Question about care of deck

Jakta

Is it true that I need to keep my deck covered when not in use??

Disa

There are a lot of myths and misconceptions about the proper care and feeding of a deck. It really comes down to doing whatever you feel is right. If you want to cover it, by all means feel free to do so, but it there are no hard and fast rules as to what absolutely has to be done.

Take care,

Disa

sharpchick

I agree with Disa. I keep my decks in bags or boxes when not in use, but I have five cats and six birds, so there is plenty of opportunity for a deck to get knocked off the table, chewed on (or worse) or scattered where I could lose cards from it.

I know a professional reader whose reading deck is always in the middle of her reading table. But no one goes in there and messes with it.

So it just depends on your own circumstances.

MCsea

Jakta

HI there,

I like to keep mine covered - my SPECIAL pack I read with - but then again I look around my room and seee about 15 decks that are NOT covered and I use those - but then again they are covered by about 25 crystals..
hmm wanders off to ponder this situation!

MARINA

cheekyinchworm

Jakta,

It may be true for YOU. It's true for me--not in the sense that I have to keep my decks covered when not in use, but in the sense that I find that keeping my decks in bags, and/or wrapped in silk seems to me to keep the psychic "charge" on them and shields them from whatever random energies are around.

But more importantly, treating my decks in a special way helps me to get into the right sort of mental state when reading them. It helps me read better, or meditate better, and so on.

Perhaps this would be the case for you as well! It's something you can try. Experiment with it and see. But don't get the idea that you HAVE TO do this or that. You don't. But you might WANT to.

wytchwood

I think it makes sense to put decks away when not in use. I have a toddler and a clumsy husband to worry about and one of them would no doubt trash anything I was foolish enough to leave lying around! Aside from this, I think most decks would start to fade if left exposed to light. I used to like to keep my readings laid out on the table for hours afterwards so I could have another look, but it's a bit unwise as the printing fades after a while. Now I just write down the layout in a notebook so I can revisit it when required as I no longer have the luxury of spreading my stuff out willy nilly.

I don;t think there's a psychic reason for covering them, but as others have said, it is down to how you feel about this.

Umbrae

I keep mine in their boxes.

Some I keep in wooden boxes. I used to leave them out, but late at night they love to get up and cavort about. Early one morning I caught The Lovers and The Devil doing "something" in front of the vanity mirror…I had to separate them and put them in separate places in the deck as punishment.

:smoker:

mysticmonkey

I agree, I don't believe that you have to cover it but it's a nice thing to do. It's sort of respectful to the deck. Not that the deck knows anything about it, I just like to look after the things I own.
I put my mobile phone in a pouch and with my tarot deck I like to keep it wrapped in a cloth in a bag.
Not for any mystical reason but I just think it's a nice way to protect the deck and it looks nice and makes it feel more special somehow.

Plus it's fun to pick out bags and cloths that I like. :)

Baroli

Umbrae said:
I keep mine in their boxes.

Some I keep in wooden boxes. I used to leave them out, but late at night they love to get up and cavort about. Early one morning I caught The Lovers and The Devil doing "something" in front of the vanity mirror…I had to separate them and put them in separate places in the deck as punishment.

:smoker:

Ahhhh, what were they doin' playin' poker???:p

I keep mine either in the box, or in a bag, usually velvet or silk.

Baroli:D

Dave.vdv

i just keep them in the original box not spread out, never really thought about another way, i probly will buy some kind of box for it one day just for the funky part of it.
Still something close to you treaten with respect in a way.