cups meaning the weekend binge drinker or drug user. I'll keep that one in mind. :)

Actually, I always thought I was a social drinker. I didn't drink alone because that would mean I was an alcoholic, so I thought. I was so social that I drank to socialize---every night of the week after awhile. I'd get so impatient for the weekend that I'd start the real partying on Thursday. :p

But back to the addiction cards---the biggest indicator I usually see is the Devil. When I see the Devil, then I pay attention to the cards around it for clues as to whether this is some kind of addiction issue. Relationship addiction is a biggee, usually, and will show up for me more than any other kind.

I have a question. Why would you see the 7 of Cups in relation to addiction? Would it speak to you of the hallucinations of withdrawal or what? If I were to associate it with addiction, that's what I'd consider it to be. But normally I don't think it would ring a bell for me in relation to addiction.