I want an... Earlier version! Lots of questions...

Citrin

First of all, I am a huge fan of the RWS deck. :)

I asked my Religion teacher, who is very interested in playing cards, to copy an article comparing the different RWS versions for me. He did and I skimmed through it today. For a long time I searched for the RWS with the "hand written" card titles.

My first was a Swedish pocket version which I felt was too small for me, and had the computer font. My second was the Universal Waite which I adore, BUT as we all know it is quite changed from the original. :) Then I got my third deck from an auction site, I really hoped it would be the one with the hand written titles, but nope, it wasn't... It has the computer font. I read with it, but...

More than ever I want an earlier copy. I'm hoping you experts here can help me out. ;)

Apparently there are VERY early copies called Pam A and B or something like that? I realise it's probably impossible to get that, but is there some version which is closer to these original ones that I would actually be able to get? The backs play a role too, no?

Can anyone tell me WHERE I could find this and how much it would cost (I'm unfortunately not rich!)?

And btw, on an amazon-like site there's something called "The Original Rider Waite Tarot Set" with ISBN 0880796863 from 1993... What is this? It seems to be a little more expensive than the 'normal' RWS they're also selling.

I'd be thankful for any comments. :) Thanks in advance!

The 78th Fool

Hi Citrin,

Have a look at the two images attached below - they should answer your question. The edition in the blue box with the World Dancer on the front is the 1970's/ 1980's Rider and Sons edition. The cards are almost identical to the modern editions (based closely on the first edition of 1910) but they retain the original Pamela handwritten titles.

The edition with the dark blue box is the currently in print 'original' Rider Waite - a photo reproduction of a genuine deck dating from the post first world war period. The printing is a little cruder and the colours more muted but they have an appeal all of their own. Once again, these have the handwritten titles but they also have the bonus of using Pamela Coleman Smith's original back design. This comes as a deck on its own or as a deck/ book set (the one you mention).

The 80's blue box edition is long out of print but it's very easy to find one on ebay.

Chris. xx

Attachments

• Rider.Comparison.jpg
    Rider.Comparison.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,885
  • Rider.Comparison2.jpg
    Rider.Comparison2.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 431

Abrac

Hi Citrin

The blue-box Rider version mentioned by Chris is a safe bet if you find one.

The yellow-box version is probably the most affordable and easiest to find. It (and the Rider version) most-resembles the Pamela A. However, only the pre-1983 version has handwritten titles. 99% of the yellow-box versions I see on eBay claim to be the 1971 version, even brand new ones. If it says brand new and also says 1971, forget it. You really have to see the cards to know for sure. I would just start e-mailing sellers and ask them if the titles are handwritten. Sooner or later you'll find one.

Have you tried any second-hand shops?

Best of luck...

-fof

Fulgour

Hi Citrin

Citrin said:
More than ever I want an earlier copy. I'm hoping you experts here can help me out. ;)
This is one of those things that is so easy once you know how,
and as it so happens, I know how ~ I am sending you a PM :)

PS: I'm talking about a standard yellow box hand-lettered
Rider Tarot (no antiques or "originals") and they're great!

[Note: Typeset titles were added by USGames
sometime in the 90's...and not so early as '83.]

Citrin

Thanks for the replies, I appreciated them. :) Now sure I haven't seen those boxes around here, but...

Fulgour, you have a PM! :D

Sentient

Fulgour,

I am also very interested in obtaining a new copy (or copies) of the standard, yellow-box Rider-Waite deck with Pam's original calligraphy. I'm not looking for an antique or rare item, just the standard deck the way it used to be sold.

I did not know when the shift-over came about to the current typed-font look (I didn't know it was as far back as 1983), but I do think something important was lost in the process.

I'd be grateful if you could pass along some info.

Thanks very much!

Fulgour

Hi Sentient

There is ONE certain indication on the box
that will tell you if the cards have titles set
in computer font letters: The BOLD name!

PAMELA COLMAN SMITH

Click on to view box from computer font
typeset titles deck: click here for image.

It's funny (funny odd and funny ha-ha) but
so many of my friends have trouble "seeing"
what I am saying with this: the BOLD name!

If the name is not printed bold as shown above,
the cards will almost 100% for sure be script...

Script is what I call the hand-lettering. It's easy,
but if this isn't clear, or you need more details,
please feel free to ask.. it can be hard to figure.

Honestly, as Tarot Readers we should have the
knack for picking up on significant details but
my friends have all had trouble understanding.

It must be me! ;) So please do ask any questions
you may have... and I will try my best to help. :)

Sentient

Thank you, Fulgour.

Your kindness is much appreciated.

Abrac

Fulgour you already answered my question. I was about to ask you about this.

I see what you're saying. I have a deck with handwritten titles, and on the box Pamela Colman Smith and Arthur Edward Waite are the same size and boldness. In your scan, Pamela Colman Smith is WAY bigger and bolder than Arthur Edward Waite. Great observation!

There's also other stuff on the box in your scan that isn't on mine. Mine doesn't have, "Known As The Waite Tarot and The Rider-Waite Tarot" or three lines of copyright information at the bottom. Mine just says, "Copyright 1971 by US Games Systems, Inc., CT 06902."

I could be wrong about the 1983 date. I used to have a newer deck with typeset titles, and the copyright on the cards said 1971, 1983 if memory serves me. But that doesn't necessarily mean the method of printing the titles changed in 1983 I guess.

-fof