10 of swords as feelings?

carcinya

10 of swords as thoughts?

What could the 10 of Swords (clarified by 5 of Pentacles) mean as somebody's thoughts about you?

My first instinct is to say, "Feeling sad and desperate because of a perceived rejection", with an element of overreaction.

Curious to know how you guys would interpret this combo... :)

nisaba

I;'d be disengaging from them. Either they are very likely to suffer as a consequence of contact with me no matter how careful I am, or everyone is very likely to suffer, including me. Not a situation I wish to engage with.

Of course, at some stage, most of us have fallen into the trap of thinking that there's something appealing about suffering: we might feel as if hypochondriacs or broken-hearted people garner more positive feedback from those around them than happy people. If you are passing through such a phase, this combination of cards might indicate a situation that you are not ready to leave behind, if you feel it makes the other person appealing or might make you appealing.

carcinya

Thanks for your insight. :)

The situation (and surrounding cards) is a bit more complex than the initial question might let on, but I don't know if I can elaborate in this part of the forum? I'll edit out my post if it's a problem.

Let's just say those are the only two negative cards in the reading, and the readings I have done previously (including that person's feelings for me, not thoughts about me) were all very balanced and positive. I'm fairly certain those cards are referring about the fact that he thinks I'm unavailable (I'm not) and is certain I don't return his feelings (he's wrong). But I wanted to expand on the possible meanings, so thanks a lot Nisaba. :):)

thorhammer

You're right - if you wanted to give (and get) more information, the place for that would be in Your Readings. And you're more than welcome to post your reading in there; who knows, it might give you a really good insight into the reading.

To address your OP (and I'm assuming you're using a RWS-based deck) . . . I think you're definitely on the right track, particularly with the "overreaction" part of it. There's an element of drama-queen-ness, of desperation and attention-seeking to this pairing. There is a sense that the only course of action is to cut ties but also a strong unwillingness to do so.

\m/ Kat

Sade

I dont know the history but perhaps you have really hurt them

PAMUYA

another thought: they feel that you like to play the victum role...

pasara

I don't really understand how people are getting the over reaction drama queen part. Could you please elaborate?

To me the card speak rejection. The door has been shut on them.

carcinya

Sade: I have never hurt them as far as I know! The very thought makes my heart clench. He might be hurting *himself*, though, by thinking he doesn't have a chance with me (when he totally does!!!).

pasara: It's a common interpretation of the 10 of Swords. Yes, you're hurting but come on -- ten swords? One would have been enough! 10 is definitely overkill.

In my experience, difficult exterior events are usually heralded by the Tower, Death and the 3 of Swords. The ten of swords tends to come up in my readings as self-pity, feeling the victim, despair that is not always warranted, etc...

As for the 5 of Pentacles, in the Druidcraft this card shows a sad woman hiding her face against a tree. The meaning is rejection -- hence my initial interpretation of the 10 of Swords/5 of Pentacles combo.

pasara

carcinya said:
pasara: It's a common interpretation of the 10 of Swords. Yes, you're hurting but come on -- ten swords? One would have been enough! 10 is definitely overkill.

In my experience, difficult exterior events are usually heralded by the Tower, Death and the 3 of Swords. The ten of swords tends to come up in my readings as self-pity, feeling the victim, despair that is not always warranted, etc...
Hm. Interesting. I have never interpreted it that way, unless other cards point there. To me the 10 means over, no question about it, no possibility of resuscitation so stop trying or thinking you can get around it. Done. Finished. Finito. Similar to Death, but without the clearing the way aspect, has to do with the day to day or specific experience, as opposed to the more overarching energy that the major would indicate. To me it is not about pity etc, it is about facing the reality of the situation. I would see some of the court cards pointing to the drama queen idea, or cards like the 5 of cups, or even the 8 or 9 of Swords, but the 10 of Swords, no. Not saying you are wrong, if these are what the cards say to you, that is what matters, I just would not read them as such.

Eddie

carcinya said:
What could the 10 of Swords (clarified by 5 of Pentacles) mean as somebody's thoughts about you?

My first instinct is to say, "Feeling sad and desperate because of a perceived rejection", with an element of overreaction.

Curious to know how you guys would interpret this combo... :)

Although sometimes we pose a specific question to the cards, they do sometimes bring in other elements that might be contributing to the situation we have asked about, complicates things I know. This is the very reason why we need to ask questions, during readings and why, when we read about another, who is not present, can sometimes reveal more questions than answers.

If there is no history between you that could be connected to the suffering of the ten, then this guy has really been through the wars and this may have nothing to do with you.

Its unfair to assume that there is an element of drama queen about him. Anyone who has come out of a 10 of swords situation, would tell you that it was tough!! Whether anyone else agrees, is neither here nor there, its all relative to the person concerned and their suffering should never be dismissed. This ten is bringing the situation to a close. For him, it couldn't get any worse, however with the 5 as a clarifier, sadly its not going to get any better, any time soon. For me, this ten is reflecting how a painful and difficult situation has come to a head.

This is why this card can sometimes turn up with regards to bereavements and loss, an echoe with the five, don't you think?

He is finding it difficult to let go of this hurt, despite the sword element of this card, it does have very deep emotional consequences for the person concerned. For this reason he finds it difficult to show you any feelings of openness, where upon a friendship or relationship could possibly flourish. The five is an indication of how "out in the cold and hurting" he is feeling, for what ever reason.

Why do you think, he thinks you are unavailable? Are you giving off mixed vibes? Is this why the five is clarifying the ten, I wonder. Maybe its time to be totally open with him and make it clear, one way or the other of your interest or lack off and then follow it up with the appropriate action. Walk away or pursue.