Empress and the Devil

casia

How can these two cards relate to eachother?, in a relationship spread I figured it is an abusive partner that doesn't let you be. But then again who is abusing who???

The empress could bea mean and selfish, or the devil with all his passion and no limits could be persuing the creativeness of the empress. Could be good in this aspect....

starrystarrynight

The Empress is a sensual, fertile woman in her own right, so maybe the Devil brings out even more of her deep physical sexuality(?)...sex without procreation in mind?

Just an off-the-wall thought. :D

hopena

I had this combination represent part of the reading on a "journey spread"; I would say a vacation, but the place they originally had in mind was no vacation (the Camino de Santiago). I thought it was weird that the Devil and the Empress would show up as the overall mood of that particular trip... they ended up going to Bangkok. (Prostitutes all over the place.)

I don't know if that was planned before or after my reading.

nisaba

I just had a feeling that sometimes the Empress is about abundance and the Devil is a warning to rein yourself in a bit, so could it be a caution to put the brakes on for a while? Maybe in sex, but also financially, emotionally, or even taking on more activities than you can really balance?

casia

Could they be addicted to eachother???? could this be only a physical thing??? To rein yourself is a good idea because another card in the spread was the 9 of swords. So this could definately be a relationship of a strong addictive, passionate attraction that is going through a painful moment.....

Thank you all!!

SunChariot

casia said:
How can these two cards relate to eachother?, in a relationship spread I figured it is an abusive partner that doesn't let you be. But then again who is abusing who???

The empress could bea mean and selfish, or the devil with all his passion and no limits could be persuing the creativeness of the empress. Could be good in this aspect....

Well it depends a lot on how you see the cards. To me the Devil simply means being tempted to do something, often something that you know is not in your best interest (like cheating on your diet) but not exclusively. it basically just means being tempted by something or someone. And yes lust. It often means lust and physical attraction as well.

The Empress is giving, kind, nurturing, caring, ...

So to me it could likely say that the person is a good lover, good in bed, unselfish, really cares about their partner and the experince they are having, often puts the other person's needs before their own...etc.just want to make their partner happy.

Or just if there is something else that the couple is tempted to do...that the person who is the Empress would be supportive of it and caring and nurture their partners needs.

Babs

SunChariot

starrystarrynight said:
The Empress is a sensual, fertile woman in her own right, so maybe the Devil brings out even more of her deep physical sexuality(?)...sex without procreation in mind?

Just an off-the-wall thought. :D
That also makes a lot of sense.

Babs

casia

Sun chariot

Thankyou that makes a lot of sense....

WalesWoman

A mommie who can't let go... takes the over bearing, over protective mama bear to the next level. Mother from Hell

Or Motherhood is like the Devil in " can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em", but that is more Empress/Hanged Man than Empress/Devil... could be unwanted pregnancy, but you keep it.

Dang, it's been forever, so now I can't remember the correct title... Mary's Baby. Spawned from Hell.

SunChariot

casia said:
Sun chariot

Thankyou that makes a lot of sense....

You're welcome, always here to try and help. :heart:

Babs