View Single Post
Citizen

Dulcimer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
Yeah, but that doesn't make sense in the case of The Book of Thoth.
So, just a muddle then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeon418
In the intervening years, as his diaries prove, he used the Star and the Emperor on an either/or basis. Only in his later work, The Book of Thoth, does he make a definite step in the direction of the Star. Maybe?
"Either/or basis"? oh, perleez. If you two can't make your minds up how should we?

The part of SY which Ravenest refered to and I quoted is a supplement to Chapter 4 and doesn't appear in all translations. Methinks it is a later addition.
The point I was making (and going waaay off topic) was the line about Saturn corresponding to the sixth day of the week. EVERYONE in the whole wide world knows that Saturn means rest, rest means Sabbath, and Sabbath is the SEVENTH day of the Jewish calander.
I would say, on that evidence, that that passage was either written by an idiot or he had some other agenda. If he didn't know Jewish religion then he had no business writing in a Jewish mystical text; if he did know, then what else did he have in mind? I speculated on his motives if he intended to write what he did.

If the SY was all we had to support our views, and took it verbatim, then we would be sorry Occultists indeed. Fortunately we have analytical brains and neither Aleister Crowley nor The Golden Dawn are impervious to our cynicism. Some of us are not so easily impressed by prophecy and spirit guides .
Top   #58